• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stratton 11/24/2013

Glenn

It was a cold and windy start to the day yesterday. "We'll just lap the gondola!" After a quick jaunt up rt30, we're locking up our skis and see a stationary gondola "Closed due to high winds." Lovely.

We took American Express over to Ursa. We skied pretty much everything that was open over there; Black Bear, Polar Bear, Bear Bottom and Frank's Fall Line. I personally liked the run out at the end of Frank's Fall Line; it was great for some high speed turns.

Conditions weren't too bad. The surface was firm and got a bit skied off as the day went on. It started to get a bit busier as well. Overall, not bad. Good edge to edge coverage and the runs were of a good distance. They were hammering the snow guns on the closed trails. I think they said they had about 300 going yesterday? Looking forward to skiing there as they expand their terrain.

xwhaler

Seems about exactly how it was at Okemo. The Northstar HSQ closed about 11 due to high winds.

drjeff

It was windy as a bastard yesterday> Glad you guys still got to make some turns.

I will admit that I was pleasantly surprised, based on the house shaking gusts that I woke up to in VT yesterday AM, that Mount Snow had the Bluebird running at somewhere around 75% or so of the usual line speed. I was pretty sure that it was going to be windhold central going on!

The winds also sucked at Gillette Stadium last night for the Patriots-Broncos game! They would of sucked even more if the Pats played the 2nd 1/2 like the 1st 1/2 and lost that game ;)

Bene288

How is Stratton's snow making? I'm thinking of heading there mid next week due to cheap tickets. Not sure how their base will be after this storm though.

Bene288

That's the answer I was hoping for. This storm didn't produce the precip that was initially forecasted, and with the upcoming cold temps I imagine a lot of places will put the hammer down with snow making.