• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Breckenridge 2/24-3/1

Heading out next week. In all my years of skiing, have never skied out west. Looking for any advice/info anyone is willing to offer regarding resort, food, whatever. For reference, I guess I'd label myself an advanced skier, so woods, bumps, steeps are all in play. I'll be taking boots and demo'ing while there. Here's a stupid question: do demos come with poles, or do they expect you to schlep poles out there with you? If so, I'll likely buy a pair while there. Arriving in Denver Saturday morning, seeing Furthur in Broomfield Saturday night, then heading to the resort on Sunday. Will be there through Friday. Staying in the Pine Ridge condo complex. Will be meeting up with some college buddies that I haven't seen in 20 years, so should be a fun time. It's my understanding that the Breckenridge ticket gets me access to the Vail resorts, so I'm up for a day trip to Keystone, Vail, etc.
It's obviously bigger than anything I've ever skied, so my tentative plan is to explore each peak area. Wondering what are the 'don't miss' spots (feel free to PM if it's something you'd rather not share publicly), what to avoid, etc. Anyway, thanks in advance for any info provided and will be sure to post up a TR upon return.

drjeff

They'll be some fun events going on at Vail next week as the Burton US Open Snowboarding Championships are there. The comp venues will take up less than 1% of Vail's terrain, and i'm guessing that between watching the athletes and also the likely non competiton related entertainment that they'll have that it should be a fun time

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
You should definitely reach out to Ski Stef and VDK03 who live right in Breckenridge. I'm sure they can point you to some insider tips!

Puck it

I liked everything off the T-bar. Lookers far right had some nice trees, it was the farhterest right peak. The Dam Brewery has great food and brew, there is another brewery forgt the name but the beer was good. Hit up the Moose something bar on the main drag in Frisco. Cheap PBR and Lite on tap.

C-Rex

I went last year and had a blast. If they're open, check out The Windows at Breck. I think they're off the E chair on Peak 9. You traverse across a ridge and drop into one of several chutes cut into the trees. They're super fun and usually hold more snow so they're good even when the other stuff is so-so. I didn't get to do much on the bowls because the snow was sub-par but I did a run down the Peak 7 bowl and into Ore Bucket, which is an excellent, choose-your-own-adventure style glade, and then down to the Peak 7 chairs. Definitely check out Breckenridge Brewery, they have some amazing beers, IMO, and damn good food too. I highly recommend the Vanilla Porter. Drink lots of water while you're there, the altitude will kick your ass if you're not ready for it.

steamboat1

Ski around the different areas that are good with your pass. Keystone & A-Basin are close to Breck & Vail/Beaver Creek are roughly an hours drive. When I was there I only skied one day at Breck even though I was staying right across the street from one of the chairs. Breck kinda reminded me of Okemo but on a much larger scale. I don't like Okemo.

Thanks. Yeah, just from looking at their websites, Keystone and A-Basin are on my hit-list. By the looks of it, it seems like up high and in the trees is where I'll want to be at Breck.

crank

I have skied out there a bunch but have never been to Keystone. A Basin is worthwhile. My advice is to drink a lot of water...before you are thirsty. The altitude sneaks up on you and - bonk. When skiing out west I always either wear a camelback or carry some water bladders in my pockets. Breck is pretty high altitude...you will be sleeping at 9000 feet above sea level. Hydrate often and carry some aspirin or vitamin i for headaches.

My favorite run at Breck is a mid-angled tree run called The Burn.

As far as other resorts in the region I would hit Vail, A Basin, Copper in that order.

Last time I stayed in Breckenridge we went to the brewery and saw Dave Mason playing there. Great town with tons of dining and shopping... Hint: buy stuff there as opposed to Vail!

C-Rex

Also, right below the T-Bar loading area is a nice, semi-hidden glade. I think most people are looking up hill and don't notice it on the other side of the traversing trail.

jimmywilson69

Lots of good Rec's I agree with.

Hit A-Basin you will not be dissapointed.
The Windows are supper cool
The Burn and Orebucket are super cool
Everything off of the T-Bar is worth the leg burning ride multiple times

Hit Q 4 U in frisco. Some Damn good bbq. I prefer the burnt end sandwich.

jimmywilson69

Rogman

The Burn (a gladed area off of peak 10) is good, and the runs off the 'E' lift on peak 9 will definitely challenge you. Everything off the 6 lift is good (just below the top), and from the Imperial Super Chair be sure to go over the back to the "Whales Tale". Front side of that is meh. Lookers left off the T-Bar is the Horseshoe bowl, also great, lookers right has some interesting trees. Overall, I found the T-Bar to be a PITA to ride. There are a lot of "eastern" type tree runs on the lower sections of the mountain, but they aren't marked. You can see them from the lifts if you know what to look for. The altitude is a killer; drink tons of water when you first get there. Can't stress that enough.

amf

Watch the altitude & go easy on the alcohol. They don't call it Summit County for nuttin'.

jimmywilson69

Water Drinking is a must. I've never had an issue with the "Altitude" but I primarily drink water, and beer of course!

If you go to A-Basin, get a bacon bloody mary. Seriously the best bloody mary I have ever had!

dmc

I've skied the area where the Avalanche happened it's not super steep, but does have a big cornice up top. Crazy to think that after they bombed it, that the snow still slid.

Pretty much why I ride with a transceiver out west...
Just because it's in bounds doesn't mean it won't slide...

Cornhead

If you hit Copper, be careful of all the blacks, they'll beat you up, and some of them aren't very well groomed, but if you want the good white powder, that's where you should go. :wink: Have fun, it'll be quite the upgrade from Elk!