• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The 9 Best Mountains for Spring Skiing

Conrad

Website
www.youtube.com
The 9 Best Mountains for Spring Skiing

Jackson Hole
Stevens Pass
Silverton
Black Jack Ski Resort, Michigan
Lake Louise
Telluride
Sugarloaf
Heavenly
Mt. Bachelor

Notable exceptions I would say would be A-Basin, Loveland, Mammoth, Timberline Lodge, Killington, and Snowbird. If anything, I would call this a poorly designed list.

bobbutts

Heavenly? I lived there and after the season ended we'd drive to Squaw/Alpine and then Mammoth
those 3 clearly ahead of Heavenly

doesn't Jackson have some fixed, relatively early closing date?

snoseek

If you're in the Sierra right now and not skiing Kirkwood you're doing it wrong....Gunbarrel isn't even open and East Bowl is burning out fast. Gonna check out squaw tomorrow.

And Jackson isn't even open during prime spring season

snoseek

Yikes.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

it's cool, lake level is hurting this year but higher elevation is hanging in there. Our forecast is very very nice for the week also. I was going to leave and go to Utah or Colorado at the end of this week on my way back....not now

4aprice

Funniest thing to me is that some of these supposed Spring bastions will be closing without even experiencing spring this year. Any list without Arapahoe and Loveland is fodder for the shredder.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
I'm pretty much an easterner and in 2014, the only serious players in the eastern spring skiing game are Killington, Wildcat and Sugarloaf; but the truth is, the only true success at it is Killington (pre-Powdr and restarting with Mike Solimano). The reason is simple: The best spring skiing days can't be planned - and Killington is the only one of these three areas that has significant access to the day-tripper market: 1.5 hours to greater Albany; 2.5 hours to greater Boston; and about 2 hours to Springfield/Hartford.

fbrissette

I'm pretty much an easterner and in 2014, the only serious players in the eastern spring skiing game are Killington, Wildcat and Sugarloaf; but the truth is, the only true success at it is Killington (pre-Powdr and restarting with Mike Solimano). The reason is simple: The best spring skiing days can't be planned - and Killington is the only one of these three areas that has significant access to the day-tripper market: 1.5 hours to greater Albany; 2.5 hours to greater Boston; and about 2 hours to Springfield/Hartford.

The winner those past years has always been Mont St-Sauveur (Quebec) which closes mid to late May every year.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
To me, the most humorous part of the list is the explanations. It has to do more with recent upgrades, which is irrelevant to spring skiing, and events planned, which every mountain has, than the quality of skiing in the spring.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
The winner those past years has always been Mont St-Sauveur (Quebec) which closes mid to late May every year.
You are right and thanks for pointing that out. Like Killington, Mont St. Saveur has that day-trip proximity to a major population center (Montreal), My parochial thinking is that eastern skiing is New England plus NY, which is why I inadvertently omitted Mont St. Saveur.

fbrissette

You are right and thanks for pointing that out. Like Killington, Mont St. Saveur has that day-trip proximity to a major population center (Montreal), My parochial thinking is that eastern skiing is New England plus NY, which is why I inadvertently omitted Mont St. Saveur.

It is OK not to think of Mont Saint-Sauveur. It is a totally forgettable hill.

2knees

I live right outside hartford and have day tripped to killington probably 100 times in 25 years and if i ever did it in 2 hours, well, it would be a serious cannonball run...but i agree with your post in that it is the only serious east coast player for spring within a day trip for the major cities.