• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Camelback Pa - Peak Resorts?

trackbiker

This has been going on a lot lately in the ski industry where a real estate investment trust buys the property and then leases it back to the operator. It is a way for operators to get money for improvements or to get equity out of the business. It has nothing to do with who operates the ski area. I'm sure there are tax advantages involved for one or both parties.
From the article, " As an REIT, EPR’s ownership strategy is to purchase resorts and lease them back to their operators. Camelback is currently leased to CBH2O, which has operated the resort since 2005 and has committed to an additional 20-year term."

drjeff

Also fits the general Peak resort genre. I.E. a resort where the day trip business, as opposed to the real estate and/or full ski week business is the primary focus. Plus it's close to a decent population base and has some year round guest activity options in place. They can come in and run the place and focus on making minor "tweaks" to its current physical plant and enhance operations rather than having to come in and immediately invest a large amount of capital to bring the resort up to current standards

4aprice

Also fits the general Peak resort genre. I.E. a resort where the day trip business, as opposed to the real estate and/or full ski week business is the primary focus. Plus it's close to a decent population base and has some year round guest activity options in place. They can come in and run the place and focus on making minor "tweaks" to its current physical plant and enhance operations rather than having to come in and immediately invest a large amount of capital to bring the resort up to current standards

CBK is in the process of building a 450 room slopeside hotel with indoor water park and I'm pretty positive that was instrumental in the deal. It sure would be nice to see them team up with the other Peak Resorts but with CBH20 still the operator I won't hold my breath. I certainly think they would be a good partner to other areas as they do draw well. That 900,000 attendance figure has got to be for the entire year (ski/adventure park/water park) as I've always understood ski/board visits were anywhere between 350,000 to 450,000 per season. (still not too shabby). There has also been a rumor (unconfirmed) that they may be trying to bring gambling to said hotel. A multi-mountain pass would keep me there at least for the weekdays, otherwise with the hotel opening next December I'm gone only to go back at selected times to see friends.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

radskier

I have yet to have a good skiing experience at Camelback. Granted all trips were on weekends, but it is far too crowded and dangerous. Too many people skiing that don't know what they are doing.

ScottySkis

I have yet to have a good skiing experience at Camelback. Granted all trips were on weekends, but it is far too crowded and dangerous. Too many people skiing that don't know what they are doing.

Try elk nit to crowded and some nice expert trails.