• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

West isnt always best... Tahoe wishes they had our coverage

MidnightJester

Friend just got back from Tahoe trip he was soooooo looking forward to. Went to 2 mountains 5 days and both had under 25 trails open. NOT GOOD FOR THEM. Cant wait for our next polar vortex... Add some moisture and we will be rocking.

snoseek

Things are getting pretty serious here, lot's of people not working....starving. Expect to pay BIG TIME for produce in the coming months. When things are good here they're amazing but that's not this year so far.

MidnightJester

I happened to spend 5 weeks straight (10 days on mountain 8 Heavenly, 1 Kirkwood, 1 Sierra) in TAHOE 3 years ago when they got their #2 or #1 most snowfall ever depending on who you asked. Paper put it at #2 I think. Was so lucky that friend happened to move there for the year. WOW what a difference it must look like compared.

MidnightJester

My profile pic is the top of Kirkwood. Gotta love a lift and mountain top that makes you think am I good enough : )~ Woooooooooo Who needs double or triple black diamond trails. Ill go with SKULL and CROSSBONES. That is serious. There were so many inbounds DEATH areas at Kirkwood from that lift I couldn't believe it.

Last edited:

snoseek

I work and play at Kirkwood. The wall is a sheet of rock right now except for the gully's. We need several feet of dense snow to get up there at this point

MidnightJester

That is awesome you work there. I managed ski lodge here on the east coast for a year. Maybe sad this year there. That wall. OMG. I slid down it 500ft atleat as a frozen block from the top drop in that year. Couldn't get my board edge to grab enough was ice shaving. you couldn't even see ANY rock. It was like a frozen waterfall. I was there April that year. Apparently the way Kirkwood is setup mountain wise the Wall dosent get enough sun exposure to unfreeze to popcorn snow like the rest of Kirkwood does. Even in the Gully it unfroze. The wall didn't.

jenychen

Was just in Tahoe and I can commiserate with your friend. NO SNOW! Then went to Canyons and Snowbird the next week... same thing. The night before we left? Heavy snow started to fall. Just not in my cards.

Looking forward to riding the next couple weekends with some *fingers crossed* freshies.

RISkier

The impact of the CA drought extend way beyond just crappy skiing. Bad situation that's going to hurt a lot of folks.

MidnightJester

Its crappy skiing, then its laid off winter employees, laid off local employees due to less winter visitors. Then its water shortage x100 in spring and summer for the rest of CA. Most of the water CA uses come from the Mountains and winter. Then the farmers cut back, the cattle are sold, the food prices go up. now onto summer and it gets way worse with main fire season. Southwest is not happy with this winter as it hold the keys to summer water supplies

Smellytele

Its crappy skiing, then its laid off winter employees, laid off local employees due to less winter visitors. Then its water shortage x100 in spring and summer for the rest of CA. Most of the water CA uses come from the Mountains and winter. Then the farmers cut back, the cattle are sold, the food prices go up. now onto summer and it gets way worse with main fire season. Southwest is not happy with this winter as it hold the keys to summer water supplies

Then when it does rain after all that you mention you'll get landslides because there is no vegetation to hold the land down.

snoseek

It's lightly snowing out for the first time in....I don't know when. Just a tiny bit. I'm still on the fence about going and slowly entering straight up poverty but I know how quickly things can go from awful to awesome. It happened two years ago, February and miracle March. I'm still holding out for a repeat of that, it was VERY good times.

snoseek

BTW, plan on some sky high produce in he future, big time

STREETSKIER

Doesn't look good for feb high pressure in control ,make your move I would not know where though pretty tough all over !! Good Luck

snoseek

There is some hope coming in starting Thursday and while the amounts are uncertain it does look like our first decent snow in a very very long time. I'm hoping things trend wetter and it just keeps dumping. The 30 and 90 days look dry but I have almost no faith in those reports anyhow.

snoseek

Ha, the mtn biking has been great.....to be fair that face gets a lot o sun and burns out quick, then again it should be buried. The good new is we're looking at a stormy week with several feet of good ol sierra cement coming. I'm hoping this is the start to redemption as I've made my decision to stay and tough it out...well until I can't take it anymore and make a road trip ending eventually back in NH. Already thinking ahead to next year

MadMadWorld

Ha, the mtn biking has been great.....to be fair that face gets a lot o sun and burns out quick, then again it should be buried. The good new is we're looking at a stormy week with several feet of good ol sierra cement coming. I'm hoping this is the start to redemption as I've made my decision to stay and tough it out...well until I can't take it anymore and make a road trip ending eventually back in NH. Already thinking ahead to next year

Good luck man you deserve it!

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Yeah, it's looking like an unfortunate season thus far for much of the US ski industry. Southwest is dry, far west is dry, PNW is dry, Northeast is up and down. And yet we've been blessed thus far in Colorado with one of the best seasons in recent memory. We don't make any snow at Ski Cooper, and we're 100% open with a 50" base and 142" YTD snowfall. Most of Colorado is hitting it big this year. Sorry we can't share a little bit!

Smellytele

Yeah, it's looking like an unfortunate season thus far for much of the US ski industry. Southwest is dry, far west is dry, PNW is dry, Northeast is up and down. And yet we've been blessed thus far in Colorado with one of the best seasons in recent memory. We don't make any snow at Ski Cooper, and we're 100% open with a 50" base and 142" YTD snowfall. Most of Colorado is hitting it big this year. Sorry we can't share a little bit!

I be there in CO in 23 days to find some.