• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What is Route 9 like from Mount Snow to I-87?

New Daddy

What is Route 9 from Dover to Troy like?

I have a ski trip to Mount Snow coming up before X-mas, at the end of which I have to travel south to NJ for family gathering. Route 9 - Route 7 - I 87 is the shortest route that Google Maps advises, but Route 9 cuts right across Woodford State Park, and we all know Google Maps rarely takes winter conditions into calculation. My family enjoys venturing on new routes for a change, but if Route 9 is too dicey, we might as well take I-91, which will take only 10 more minutes according to Google.

ScottySkis

Average speed is about 50 mph. In non storm it is good. The Vermont part the road is kind of scenic.

4aprice

I take I-87, to exit 23 I-787 to Rt 9 Troy. Troy is a pain in the ass (lots o lights) but the rest of the road over to Bennington is ok.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

jaytrem

I take the Taconic most of the time via Bear Mountain Bridge. Pretty much a guaranteed 3:55-4:00 (unless there's a snow storm). 87 will shave off 10 minutes or so, but the ride it a lot less relaxing. 9 is fine and recently got finer with the Bennington Bypass opening. Troy can be a pain, but even that has gotten better over the years, and there are ways around the traffic if you're going during rush hour (google Frear Park). The VT part can get a bit hairy sometimes in a snow storm, but the DOT knows that and plow like crazy. I'm not a fan of 91 at all, 91 itself is fine, but getting over that way can be trouble at any time. Enjoy!!!

Euler

Its a good road that winds through some small mountains. To get to I-91 you'd have to take route 9 the other road which is also a good road that winds through some mountains, only for a shorter distance and at a slightly lower elevation. If conditions are bad enough to make you worry, either direction will be difficult.

drjeff

Its a good road that winds through some small mountains. To get to I-91 you'd have to take route 9 the other road which is also a good road that winds through some mountains, only for a shorter distance and at a slightly lower elevation. If conditions are bad enough to make you worry, either direction will be difficult.

Bingo!

Euler hit the nail on the head. If the road conditions are a bit dicey, there's no "flat" way to get to Mount Snow. That being said, VT DOT typically does a very good job with Rte 9 coming from either direction. FWIW, I personally think the ride in to Wilmington and Rte 100N is "flatter" from the Brattleboro/I-91 side than it is from the Bennington/I-87 side, but either way on Rte 9 you're still climbing up and over a decent mountain pass

New Daddy

Bingo!

Euler hit the nail on the head. If the road conditions are a bit dicey, there's no "flat" way to get to Mount Snow. That being said, VT DOT typically does a very good job with Rte 9 coming from either direction. FWIW, I personally think the ride in to Wilmington and Rte 100N is "flatter" from the Brattleboro/I-91 side than it is from the Bennington/I-87 side, but either way on Rte 9 you're still climbing up and over a decent mountain pass

Speaking of "flat" road, I think Okemo beats everyone. The steepest inclination I face on route to Okemo from Boston is probably the Access Road. ;-) Yeah, if Okemo lets you down with flat trails, at least it compensates you with flat travel! And I say this as an Okemo fan.

twinplanx

Not to derail this thread but has anyone used the Crown Point bridge recently? If remember correctly it was reconstructed in the last year or two... I've only used it once on our way to Southern VT from Plattsburgh, but I could see it being a viable option to points North from 87...

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk

4aprice

Not to derail this thread but has anyone used the Crown Point bridge recently? If remember correctly it was reconstructed in the last year or two... I've only used it once on our way to Southern VT from Plattsburgh, but I could see it being a viable option to points North from 87...

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk

I haven't used it since the reconstruct but have used it in the past. Its a decent way to Sugarbush/Mad River and north. 74 (I think that's the #) is a very pretty drive from Schroon Lake to Ticondaroga. I don't know if it cuts any time off the 149/4/22A combination to the same location.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I take I-87, to exit 23 I-787 to Rt 9 Troy. Troy is a pain in the ass (lots o lights) but the rest of the road over to Bennington is ok.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
This is the way I usually go. Sometimes, if the conditions are right, I like to take 287 > Tappen "Andy" Zee bridge > Merritt/CT15 > 91 > MA2 > MA112/VT112 > VT100 >VT9

It's not really a time saver, but when the conditions are right the Merritt is a fun road to drive on.