• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snowboarder hits kid, kids father punches snowboarder (video)

mister moose

1. Please allow me to define merge, again.....

Dear Killington;

Please paint dashed lane lines on Superstar, Skyelark, Double Dipper, Lower East Fall, and any other High Speed Highway Star environs. Also any slow speed runouts with mixed ability traffic. And the lunch line. And Bay 2 and 3.

Thanks.

Yer pal,

M Moose.

xlr8r

I am a police officer and there is no such thing as a no fault accident. There is no fault insurance coverage for medical bills but that really has nothing to do with who's to blame in an accident. The only thing that removes responsibility from drivers in Massachusetts are "acts of god"....a deer smashes into your vehicle, a tornado destroys your car, etc.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AlpineZone mobile app

I get that for purposes of insurance and Law that all auto accidents do place blame on somebody in the end, but IMO there are cases where it can be too tough to determine blame. There are also situations where both parties should accept partial blame rather than putting all or nearly all blame on a single party and make them pay for the consequences of everyone involved. That's what I mean by my use of "Racing Incident". When a racing crash or incident happens were both vehicles/drivers are partially to blame for the cause of the incident. Therefore it makes no sense to penalize one driver/race car in addition to the immediate effects of the incident probably has negatively affected both drivers/teams chances of winning.

IMO our society is too caught up in placing blame instead of owning ones self up to their own mistakes.

Highway Star

Ever consider that when you get hit from behind, you might have done something that helped cause it........................?

MadMadWorld

Ever consider that when you get hit from behind, you might have done something that helped cause it........................?

Fair point. But there is a difference between putting yourself in a bad position and being responsible for the accident. There is something to be learned by all parties involved.

MadMadWorld

I get that for purposes of insurance and Law that all auto accidents do place blame on somebody in the end, but IMO there are cases where it can be too tough to determine blame. There are also situations where both parties should accept partial blame rather than putting all or nearly all blame on a single party and make them pay for the consequences of everyone involved. That's what I mean by my use of "Racing Incident". When a racing crash or incident happens were both vehicles/drivers are partially to blame for the cause of the incident. Therefore it makes no sense to penalize one driver/race car in addition to the immediate effects of the incident probably has negatively affected both drivers/teams chances of winning.

IMO our society is too caught up in placing blame instead of owning ones self up to their own mistakes.

And that is true with insurance companies as well. In Massachusetts, whoever is more than 50% at fault is the responsible party. Doesn't matter if it's split 55/45 the responsible party pays up for the damages. It's probably not the best way to deal with it but it's been the most effective. Otherwise, things get dragged out in legal battles and everyone loses.

And that is true with insurance companies as well. In Massachusetts, whoever is more than 50% at fault is the responsible party. Doesn't matter if it's split 55/45 the responsible party pays up for the damages. It's probably not the best way to deal with it but it's been the most effective. Otherwise, things get dragged out in legal battles and everyone loses.

this is true only in some states...depends on their comparitive negligence laws

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com

I hear what you are saying and I look around. I count 17 times that I glance sideways or behind myself in the video below. I'm especially cautious when "changing lanes" on crowded trails to make sure I'm not traversing into someone else's path (notice I didn't say "merging" :lol:).

The problem is, how many skier and riders are confident enough in their ability to be able to look over their shoulder when moving? Looking uphill before starting to move is easy, but doing that when moving is more difficult and it can be scary for beginners AND intermediates. It takes a lot of confidence to take their eyes off of their own line.

I suppose if it were up to H.S., only advanced and expert skiers/riders should be allowed on mountains. Everyone else is too dangerous to be around.

dlague

I hear what you are saying and I look around. I count 17 times that I glance sideways or behind myself in the video below. I'm especially cautious when "changing lanes" on crowded trails to make sure I'm not traversing into someone else's path (notice I didn't say "merging" :lol:).

The problem is, how many skier and riders are confident enough in their ability to be able to look over their shoulder when moving? Looking uphill before starting to move is easy, but doing that when moving is more difficult and it can be scary for beginners AND intermediates. It takes a lot of confidence to take their eyes off of their own line.

Case and point!

We were skiing with some friends at Bretton Woods and one of their teenagers who was still learning for the most part was skiing ahead of everyone. About mid way down, I think in his own amazement, decided to look back to see how far ahead he was. In doing so, lifted the ski on the same side that he was looking back on, caught and edge and proceeded to take a huge digger. It is very common for less experienced skiers to do this!

The best thing to do is haul ass - beat everyone to the bottom so you never have to look back! HAHAHA!

Just kidding!

Highway Star

I suppose if it were up to H.S., only advanced and expert skiers/riders should be allowed on mountains. Everyone else is too dangerous to be around.

I was going to compliment you on how safely you skied that trail, but you really should work on your floppy pole planting.

Last edited:

dlague

I was going to compliment you on how safely you skied that trail, but you really should work on your floppy pole planting.

How many really pole plant, I mean technically pole plant on a run like this! And frankly, who cares how someone pole plants anyhow! I have been skiing a long time and I could care less what some one thinks about technique! Why do people have to go there? Looked like a nice run to me!

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com

Can you show me a GoPro POV video where pole planting looks good? The distortion at the edge of the screen caused by the fish eye lens makes it look like the poles look more floppy than they really are.

I'm ready for a ski off!

bigbog

The lack of concern for the little girl's safety on the behalf of the teen is on video. The "I'm so sorry", after the fact, is such BS(I can't wait for him to have a driver's license).
Trying to exploit one's "Right of Way", pending some previous case(I'm clueless) is total BS. The teen needed to be punished for not using good judgement and the father seemed to have done what the teen's parents have Failed To Do = instill the spirit of using one's good judgement to maintain safety on the mountain...which should be done the first day on the mountain with dad, obviously not. The teen needs to be banished from the mountain for months...maybe that would get some bit of info into his brain. To whine that the teen will now be subjected to deep, psychological trama throughout life via a punch or two is such BS.
The little girl is the victim...the teen is the guilty party. Looks on video like today's teen/20-something's idea of jokes uploaded to YouTube, which it was...lol(Right).

Last edited:

MadMadWorld

Can you show me a GoPro POV video where pole planting looks good? The distortion at the edge of the screen caused by the fish eye lens makes it look like the poles look more floppy than they really are.

I'm ready for a ski off!

Don't sweat it if that's the worst thing he could pick out.