• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

23" and first tracks on Big Jay

polski

Website
twitter.com
But if you want to get out on a trip around the Mad River Valley, I'd love some company. Contrary to popular belief, the blog MO is to keep tours we 'join in on' off the record.

Not trying to be a d*ck but I think you've fed "popular belief" - in short, that no secret is sacred with you guys - with some things you've said in that TGR thread and in comments on your own blog. So I'm trying to grasp something. Understood that your Last of the Mohicans quote in that comment thread was hyperbole, and your colleague Randonnee Andy noted further down in that thread that no "private 'secret' stashes" have been burned (is the operative word there "private" as in on private land?). At the same time, though, you seem determined to post details on some spots that have not seen the light of the intertubes before. I won't get into whether that's "good" or "bad" or whatever. But if you "join in on" a tour, what exactly do you mean by "off the record"? Would you never write about any of the spots in that tour? By agreeing to join someone else's tour you'd be narrowing down the list of places you might find on your own and then, if you are so inclined, write up. OTOH if you took your own tour to one of these spots at some point in the future, using any info learned on the earlier shared tour, and then wrote it up, wouldn't that be burning your original "hosts"?

I admit to mixed feelings about this. Of course I enjoy reading about spots (and I've paid money for the Goodman books) but in my own limited bc experience I've found a lot of the fun is in researching places on my own and then, when conditions permit, reaping pow turns in them. I get greater satisfaction out of that than if I'd followed some color-by-numbers directions, especially if that resulted in competition for fresh tracks in a limited number of lines. I'm not that bad of a snow snob, I can have plenty of fun in chop, but when I am making a concerted effort for first tracks I want first tracks ... especially if on lines I'd found and cleared myself.

gereddunne

Not trying to be a d*ck but I think you've fed "popular belief" - in short, that no secret is sacred with you guys - with some things you've said in that TGR thread and in comments on your own blog. So I'm trying to grasp something. Understood that your Last of the Mohicans quote in that comment thread was hyperbole, and your colleague Randonnee Andy noted further down in that thread that no "private 'secret' stashes" have been burned (is the operative word there "private" as in on private land?). At the same time, though, you seem determined to post details on some spots that have not seen the light of the intertubes before. I won't get into whether that's "good" or "bad" or whatever. But if you "join in on" a tour, what exactly do you mean by "off the record"? Would you never write about any of the spots in that tour? By agreeing to join someone else's tour you'd be narrowing down the list of places you might find on your own and then, if you are so inclined, write up. OTOH if you took your own tour to one of these spots at some point in the future, using any info learned on the earlier shared tour, and then wrote it up, wouldn't that be burning your original "hosts"?

I admit to mixed feelings about this. Of course I enjoy reading about spots (and I've paid money for the Goodman books) but in my own limited bc experience I've found a lot of the fun is in researching places on my own and then, when conditions permit, reaping pow turns in them. I get greater satisfaction out of that than if I'd followed some color-by-numbers directions, especially if that resulted in competition for fresh tracks in a limited number of lines. I'm not that bad of a snow snob, I can have plenty of fun in chop, but when I am making a concerted effort for first tracks I want first tracks ... especially if on lines I'd found and cleared myself.

Chicken or the egg i guess... I haven't made a lot of return trips (or any) to the places I've been, for the same reason you give for enjoying a day in the backcountry - I enjoy the experience getting out and skiing someplace new. Wouldn't really be a need to get back in the next week and burn it all over the web. There are plenty of good spots out there. Not sure what kind of consolation I can offer you beyond that. The policy is intended to be a reasonable gentlemen's agreement, one way or the other. It's better to agree to disagree on the maps and keep it friendly, than divulge into troll-calling.

kingdom-tele

I own the Street. So I don't need anymore cred. And I make lots of maps of streets, so I have that going for me. :spin::spin::spin::spin:

well, well, forgive me kind sir.:)

the whole getting out someplace new reminds me of a great story. pretty fuzzy on the dates, must have been 2001, 2002 maybe, standing at east burke sports after a great 6" powder day at burke. talking to one of the guys who was working there about some of the skiing we ventured into, the first time for us, we were just thrilled with the ski we had in a new place on the mountain, he smiles and reminsices about his first time through the same area many years prior to us. it dawned on me then, just because its your first time, its probably something someone has been skiing for years, that perspective taught me a lot./stupidstory

gerry- while you may only hit things once and move on, maybe keep in mind some of us are skiing the same areas over and over and over:)

octopus

IMG_1324.jpg

for nick. kick ass snowboard