• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

23" and first tracks on Big Jay

STREETSKIER

Pretty risky going alone Just sayin. The guys over on tgr dig your act!! when will you come to sb I could use some help finding the goods

gereddunne

Nick, in your defense, I've never really seen one either. But if you really want to blow your mind, google tele board. Still waiting for the split technology to trickle down to that one... and the monoski. RIP great ski dreams.

As to slide brook, I prefer to tackle New England's most dangerous well known ski spots solo. Enhances the street cred, etc. But if you want to get out on a trip around the Mad River Valley, I'd love some company. Contrary to popular belief, the blog MO is to keep tours we 'join in on' off the record.

octopus

Yeah I've heard of it before and I probably could have googled it. I guess I have just never really seen one.
i guess they are kinda rare. i just finally got one myself after years of wanting one, can't wait to try it out. i've never skied before, should be interesting.

Huck_It_Baby

i guess they are kinda rare. i just finally got one myself after years of wanting one, can't wait to try it out. i've never skied before, should be interesting.

So what kind of skins do you guys use on a split board?

octopus

idk. im still getting all the pieces. i think you just use voile and trim to fit? theres a few other companies too, i think. its all new to me

Huck_It_Baby

idk. im still getting all the pieces. i think you just use voile and trim to fit? theres a few other companies too, i think. its all new to me

Once split those planks are probably pretty wide. Usually you will want near edge to edge converage with the skin so I thought perhaps there are extra wide skins that boarders use. Tip and tail connections are probably different too.

Check out:

http://www.backcountry.com/split-snowboard-skins

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com

Are they any downsides? Less torsional rigidity? How do they actually attach / come apart?

I like the idea quite a bit.

Kinda like hardbooters or monoski ... not all that common

fbrissette

Are they any downsides? Less torsional rigidity? How do they actually attach / come apart?

I like the idea quite a bit.

Kinda like hardbooters or monoski ... not all that common

I'm not a snowboarder, but I have a friend who splitboards quite a bit. Splitboards vs snowboards are kinda like alpine touring boots vs straight downhill ski boots. The very best will come reasonably close in terms of downhill performance, but they will be very expensive.

http://thegoodride.com/snowboard-reviews/jones-carbon-solution/

octopus

I'm not a snowboarder, but I have a friend who splitboards quite a bit. Splitboards vs snowboards are kinda like alpine touring boots vs straight downhill ski boots. The very best will come reasonably close in terms of downhill performance, but they will be very expensive.

whoa. that thing is top of the line for sure, but not what i'm looking for now. they attach together with swing clips on the nose and tail and hooks in the middle. i think once you mount the bindings in snowboard mode, the torsional rigidity issues would be minimal. i'll try to post pics of my burton spliff if you want to check it out

soulseller

It has been a couple years since I've considered picking up a splitboard, I choose to re-learn to ski last year instead in attempt to get my touring fix. Two seasons in and I feel like I have another couple to go before I have the confidence on skis as I do on a board part of me wonders if I should give in and just buy a split.

Wouldn't the quality of ride or torsional stiffness be effected more so by the quality of hardware then the board itself? IIRC, Voile is, or at least was, the standard for hardware/bindings.