• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Suicide Six's name

VTKilarney

While Vermont has been a blue state for quite some time, I've noticed that in the past few years the concept of taking offense to anything and everything has really blossomed. Free speech be damned, nobody should ever be offended even to the slightest degree.

I've surprised, therefore, that mental health "advocates" have not taken issue with the name of the Suicide Six ski area. Remember all of the controversy over Vermont Teddy Bear's "Crazy For You" bear?

I predict that in the next few years there will be a movement to have the name changed. Maybe I should start hoarding trail maps to sell on Ebay someday.

skiNEwhere

If we are heading down the PC slope, then both big squaw and squaw valley should change their name as well, as the word "squaw" is considered by some Native Americans to be a derogatory term for a woman

VTKilarney

Good point. I bet you that there are even more ski areas that could be targeted.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Killington

would probably upset the same PC crowd as those that don't care for the Suicide Six name.

skiNEwhere

Let's add smugglers north to the mix while we are at it. Smuggling is illegal and should not be glorified

VTKilarney

Let's add smugglers north to the mix while we are at it. Smuggling is illegal and should not be glorified
I just looked up "notch" on urbandictionary.com. I was surprised to see just how tame the definition was.

skiNEwhere

Let's see, who else.....

Angelfire (blasphemy?)
Beaver Creek and Beaver Mtn (Why not just call it Vagina Mtn instead?)
Gore (synonymous with blood, possibly torture, also I don't think Al Gore approves of skiing)
Magic - there will be no supporting of witchcraft or sorcery in the state

Tin

I'm a mental health advocate and professional. The "Crazy for You" bear thing was quite legit and don't forget it was in a straight jacket. If it was just a bear that was labeled "Crazy for You" then no one would have batted an eye. Just as no one thinks "Suicide Six" is a problem because it is not like its' logo is someone hanging in a closet or holding a gun to their head. A name is one thing, imagery is another.

In terms of the bear there are still a lot of older individuals that grew up in "facilities for the feeble minded" and such places that spent days in straight jackets or confined because it made the staffer's life easier. When you actually see a nine year old girl have to be restrained and put in a chair because the hallucinations she is seeing are so frightening she permanently blinds herself by attempting to cut her eyes out of their sockets maybe you would understand the whole straight jacket thing. It is a horrible thing to witness.

You're messing with apples and oranges here.

VTKilarney

A quick look at Liftopia shows that Michigan has all sorts of offensive ski area names:
- The Porkies
- Mt. Zion
- Shanty Creek Resort
- Nubs Nob
- Indianhead
- Snow Snake
- Pine Knob

VTKilarney

I'm a mental health advocate and professional. The "Crazy for You" bear thing was quite legit and don't forget it was in a straight jacket. If it was just a bear that was labeled "Crazy for You" then no one would have batted an eye. Just as no one thinks "Suicide Six" is a problem because it is not like it's logo is someone hanging in a closet or holding a gun to their head. A name is one thing, imagery is another. There are still a lot of older individuals that grew up in "facilities for the feeble minded" and such places that spent days in straight jackets or confined because it made the staffer's life easier.

When you actually see a nine year old girl have to be restrained and put in a chair or some device because the hallucinations she is seeing are so frightening she permanently blinds herself by attempting to cut her eyes out of their sockets maybe you would understand the whole straight jacket thing. It is a horrible thing to witness.
Your position is well though out and reasonable. Never underestimate the ability of progressive Vermonter's to ignore logic reason. Just look at all of the people opposed to smart meters and fluoride. This is why I put the word "advocates" in quotation marks.

I do appreciate you taking the time to share those thoughts. It's so much more mature than just saying: "You're an idiot."

Last edited:

Tin

Your position is well though out and reasonable. Never underestimate the ability of progressive Vermonter's to ignore logic reason. Just look at all of the people opposed flouride.

Here is where you might not like me lol. I have also worked in one of the best neurology labs in the country for the past four years and let's just say there is an interesting correlation (notice correlation, not causation) between shallow wells (not just ones exposed to pesticides on farms), fluoride, and Parkinson's. As always, more research needs to be done.

MadMadWorld

Here is where you might not like me lol. I have also worked in one of the best neurology labs in the country for the past four years and let's just say there is an interesting correlation (notice correlation, not causation) between shallow wells (not just ones exposed to pesticides on farms), fluoride, and Parkinson's. As always, more research needs to be done.

Please ignore the tree hugging liberal folks :eek:

Highway Star

I'm a mental health advocate and professional. The "Crazy for You" bear thing was quite legit and don't forget it was in a straight jacket. If it was just a bear that was labeled "Crazy for You" then no one would have batted an eye. Just as no one thinks "Suicide Six" is a problem because it is not like its' logo is someone hanging in a closet or holding a gun to their head. A name is one thing, imagery is another.

In terms of the bear there are still a lot of older individuals that grew up in "facilities for the feeble minded" and such places that spent days in straight jackets or confined because it made the staffer's life easier. When you actually see a nine year old girl have to be restrained and put in a chair because the hallucinations she is seeing are so frightening she permanently blinds herself by attempting to cut her eyes out of their sockets maybe you would understand the whole straight jacket thing. It is a horrible thing to witness.

You're messing with apples and oranges here.

Thank you for your well considered post. OP is an idiot.