• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wildcat behind the pack this year

gregnye

Yeah I doubt Wildcat's going to make any money this weekend. The trail count is still not looking good (I'm heading up tomorrow but probably will just do Attitash)...

Edd

I've never actually given much thought to skiing Attitash... Maybe I should?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I consider Attitash to be a pretty good weekday hill when they have a good chunk of terrain open. I like it better than I used to.

And like DHS said, if you want steeps, it beats Wildcat.

Wally Brown

Has anyone skied Attitash since last Weekends rain/freeze? I'm wondering how it held up. I'm debating Attitash or Loon for Tomorrow.

gregnye

Has anyone skied Attitash since last Weekends rain/freeze? I'm wondering how it held up. I'm debating Attitash or Loon for Tomorrow.

Today I skied loon, and yesterday I skied attitash. Right now, loon is skiing better because they have the guns going to resurface terrain. Attitash has a decent amount of stuff open (more blacks than wildcat) but things are a little more icy

deadheadskier

Staff member
The argument is that there isn't enough trails / downhill capacity at the Summit of Attitash proper to handle the amount of skiers a High Speed lift would put at the top of the mountain. They have said in the past during AZ Challenges that they have the permitting to add more trails from the summit. So, in my mind, I think Peaks believes that they would not get the ROI by adding such an expensive lift because it wouldn't increase business that much at the mountain.

dlague

Personally, I just don't like how Attitash is laid out. Back in the day when ASC owned Attitash and about a half dozen others, Attitash was the closest and my least favorite. I was stuck going weekends and always a zoo. But I do like the trail layout weekdays. What is up with their HSD only going 2/3 the way and a nice slow triple going all the way up anyways. Normally, I spend my time at Bear peak. I like th layout there better, less crowding and a HSD that goes to the top.

+1 Skied there for the first time last year and my first impression was everything you described related to the layout!

yeggous

I think DHS has it penned as far as Attitash goes. ROI is hard to consider when every weekend it is packed. How do you, as a businessman, improve on that?

+1

The detachable quad services their more profitable summer operations too. There is just no ROI in a new summit lift. For the time being the ownership is happy with the status quo. The place is always packed so they are making plenty of money without investing in new snowmaking, lifts, or trails. They'll probably spend any money on summer attractions (more revenue) or additional hotel space... though the hotel market is pretty competitive in the MWV.

Wildcat, on the other hand, must be taking a beating this year with decreased ticket revenue. Snowmaking improvements there must be a matter of survival at this point.

midd

Plus Attitash has received approval for the longest zip line in the continental US. Will go from top of Bear Peak to Attitash. They are killing it with the summer attractions.

yeggous

Plus Attitash has received approval for the longest zip line in the continental US. Will go from top of Bear Peak to Attitash. They are killing it with the summer attractions.

This is very much their business model. They seem to a ski area that exists primarily to support increased summer activities. The summer activities have lower overhead since they don't require expensive snowmaking, and are therefor more profitable. It also helps that peak season in the Mt Washington Valley is actually summer. Visits are down considerably in the winter.

SIKSKIER

Here is some snowmaking beta on their snow report today.

As you may know, when we face very cold temps we have to shut down the upper mountain snowmaking so we don't create issues with the pipes. Luckily, before this stretch of cold hit we were able to crank it out on Upper Polecat, Upper Catapult and create a cutover to Upper Lynx through the lift line. This has made a world of difference for our upper mountain terrain and opened up a path to Lynx and Middle/Lower Polecat from the summit.

gregnye

Here is some snowmaking beta on their snow report today.

As you may know, when we face very cold temps we have to shut down the upper mountain snowmaking so we don't create issues with the pipes. Luckily, before this stretch of cold hit we were able to crank it out on Upper Polecat, Upper Catapult and create a cutover to Upper Lynx through the lift line. This has made a world of difference for our upper mountain terrain and opened up a path to Lynx and Middle/Lower Polecat from the summit.

This is great news, but still i think they should now be focusing on trails below Cat-track like Alleycat, Panther, maybe even Tomcat Shuss (an easy choice because they already have opened lower polecat).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Madroch

Wonder if they will use upper catapult and crossover to middle linx for the 100k? Unless they get a ton of snow for upper linx of course...

bobbutts

Does anyone have numbers to backup the summer being profitable at Attitash. Was there on a peak weekend last summer to try the alpine coaster, and it was busy with lines at the attractions, but in my estimation, less than 1/10 the amt of people for a normal weekend ski day.