• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Season Grade So Far

catsup948

I'm giving the season a C+ solely based on lack of overall consistency from December to now. Storms followed by horrible cutters were to dominant trend of the first half. Last three weeks have brought the grade up rapidly from a first half D+. Last winter I gave the same grade at this point of the season but by the end it was easily a high B or low A. To get a season in the mid A range I really want to see wall to wall snow, limited warmups and great spring skiing.

goldsbar

The last storm brought it up to a B- for me. Totally agree with lack of consistency. That's typical for the NE, but this year was even worse. Cold temperatures and early openings brought the tease of an A+ season. Instead of one January thaw, we've had multiple. If we get another decent storm after this warmup and it stays seasonal this could easily go to a B+.

abc

It's matter of perspective and standard.

I don't know if people has rosy glasses when looking back or not. I've never bother to rate the season in mid-February. Because I remember more years with lousy condition mid-February than years with decent February condition! (my skiing "range" used to only go up to central VT so my recollection is limited by that)

For those of you in the north country, this year is probably not the best up to this point. For one thing, you're used to more years of good condition in February. But down here, we don't often have consistent condition in February (heck, we never have consistent condition any time anyway!). So the lack of consistency isn't a negative by itself.

I would say the season down here isn't too bad. So probably a B? Though I hadn't been able to take advantage of it as much as I'd like so my pure "theoretical" rating might be a bit inflated to reflect the good days I missed! :)

SnowBro

I'd give it a B. If there is any truth to global warming, we might as well enjoy what we have while we can. Last season was a B for me because I had so few days out. This season had a great start, but these thaws have really been depressing. From a travel standpoint I would have liked to have taken some more big trips to Maine but work has prevented me from doing so. Maybe March will be better. I'm hoping the weather stays cold for the next month. By April Wachusett will be closed and all the local hills will definitely be done with their seasons, so my only option would be to head north. I was able to get a decent amount of visits in so far this season and am trying to get to 30 days. If I reach my goal and weather cooperates, I'll probably end up rating the season a B+ or A-.

Bene288

D. Struggling to get out this season. Schedule is putting a damper on my ski time.

Kleetus

I would give it a C+ to B- so far. Wayyy to inconsistent with the snow and then thaws, however, when the snow has been present from storms the skiing has been awesome. This last storm really helped the seasons grade so far.

MadMadWorld

I feel like a few years from now people are going to look back and see the snow totals and think it was a great season. To me it's a B- so far.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I feel like a few years from now people are going to look back and see the snow totals and think it was a great season. To me it's a B- so far.

That's about how I see it.

I'm having a great season myself as I'm on pace to ski more days than I have during any season since I retired from ski bum life in 2001 and I've timed a lot of the storms really well, but overall we've gotten pretty screwed with rain events way too soon after good storms. This week Southern NH saw 14" between Tuesday and Wednesday only to have it pour right after. It would be nice to have at least a week to enjoy the fresh snow before getting screwed.

Cannonball

I'm giving it a B+ so far. I got excellent days in October and November (rare). And December was way better than average. The torching in January was tough and so the grade slips for that. But the rebound was quick and substantial. Even with that bad January we have more snow right now than we did at this point the past two winters. Base depths are excellent, all the trees are in play. This week was some of the best conditions I've ever skied.
There is plenty of time left though and the grade could change considerably in either direction.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Going into Feb., I would have rated the season as D to D+: Two major meltdowns; very cold January; not much natural snow; minimal glades skiing The spectacular 2nd half of February has raised it to a C for me. If we have a spectacular March it could move higher.

That being said, I suspect the industry is doing OK with both good condx Christmas week and exceptionallly good condx Presidents' Day week

dlague

Too soon to rate this season three months left! If I were to give it a grade the it would be a B+.

I would rather grade it by month so far!
We did not start early enough in November (C). December was great with conditions looking the best I have ever seen them for early season (A). Then came January which blew chunks because of #ain, flu and for us the least number of days ever in January (D). Now we are wrapping up February and we have had some of our best days this season (A). We are hoping for a great March, April and May!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

VTKilarney

Subjectively: A+ because I got back into skiing after a ten year hiatus,

Objectively: C- because we've really only had two weekends so far with excellent snow.

Euler

My grade so far is a solid B. I've had several phenomenal days...three in December and one in Feb. There have also been a bunch of good days, as well as a couple of pretty dreadful ones. I'm not psyched on the weather pattern I see in the upcoming week, but I'm hopeful that March will deliver, and I plan on skiing in April and perhaps May this year. I've never skied in May so if I find some opportunities for nice trips up to K this season may well end up being a solid A by the time it's over.

Savemeasammy

THE season is a B-. It got off to an ok start, but January sucked. February was good as a whole up until the r@!n - and this weekend was surprisingly good.

MY season has been more of a C. Not as many days at quality mountains with good conditions as I would like. Getting injured 3 different times and missing about 5 weeks doesn't help! Not being able to ski well for 2 of my pre-planned trips because of injury doesn't help either.... It can only get better. I hope!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

steamboat1

I hear ya. After my serious injury last season I'm just thrilled to be skiing again. I'm glad you're getting out too.

How are you feeling out there. You had a more serious injury than me, surgery, plates screws & all. I had no surgery but skiing this year with no ACL & a brace, ankle seems to have healed fine. Hope you're doing well. I've felt much better than I ever expected although I don't think I can ski more than 3 consecutive full days. Shooting for 5 days this week with a days rest after 3.

skiking4

B+. Have gotten some sick storm skiing this year, and just take a week off when conditions suck (like right now probably).