• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lake Effect At It Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadMadWorld

I think I am just going to find some investors and build my own mountain....

NYZ012-085-062030-
/O.CON.KBUF.LE.W.0001.140106T1600Z-140108T1100Z/
/O.CON.KBUF.WC.W.0003.140106T2300Z-140107T2300Z/
WYOMING-SOUTHERN ERIE-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WARSAW...ORCHARD PARK...SPRINGVILLE
725 AM EST MON JAN 6 2014

...LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 11 AM THIS
MORNING TO 6 AM EST WEDNESDAY...
...WIND CHILL WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO
6 PM EST TUESDAY...

* LOCATIONS...WYOMING AND SOUTHERN ERIE COUNTIES.

* TIMING...LATE THIS MORNING THROUGH LATE TUESDAY NIGHT.

* HAZARDS...HEAVY LAKE EFFECT SNOW...BLOWING SNOW WITH WHITEOUT
CONDITIONS...AND DANGEROUS WIND CHILLS.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...3 TO 5 INCHES TODAY...8 TO 15 INCHES
TONIGHT...9 TO 17 INCHES TUESDAY...AND 2 TO 4 INCHES TUESDAY
NIGHT...LEADING TO STORM TOTALS OF MORE THAN 3 FEET IN THE
MOST PERSISTENT LAKE SNOWS.

Snowlover

I think I am just going to find some investors and build my own mountain....

NYZ012-085-062030-
/O.CON.KBUF.LE.W.0001.140106T1600Z-140108T1100Z/
/O.CON.KBUF.WC.W.0003.140106T2300Z-140107T2300Z/
WYOMING-SOUTHERN ERIE-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WARSAW...ORCHARD PARK...SPRINGVILLE
725 AM EST MON JAN 6 2014

...LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 11 AM THIS
MORNING TO 6 AM EST WEDNESDAY...
...WIND CHILL WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO
6 PM EST TUESDAY...

* LOCATIONS...WYOMING AND SOUTHERN ERIE COUNTIES.

* TIMING...LATE THIS MORNING THROUGH LATE TUESDAY NIGHT.

* HAZARDS...HEAVY LAKE EFFECT SNOW...BLOWING SNOW WITH WHITEOUT
CONDITIONS...AND DANGEROUS WIND CHILLS.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...3 TO 5 INCHES TODAY...8 TO 15 INCHES
TONIGHT...9 TO 17 INCHES TUESDAY...AND 2 TO 4 INCHES TUESDAY
NIGHT...LEADING TO STORM TOTALS OF MORE THAN 3 FEET IN THE
MOST PERSISTENT LAKE SNOWS.
Highest snowfall east of the rockies. Why there aren't more ski area's there is beyond me. And you wouldn't need any of that fake snowgun crap snow there either, which would save a lot of operational costs.

Snowlover

Because there are no mountains
Yeah the terrain is weak, but you have plenty of places with 500 to maybe as much as 1000 vertical you could find. I'd rather hit up an area up there with 500 foot vertical with 2 feet of freshies than jiminy peak with 1000+ vertical with fake ice/snow crap to ride on. Close proximity to population centeres of albany/syracuse/rochester as well. So it's not deserted like vermont either.

Snowlover

Where on the Tug Hill plateau are these places? MAYBE a place or two with that as a max vert but a lot of that isn't anywhere near steep enough to ski 5 feet of powder.
You don't need it to be that steep with modern wide ski's with rocker. That's old school 210cm 64mm wide ski where you have to be going mach 1 down a 50 degree slope. Any of the main trails at wachusett for example other than the carpet/beginner area is steep enough for that kind of powder. So as long as you can find something like that with no flat spots you'll be fine(and you can use heavy machinery and dirt to increase slope angle on a flat spot. Hell in the backcountry to avoid avalanche's people will ski BOTTOMLESS powder all the time in non steep area's.

MadMadWorld

You don't need it to be that steep with modern wide ski's with rocker. That's old school 210cm 64mm wide ski where you have to be going mach 1 down a 50 degree slope. Any of the main trails at wachusett for example other than the carpet area is steep enough for that kind of powder. So as long as you can find something like that with no flat spots you'll be fine(and you can use heavy machinery and dirt to increase slope angle on a flat spot.

No way is Wachusett setup for that. Very few mountains are. If you skied off the Minuteman in those conditions you would pretty much have to walk half way down the mountain before you could even think about getting enough momentum. Summit wouldn't be too bad until the run out then it would suck.

Snowlover

No way is Wachusett setup for that. Very few mountains are. If you skied off the Minuteman in those conditions you would pretty much have to walk half way down the mountain before you could even think about getting enough momentum. Summit wouldn't be too bad until the run out then it would suck.
You couldn't ski wachusett in 2 feet of dry powder? Of course you could. There are area's out west that have that same type of steepness and leave FEET of powder on the trail. Damn man..You are soooo east coast ;) lol.....Ok next time you get a big dump of 2 feet of dry powder. Go to a BIG golf course hill the same steepness as wawa and point your wide ski's straight down and go. You won't sink/have to walk. Trust me.
You do realize there's snow ridge right in turin, ny where people ski 3 feet or powder and It's not steeper than wachusett from what I've heard.

Snowlover

The only thing stopping skiing on powder at wachusett are the insane crowds ratio to available terrain. And thet groom everything flat.

Snowlover

The idea that you think you can't ski your average blue trail in the northeast in powder is absurd. Ever been to mt snow after a 1-2 foot powder dump? They leave plenty of blues untouched. Never a problem on them if you know how to ski pow

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Straightlining powder sucks. Snow Ridge does have about a 460 ft vert with a pretty good pitch in several places. I would surmise that it actually skis pretty well with several feet of powder. That said, a place in that region with closer to 1000' of vert would be pretty sweet :)

MadMadWorld

You couldn't ski wachusett in 2 feet of dry powder? Of course you could. There are area's out west that have that same type of steepness and leave FEET of powder on the trail. Damn man..You are soooo east coast ;) lol.....Ok next time you get a big dump of 2 feet of dry powder. Go to a BIG golf course hill the same steepness as wawa and point your wide ski's straight down and go. You won't sink/have to walk. Trust me.
You do realize there's snow ridge right in turin, ny where people ski 3 feet or powder and It's not steeper than wachusett from what I've heard.

First, I'm not saying all of it sucks but I grew up on Wachusett and worked there for 8 seasons. I have skied it in 2 ft of new snow on a few occasions. It's not all that fun.

Snowlover

Straightlining powder sucks. Snow Ridge does have about a 460 ft vert with a pretty good pitch in several places. I would surmise that it actually skis pretty well with several feet of powder. That said, a place in that region with closer to 1000' of vert would be pretty sweet :)
You don't need to straightline pow on a blue trail on the ec. Sundown was totally rippable after 3 feet of snow from nemo. The fact that someone is making claims like this makes me wonder.....if the guy really even ski's pow. lol I unfortunately never got out for that at sundown because my street wasn't plowed for a 4 daysskisundown.jpg

Snowlover

First, I'm not saying all of it sucks but I grew up on Wachusett and worked there for 8 seasons. I have skied it in 2 ft of new snow on a few occasions. It's not all that fun.

Well obviously pow slows you down. So what "fun" you have is going to depend on your skill level in pow(more work/tiring for people who arent' good) and how fast you need to go to have "fun". When you skied it in 2 feet of freshies(lucky bastard), how wide was the ski you were using?

Of course now you've gone from saying it's impossible/you have to walk it.....to it's not "fun" ....lol

Edd

You don't need to straightline pow on a blue trail on the ec. Sundown was totally rippable after 3 feet of snow from nemo. The fact that someone is making claims like this makes me wonder.....if the guy really even ski's pow. lolView attachment 10164

You're onto something. I think we all knew deep down that NEK does not know how to ski pow.

Happy birthday NEK!

Warp Daddy

These are from the TRUE UP VERTICAL site stats :

for TUG HILL region of NYS
Macauley Mtn. 633 vert
Snow Ridge 500 VERT
Woods Valley 500 VERT
Dry Hill 300 VERT

The Ridge has enough steep to handle deep LES pow , have skied it for 4 plus decades

MadMadWorld

Well obviously pow slows you down. So what "fun" you have is going to depend on your skill level in pow(more work/tiring for people who arent' good) and how fast you need to go to have "fun". When you skied it in 2 feet of freshies(lucky bastard), how wide was the ski you were using?

Of course now you've gone from saying it's impossible/you have to walk it.....to it's not "fun" ....lol

I stick by the fact that you would have to walk a lot with 2 feet at Wachusett. Like I said, some of the trails like Smith, 10th, and Conifer would all be enjoyable until the run out. All the intermediate terrain would pretty much require walking before you could get to a pitch that would give you speed. Skiing in powder is a blast just much more enjoyable at a mountain that actually has some pitch. Skiing slow on a trail with zero pitch is not enjoyable for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.