• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Advice on Expanding the Quiver

timm

Shopping for a dedicated AT setup inspired me to upgrade my options for list served days as well. Right now operating with a quiver of one, Blizzard Magnum 8.1s. 60% of the time I couldn't be happier with this. But 20% of the time, though, it's brutal hardpack and ice, the woods are barren and I wish I had something a bit more suited. Another 20% of the time, Ullr's smiling, it's deep as hell and I wish I had something for that too, which would also be more functional out West for those rare occasions.

Figure for a powder ski, something around 100mm under foot (still live in New England after all, super fats would be mostly wasted here). Bonafides? Mantras? Open to all suggstions!

For an ice carver...something around 70mm. Honestly have no skis in mind, I don't see much coverage of skis under 80mm these days!

I thank you for helping me to spend my money. My wife does not thank you ;)

ScottySkis

I have none, but go the local hill and make some turns in the snow today, skip work if you can is my advice.

BenedictGomez

I don't see much coverage of skis under 80mm these days!

IMO, that's because of marketing and the fact that the consumer has mentally moved to wide and fat skis, and not due to performance.

If I'm skiing on icy/poor conditions or a place like the Poconos where it doesn't snow, I'm on my 65mm underfoot skis, and they're fantastic for that.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
IMO, that's because of marketing and the fact that the consumer has mentally moved to wide and fat skis, and not due to performance.

If I'm skiing on icy/poor conditions or a place like the Poconos where it doesn't snow, I'm on my 65mm underfoot skis, and they're fantastic for that.

Maybe we will reverse course soon and skis will be narrower. 20mm underfoot!

Edit: 10,000!

57stevey

Shopping for a dedicated AT setup inspired me to upgrade my options for list served days as well. Right now operating with a quiver of one, Blizzard Magnum 8.1s. 60% of the time I couldn't be happier with this. But 20% of the time, though, it's brutal hardpack and ice, the woods are barren and I wish I had something a bit more suited. Another 20% of the time, Ullr's smiling, it's deep as hell and I wish I had something for that too, which would also be more functional out West for those rare occasions.

Figure for a powder ski, something around 100mm under foot (still live in New England after all, super fats would be mostly wasted here). Bonafides? Mantras? Open to all suggstions!

For an ice carver...something around 70mm. Honestly have no skis in mind, I don't see much coverage of skis under 80mm these days!

I thank you for helping me to spend my money. My wife does not thank you ;)

Well, I added a 65mm ski recently to supplement my 84mm daily drivers. (And this was a good year to do so up until not too long ago!) If you are keeping the Magnums, why add another stout-ish ski for your top end? I am pretty much at that point and will be looking for something more surfy like a Rossi S3 or maybe an all-mountain twin of some kind (Soul Rider?)

timm

Yeah definitely want something softer for the top end -- Bonafides and Mantras don't fit that bill. Was just spitballing at 1am I guess. Based on some suggestions from Epic, looking at Nordica Hell & Back, Head Rev 105s and the Blizzard Kabookie (softer than the Bonafides).

OffPeak

Look at my post Back to the Future in the Gear Forum. My main ski is a Line Profit 90 and I just purchased a set of Volkl SuperSport 5 Stars for the hard pack and iceier conditions. Takes a bit of adjusting between the new school mid fats and an older school ski like the 5 Stars. They (5 Stars) worked great at Killinton Presidents Week.

Cheese

Yeah definitely want something softer for the top end -- Bonafides and Mantras don't fit that bill. Was just spitballing at 1am I guess. Based on some suggestions from Epic, looking at Nordica Hell & Back, Head Rev 105s and the Blizzard Kabookie (softer than the Bonafides).

Don't be afraid to go really fat, soft and rockered tip and tail just because you're a New England powder skier. When there's only 6", it's mush or it's wind packed, the extra float is a nice "cheat". Just be prepared for skis that'll skid like crazy with the tips and tails flapping like noodles making your way to the goods.