• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Suicide Six's name

bobbutts

I dare any of you to go up to a native and address him as Redskin. Of course it's derogatory and you know it.

skiNEwhere

Should be get rid of the Chicago Blackhawks too? What about KC Chiefs? Like a quarter of professional sports teams have "offensive" names. If we are gonna get rid of one, we need to get rid of all of them to avoid a double standard

bobbutts

Should be get rid of the Chicago Blackhawks too? What about KC Chiefs? Like a quarter of professional sports teams have "offensive" names. If we are gonna get rid of one, we need to get rid of all of them to avoid a double standard
I'm not advocating any particular action, just disagree with those that claim that "Redskins" not offensive. I believe it's a disingenuous argument.

VTKilarney

As I stated earlier, just because it may not have been an offensive term in the past does not mean that it is not offensive in the present. I also believe that the affected group has the right to judge whether or not it is offensive. It is not my place to make that determination.

dlague

I dare any of you to go up to a native and address him as Redskin. Of course it's derogatory and you know it.

Do not want to get to deep on this one since I know how this forum can blow up but ....

I am part Native American Indian about 35% - mostly Algonquin and a little Mohawk. I remember a time in the 60 and 70's when that term had a more positive meaning. Redskin was first recorded in the late 17th century and was applied to the Algonquian peoples generally, but specifically to the Delaware (who lived in what is now southern New York State and New York City, New Jersey, and eastern Pennsylvania). Redskin referred not to the natural skin color of the Delaware, but to their use of vermilion face paint and body paint. The term later lead to stand for qualities of strength, honor, bravery and courage, hence the reason is has been used for sports teams. In fact there are 62 schools across the US that still use that term for their team and the following are Native American schools: Red Mesa High School (Arizona), Wellpinit High School Wellpinit, Washington and Kingston High School Kingston, Oklahoma.

Has the term been switched to have negative conotations - absolutely (later in history). The original users of the term - Native Americans.

MadMadWorld

On a separate note I find it ridiculous that the trademark board ruled against them because they believe it is racist and derogatory. If people actually saw a list of some of the names and slogan that are okay they would probably be horrified. Things that are a lot more racist than Redskins

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
A little further off topic...
I was in Baltimore's airport yesterday and one of the shops had little toy planes. There was one plane left on the two hooks that held Baltimore Ravens planes.
The two hooks holding Redskins planes were completely full.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I was in Baltimore's airport yesterday and one of the shops had little toy planes. There was one plane left on the two hooks that held Baltimore Ravens planes.

Well, BWI is closer to Raven's Territory than Washington's.

MadMadWorld

In other news, Patriots pro shop still has a fully stock supply of Mark Sanchez jerseys :p

BenedictGomez

Oh the irony!

On a separate note I find it ridiculous that the trademark board ruled against them because they believe it is racist and derogatory. If people actually saw a list of some of the names and slogan that are okay they would probably be horrified. Things that are a lot more racist than Redskins

That's because it was done for political reasons. 100% politics, 100% of the time. Neverending campaign mode.

This thread shows the pussification of America.

Amen.

Men cant even tell a female coworker something as innocent a compliment as, "oh, you look pretty today" due to fear of losing their job.

Actually, more like fear of losing their job, being banned from their industry, and then tarred and feathered.

bobbutts

Yeah, it has been getting progressively worse. We used to be able to do non-pussy stuff like genocide against the natives. Now you can't even run a multi-billion dollar company with a racist trademark without some people suggesting you change it.

bobbutts

Oh the irony!

That's because it was done for political reasons. 100% politics, 100% of the time. Neverending campaign mode.

Amen.

Men cant even tell a female coworker something as innocent a compliment as, "oh, you look pretty today" due to fear of losing their job.

Actually, more like fear of losing their job, being banned from their industry, and then tarred and feathered.
I agree, it is so tough being a gainfully employed upper class white man, aka victim. We're persecuted at every turn.

Cannonball

+1. If you give a F about teddy bears or still pay attention to the NFL you are fully pussified!

Can we all agree that the NFL is the antithesis of of the american ideal? Paying big money to sit on your ass and watch overgrown children bang into each other would make our founding fathers cry in their beer. I don't care about the redskins changing their name.... I just want to set them go away. Especially during ski session!

BenedictGomez

We used to be able to do non-pussy stuff like genocide against the natives.

There was no "genocide" against Native Americans.

You either don't really understand what the word, "genocide" means, or are severely lacking in your understanding of American history.

EDIT: The third alternative is bobbutts was one of the unfortunate schoolchildren who was fed propaganda as a child (aka Howard Zinn's, "A People's History of the United States", which is virtually solely responsible for advancing the false "genocide" myth).

BenedictGomez

I agree, it is so tough being a gainfully employed upper class white man, aka victim. We're persecuted at every turn.

Can you even explain what this means?

Can we all agree that the NFL is the antithesis of of the american ideal? Paying big money to sit on your ass and watch overgrown children bang into each other would make our founding fathers cry in their beer.
I don't care about the redskins changing their name.... I just want to set them go away. Especially during ski session!

That's why I sit on my couch and watch it on TV.......with a beer!