• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

1st Sugarbush Trip - Need Advice

bzrperfspec77

So I normally don't do post threads or ask questions like this, but I need some help. In my ski club they just opened a ski trip to Sugarbush, VT and I booked it for this weekend 1/31-2/2. Another ski club/group had the whole Sugarbush Inn but they canceled with a couple weeks ahead of this weekend and that opened it up for our club (Cool deal).

I have never been to Sugarbush before besides driving through in the Summer. I've tried to read as much trip reports as possible on here which is providing a high level of stoke by the way! My girlfriend and I will be at Killington on Thursday and driving to Sugarbush from there on Friday morning (staying over because they comped us a room and lift tickets because we are getting married there in the fall of '14). We have tickets for Friday afternoon, Saturday and Sunday and will be staying at the Inn.

Any advice on where to ski during the afternoon? Morning? Saturday Crowds? Dinner? Places to avoid? Places for her to go when I want to keep skiing and she gets sick of it?

So like I said I hate doing this but I'm curious as to what everyone thinks. You don't have to give up your secret stashes or what not and I really appreciate the info.

No costumes for this trip (See Sunday River Ski Trip)

bdfreetuna

Spend at least 1 day at Mt. Ellen.

I would do the half day at Sugarbush, Saturday at Mt Ellen, and Sunday go back to Sugarbush and ski the woods.

Crowds are usually less at Mt Ellen.. the only bad liftlines at Sugarbush are Castlerock chair which probably won't be open anyway.

Hopefully others can answer your other questions. Have fun! Ski "Paradise" off Heaven's Gate and don't be afraid to follow the Long Trail a bit past the top of Paradise.

JimG.

Staff member
Spend at least 1 day at Mt. Ellen.

I would do the half day at Sugarbush, Saturday at Mt Ellen, and Sunday go back to Sugarbush and ski the woods.

Crowds are usually less at Mt Ellen.. the only bad liftlines at Sugarbush are Castlerock chair which probably won't be open anyway.

Hopefully others can answer your other questions. Have fun! Ski "Paradise" off Heaven's Gate and don't be afraid to follow the Long Trail a bit past the top of Paradise.

+1...spend a day at Sugarbush North (Glen Ellen). Awesome bumps, awesome trees.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I'd spend Saturday at Ellen to avoid the crowds. Sunday for Lincoln Peak. It also depends on the weather. Assuming that winds are not an issue, this would be a good plan.

I'll take a look at the condition for specific terrain ideas.

gmcunni

i've not eaten there but the reputation and the line to get in (which is why we didn't go) indicate that American Flatbread Pizza would be a great place for dinner.. perhaps Friday evening would be less crowded as most people might still be on the way up.

reefer

I second trailboss to ski Ellen on Saturday, Lincoln Sunday. Send WWF-VT a PM. He is a Sugarbush expert majoring in Mt. Ellen tours..........
The Inn has great food. I had the Butternut Squash Lasagna last year and it was to die for. The Den on Route 100 is good also, (great burgers).

WWF-VT

Try Lincoln Peak on Friday afternoon. I'll be at Mt Ellen on Saturday....the Northridge chair should be running . The best skiing at Sugarbush recently has been the upper mountain at Mt Ellen with a few key natural snow trails open. I suggest the Hyde Away for a local low key place for dinner. PM me if you want additional info.

bzrperfspec77

+1 for Flatbread enjoy a beer outside by the fire while waiting. Try to find yourself some Lawson's Finest and/or Heady Topper while you are in the area.

My g/f and I have done a brewery tour (our own driving around) of VT the last couple summers and I have come back with a few Heady Topper's. Great beer. Thanks again all.

pcampbell

I've never had to wait to sit down but it can get a little loud... tolerable though i think. i love the pancakes!

noski

The Hyde Away has upgraded the menu options and has good specials plus great VT beer choices on tap.

True, that. Also, The Elusive Moose is just opening. They will be open all day Sat/Sun until 9pm with Breakfast, lunch and dinner. Good prices, good food, good service = good choice. They are in the former Easy Street/Purple Moon Pub on Rt 100 in Waitsfield.

Nice dinner? Common Man would be among my picks, make a reservation.