• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak - 2/14~2/18

gladerider

what a great mountain. my group talked about visiting JP for a long time but never got around to it. but finally made it happen. it is now my favorite mountain in the east.

lodging: decided to get a slope side condo rental. we managed setup our base camp at the village condo right off of the grammy jay trail. we locked in our dates about 6-9 months ago

weather: what can i say, got real lucky.

drive up: our plan was to drive up on thursday the 2/13, but with the storm coming to whack NYC metro, where we are from, all of us decided to drive up late after work on wednesday. it took us good 7 hours of driving. i took the 87N all the way up to the boarder and cross the bridge. arrived at 3am.

2/13 - had to work. was too tired. some of us in the group did ski/ride, but all agreed that the condition was mediocre and the woods were too thin. the snow started coming down in the last afternoon. but it started to come down real hard after about 11pm.

2/14 - woke up to about 15 inches according to the mountain, but it had to be more than 18". my buddy and i went to get the first chair, but at 830, the only chair running was the taxi quad. we lapped that for about 4-5 times poaching fresh pow until the jet triple opened up. it was deep. i was trying out my new ride dh2 wide board for the first time and it was super dope. we went down the jet. it was sublime. then we moved on to kitzbuehel, which i liked a lot. reminded me of one of the trails at castlerock in sugarbush (middle earth?) that has the double fall line. then, we found out that the bonnie quad was running. going up we saw one or two people poaching fresh in knee deep condition down the liftline. my buddy and i agreed that this was where we wanted to spend the whole day. so we did. upper part of the liftline had a small rocky/cliff terrain. some around 10 feet range. we huck that thing many times. landing was soft pow. but by the day's end the landing was getting packed out.
it was an awesome day.

2/15 - it was windy. the crowd was much bigger. we spent most of the morning lapping the liftline again. in the afternoon we went over to the tramside. we took the flyer quad and met some of the local dudes. they were showing us their local stash. immediately after getting off the flyer, we dropped in the woods to the right. it was pretty much woods, trail, wood, trail combo that put us down at the Ullr's dream traverse. i think the first part was wedelmaster woods, then jfk woods, then everglades, then the northwest passage in that order. the top section immediately after dropping in was real tight. the gaps were just enough for us to squeeze ourselves in one at a time. then after passing a trail for the second drop it started opening up. really fun. after that we did the everglade. another fun filled run. we spent the whole afternoon in the woods off of the flyer. the tram was either on wind hold or too crowded.

2/16 - the crowd was real big. we had to wait 20 minutes at some point. the tram was not running due to wind hold again. by buddy and i decided to go on the flyer again. met up with another local. he took us to the poma line then up a little bit of hiking to get to the top section of the beaver pond, which then led us to andre's paradise. it sure was a paradise. awesome awesome trees. we then did the everglades and the staircase. in the afternoon, we took our kids to do the same thing we did in the morning. was another awesome day.

2/17 - tram is on wind hold again. wind is howling. some traversing trails were very wind blown and the surface we just sheets of ice. we went to the liftline again. took the same jump again but the landing was so packed out my body let me know not to do it again. after hitting the deliverance all morning, we wanted to hit the other woods too in the afternoon. so we did timbuktu and UN. UN was real sweet. we lap that thing over and over again and finished the day doing canyon land and vertigo. Vertigo was so skiied off entering from the top was hairy but the pow in the woods were sooooo good.

2/18 - tram is on wind hold again but so were all the others. think just the metro quad was running. so my buddy and i decided to hike up to upper goat run and boarded down. in the afternoon jet triple started to run so we poached the woods again that just got like another 6". it was sweet. it was an awesome afternoon to wrap up the trip.

drive home: packed up and left the condo at 1015. decided to go through burlington and crownpoint bridge. stopped by burlington to grab lunch. think the restaurant is called farmhouse tap & grill. really good food. if i wasn't driving, i would have tried some of their beer selections. looked real good. everyone enjoyed their dish. hit traffic about 60 miles north of the thruway tolls gates due to a police activity, but other than that, it was a smooth drive. got home around 7.

my group's consensus is that we will be going back next prez week but i'm sure i will try to look for opportunities before then.
also, we had some small children who enjoyed the pump house. it totally worked for some windy days.

couple pix
20140218_155142.jpg
20140218_160730.jpg

i will upload a video when i figure out how

gladerider

One local I was on the lift chair with told me that the best time for JP is from late February. So if he's right, you are in business.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

lerops

Thanks for the TR, looks really nice. Look like a great time to have been there. Did anybody in your group leave the kids with the ski school? Any experience on how good they are would be helpful.

gladerider

Lerops, yes we had a few kids in the ski school. Heard no praise or complaints. But then kids in my group all passed the real beginners phase so that may not mean much.

Snowlover

what a great mountain. my group talked about visiting JP for a long time but never got around to it. but finally made it happen. it is now my favorite mountain in the east.

lodging: decided to get a slope side condo rental. we managed setup our base camp at the village condo right off of the grammy jay trail. we locked in our dates about 6-9 months ago

weather: what can i say, got real lucky.

drive up: our plan was to drive up on thursday the 2/13, but with the storm coming to whack NYC metro, where we are from, all of us decided to drive up late after work on wednesday. it took us good 7 hours of driving. i took the 87N all the way up to the boarder and cross the bridge. arrived at 3am.

2/13 - had to work. was too tired. some of us in the group did ski/ride, but all agreed that the condition was mediocre and the woods were too thin. the snow started coming down in the last afternoon. but it started to come down real hard after about 11pm.

2/14 - woke up to about 15 inches according to the mountain, but it had to be more than 18". my buddy and i went to get the first chair, but at 830, the only chair running was the taxi quad. we lapped that for about 4-5 times poaching fresh pow until the jet triple opened up. it was deep. i was trying out my new ride dh2 wide board for the first time and it was super dope. we went down the jet. it was sublime. then we moved on to kitzbuehel, which i liked a lot. reminded me of one of the trails at castlerock in sugarbush (middle earth?) that has the double fall line. then, we found out that the bonnie quad was running. going up we saw one or two people poaching fresh in knee deep condition down the liftline. my buddy and i agreed that this was where we wanted to spend the whole day. so we did. upper part of the liftline had a small rocky/cliff terrain. some around 10 feet range. we huck that thing many times. landing was soft pow. but by the day's end the landing was getting packed out.
it was an awesome day.

2/15 - it was windy. the crowd was much bigger. we spent most of the morning lapping the liftline again. in the afternoon we went over to the tramside. we took the flyer quad and met some of the local dudes. they were showing us their local stash. immediately after getting off the flyer, we dropped in the woods to the right. it was pretty much woods, trail, wood, trail combo that put us down at the Ullr's dream traverse. i think the first part was wedelmaster woods, then jfk woods, then everglades, then the northwest passage in that order. the top section immediately after dropping in was real tight. the gaps were just enough for us to squeeze ourselves in one at a time. then after passing a trail for the second drop it started opening up. really fun. after that we did the everglade. another fun filled run. we spent the whole afternoon in the woods off of the flyer. the tram was either on wind hold or too crowded.

2/16 - the crowd was real big. we had to wait 20 minutes at some point. the tram was not running due to wind hold again. by buddy and i decided to go on the flyer again. met up with another local. he took us to the poma line then up a little bit of hiking to get to the top section of the beaver pond, which then led us to andre's paradise. it sure was a paradise. awesome awesome trees. we then did the everglades and the staircase. in the afternoon, we took our kids to do the same thing we did in the morning. was another awesome day.

2/17 - tram is on wind hold again. wind is howling. some traversing trails were very wind blown and the surface we just sheets of ice. we went to the liftline again. took the same jump again but the landing was so packed out my body let me know not to do it again. after hitting the deliverance all morning, we wanted to hit the other woods too in the afternoon. so we did timbuktu and UN. UN was real sweet. we lap that thing over and over again and finished the day doing canyon land and vertigo. Vertigo was so skiied off entering from the top was hairy but the pow in the woods were sooooo good.

2/18 - tram is on wind hold again but so were all the others. think just the metro quad was running. so my buddy and i decided to hike up to upper goat run and boarded down. in the afternoon jet triple started to run so we poached the woods again that just got like another 6". it was sweet. it was an awesome afternoon to wrap up the trip.

drive home: packed up and left the condo at 1015. decided to go through burlington and crownpoint bridge. stopped by burlington to grab lunch. think the restaurant is called farmhouse tap & grill. really good food. if i wasn't driving, i would have tried some of their beer selections. looked real good. everyone enjoyed their dish. hit traffic about 60 miles north of the thruway tolls gates due to a police activity, but other than that, it was a smooth drive. got home around 7.

my group's consensus is that we will be going back next prez week but i'm sure i will try to look for opportunities before then.
also, we had some small children who enjoyed the pump house. it totally worked for some windy days.

couple pix
Who the hell books a vacation on the east coast 6 months out? LOL. You are damn right you got lucky. You are lucky it wasn't raining or boiler plate. Lucky for those mega corporate resorts that people with a lot of money in ny metro who don't seem to care about skiing actual snow book ski vacations out like that. I'd never do something like that. Notice all the wind while you were there? That place is really wind exposed all the time. Did you get any fresh tracks at all in actual trails? Any non wind exposed pow over 12 inches on the actual trails that was untouched at any time?(not glades)

7 hours trip time each way? Why not just fly to salt lake? Makes absolutely no sense to go up there from jersey. Between crowds on the east coat presidents day/shit conditions majority of time ect. Just doesn't make any sense at all. Especially booking out ahead like that. I wouldn't book a week out. Forget 6 months.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
^Creating a controversial trolling thread in the open forum is one thing, but coming in the reports section and bashing someone's decision to ski somewhere is over the line. GTFO of here :slap:

gladerider

Who the hell books a vacation on the east coast 6 months out? LOL. You are damn right you got lucky. You are lucky it wasn't raining or boiler plate. Lucky for those mega corporate resorts that people with a lot of money in ny metro who don't seem to care about skiing actual snow book ski vacations out like that. I'd never do something like that. Notice all the wind while you were there? That place is really wind exposed all the time. Did you get any fresh tracks at all in actual trails? Any non wind exposed pow over 12 inches on the actual trails that was untouched at any time?(not glades)

7 hours trip time each way? Why not just fly to salt lake? Makes absolutely no sense to go up there from jersey. Between crowds on the east coat presidents day/shit conditions majority of time ect. Just doesn't make any sense at all. Especially booking out ahead like that. I wouldn't book a week out. Forget 6 months.

Good points. However, when you have kids in school you take your vacations when the school system tells you. When you know the dates then you determine where. If you think you can book ski resorts a few months before the set dates good luck. Also we find driving 7 hours easier than flying to SLC. As much as I love SLC, cannot go there too often especially around NJ school breaks. Air fares increase dramatically around those times when flying out of Newark airport.
If you're not from NJ you wouldn't know.

Snowlover

Good points. However, when you have kids in school you take your vacations when the school system tells you. When you know the dates then you determine where. If you think you can book ski resorts a few months before the set dates good luck. Also we find driving 7 hours easier than flying to SLC. As much as I love SLC, cannot go there too often especially around NJ school breaks. Air fares increase dramatically around those times when flying out of Newark airport.
If you're not from NJ you wouldn't know.

Reasonable reason! Wow I can't believe someone that's not a total a-hole on here! I'm amazed :) Glad you had a good time and lucked out with the weather!

Abubob

Website
tee.pub

Spoken like a true powder snob.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Because you're a jackass! He's not.

"Oho!" said the pot to the kettle;
"You are dirty and ugly and black!
Sure no one would think you were metal,
Except when you're given a crack."

"Not so! not so!" kettle said to the pot;
"'Tis your own dirty image you see;
For I am so clean – without blemish or blot –