• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

180" month!

AdironRider

So Jackson Hole has had its 4th wettest month on record this past February. 180" in one month. To say its DEEP here is an understatement. Which has gotten me thinking, whats the most snow your home mountain has had in a month? Deep days come and go, but when a cycle really sets in is when the magic happens IMO. For the East Coast, the closest I can think of was back in 07, from VDAY through March that year was incredible.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Jay Peak Late February-March 2001. The year Jay set its all time record for snow, I think the year total was 570" or something like that. Pattern of repeating Nor'easters punctuated with the biggest one dumping 60+" in 2.5 days. There were areas under the Jet triple roped off, the glades were hard to ski because you were in the canopy, Route 242 was little more than one lane wide due to HUGE snow banks. That was quite a year. Too bad it was my first year really skiing. This shows 171" for Jay in March. http://gator1314.hostgator.com/~bestsnow/seas01.htm

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Jay Peak Late February-March 2001. The year Jay set its all time record for snow, I think the year total was 570" or something like that. Pattern of repeating Nor'easters punctuated with the biggest one dumping 60+" in 2.5 days. There were areas under the Jet triple roped off, the glades were hard to ski because you were in the canopy, Route 242 was little more than one lane wide due to HUGE snow banks. That was quite a year. Too bad it was my first year really skiing. This shows 171" for Jay in March. http://gator1314.hostgator.com/~bestsnow/seas01.htm

Lived in Stowe during winter. I doubt I ever see another one like it in my lifetime on the East Coast. Almost mythical looking back. The worst conditions I skied all season (save for November) was during a week long trip to Colorado in March. That was during that 60" dump and it was hard pack to ice everywhere in Aspen except for a couple of days with a few inches of fresh. I skied Jay on April 1st that day and you're right about 242. I couldn't believe my eyes when I drove up there. Snow was plenty deep in Stowe too, but Jay was just unreal.

fbrissette

So Jackson Hole has had its 4th wettest month on record this past February. 180" in one month. To say its DEEP here is an understatement. Which has gotten me thinking, whats the most snow your home mountain has had in a month? Deep days come and go, but when a cycle really sets in is when the magic happens IMO. For the East Coast, the closest I can think of was back in 07, from VDAY through March that year was incredible.
A friend of mine spent the last 10 days there inbound and outbound. Epic. He wants to move there permanently.

AdironRider

He should. As much as I'm trumping this awesome month we've had, its really not all that different compared to our usual year. Even after 8 years I still get giddy like a school girl every time it snows.

ScottySkis

i cant complain this year had several snkwy days in south NY edn abive average if you were smart when u go out. i am jealous if you but lo e everhinhg.out doors sere i linorth east . e. adinRider

moguler6

Had a season pass that year at Jay. It was incredible! Every day you checked the report and they got more snow. The entire ridge from the face chutes to green beret was skiable. You go up there now and look at the ridge and I can't even envision some of the lines I skied that year.

snoseek

I've seen 200 inch months at Kirkwood, Alta and Even Northern Colorado. I was there for the 3 month cycle in 07 back east...I'll never forget that. I'm super jealous of what y'all been getting in Jackson. Tough winter here, Feb was deep but the storms were very warm meaning I'm waiting for the corn to come back after it stops to actually enjoy it.

snoseek

Was this the 588 winter? I think it may have been , remember staying a whole lot over in Newport and skiing a lot at Jay that winter. Where's that tug hill dude at? I bet he was nowhere to be found that winter.

Big Wave Dave

hands down '00/'01 was the biggest winter I have ever seen in the NEK.
Pretty sure Jay is a National Weather Service Co-op station. which means training. I am sometimes skeptical of their snow reports (wind scour, etc) but I have skied there many days when they reported less than was on the mountain, for a fact.

180" in a month in Jackson, wow. Hope you got no where to be, tough leaving the valley in those conditions. And I dont just mean to miss the skiing! been there before when avies closed all the passes. Not a bad place to be stuck.

skiNEwhere

If JH gets any more snow they'll need to put a snowplow on the front of the tram.

Don't know why the snow is so dirty though