• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pond skimming that draws particularly large number of participants?

New Daddy

Is any of Loon, Waterville Valley, Gunstock, or Mt. Sunapee known to draw a large number of participants at their pond skimming? My son was very disappointed to miss the pond skimming at Gunstock last year due to a punctured pool (can you believe that?), and it was the last pond skimming of the season to boot. So, I'd like to make it up for him this year.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Participating or viewing?
Burke's is a ton of fun. You get unlimited runs across the ponds as well. That is, as long as you keep making it across pond as they keep moving the start point futher down the hill after each round.
DSC06123.jpg

DSC01916.jpg

octopus

i would think loon would have the best turnout of the mtns you posted.

drjeff

Mount Snow typically QUICKLY fills up to their maximum preset number of 100 skimmers!

If its even remotely a nice day, you'll have well over 500 and often many more spectators around the pond in the main base area- the skim this year is Saturday March 23rd

drjeff

This I do not understand. If I wanted to waterski, I'd have stayed in Austin. I mean - doesn't it eff up your boots and skis and whatnot?

Not that different than at the end of a spring day when you're feet are soaked and then you dry your boots out and they're perfectly fine the next day. So pretty much unless you're reallly planning on skiing after your pond skim run (presuming that you don't make it across ;) ) instead of just hanging out at the requisite pond skimming outdoor bar and BBQ and reliving your greatness with friends over a few drinks, its a non issue!

Last edited:

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Not that different than at the end of a spring day when you're feet are soaked and then you dry your boots out and they're perfectly fine the next day. So pretty much unless you're reallly planning on skiing after your pond skim run (presuming that you don't make it across ;) ) instead of just hanging out at the requisite pond skimming outdoor bar and BBQ and relieving your greatness with friends over a few drinks, its a non issue!

Exactly. Just pull the liners and dry out the boots. Your skis get snowy/wet everytime you use them.

dlague

Rentals - great idea! Did a pond skim a few years back and didn't make it across and the day was done! I had already planned on getting new boots so I did not care outside of missing out on sking later that day! My son just took his liners out and put them in the sun and they were fine!