• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing on Tripoli Rd (NH) ?

Bumpsis

Does anyone know if Tripoli Rd (NH, just south of Lincoln for those not in the know) is mostly a "snowmobile domain" in winter time or do XC or back country skiers use that road?

The road is closed off to car traffic in winter so I imagine that this would be a really great streach of territory for XC and other free heel based skiing. I'm just concerned that this being a wide open road, it gets taken over by the snowmobiling crowd. It can rather scary to be on XC skiis and have to deal with the snowmobiles zipping by at high speeds. Some "slednecks" really get territorial and have a distinctive dislike for for non-motorized snow moving folk.

I just recently explored the road on a mountain bike and can really see the potential of enjoying the road in winter even on my equipment that's more designed for XC track than unbroken snow.

dlague

Snowmobile tours out of Lincoln start there! They trailer over a bunch of sleds and the tour starts right where the road is closed. That in mind, I am sure others non tour related snowmobile activity takes place! You may want to be careful!

Johnskiismore

Website
www.skine.net
If you do it early enough, it's great! What I mean by early is before its open for snowmobile traffic, sometimes we luck out and have enough accumulation in December to XC ski it. Hope you get to do it! Once the SM are on it, not too much fun

Bumpsis

Just curious as to how much of a base do snowmoblers need for their machines? Is that the major factor that determines when Tripoli Road stats getting motorized snow traffic rather than a specfic time of the winter season say, December 15th or some other predesigned date?

Huck_It_Baby

Just curious as to how much of a base do snowmoblers need for their machines? Is that the major factor that determines when Tripoli Road stats getting motorized snow traffic rather than a specfic time of the winter season say, December 15th or some other predesigned date?

I've seen slednecks drive over asphalt before so I would think they could handle little base but I'm no expert.

If it's a location you really want to explore I would just go and not worry about snowmobilers. Stay to the side of the road and be friendly when they pass.