• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

OldsnowboarderMe asks a serious skiing question

My 9 year old grandson wants to learn to ski so I purchased skis and boots online for him. The bindings need to be mounted and set. The question is " Does the ski shop need the ski boots to mount and test the bindings or just the length of the boot measurement? My other grandson is a snowboarder like me.

Puck it

My 9 year old grandson wants to learn to ski so I purchased skis and boots online for him. The bindings need to be mounted and set. The question is " Does the ski shop need the ski boots to mount and test the bindings or just the length of the boot measurement? My other grandson is a snowboarder like me.

They need both.

KevinF

The shop can mount the bindings with the BSL (boot sole length) measurement alone. I've bought skis online and had the online shop mount the bindings in this manner.

That said, you should still have a shop check the bindings with the actual boot.

Smellytele

The shop can mount the bindings with the BSL (boot sole length) measurement alone. I've bought skis online and had the online shop mount the bindings in this manner.

That said, you should still have a shop check the bindings with the actual boot.
correct on all accounts

jack97

Why don't online shops?

That's a good point. I did both, online and brick/mortar. The online just needed the bsl. The brick/mortar required at least one boot to test the binding release.

Hawkshot99

The shop will require the boots for liability reasons.

Why don't online shops?

That's a good point. I did both, online and brick/mortar. The online just needed the bsl. The brick/mortar required at least one boot to test the binding release.

My guess is that the online shop can get away with it because they did not actually sdjust the binding to the ski boot. They just adjusted the binding to a xxx.mm boot sole and then told you to take them to a ski shop for a adjust and function test. Or they claim tyey just threw the bindings on the ski for transport, and it just happened to be to your bsl.
When you go to a shop they are truely adjusting it to YOUR boot and function testing to YOUR boot.

Scruffy

My guess is that the online shop can get away with it because they did not actually sdjust the binding to the ski boot. They just adjusted the binding to a xxx.mm boot sole and then told you to take them to a ski shop for a adjust and function test. Or they claim tyey just threw the bindings on the ski for transport, and it just happened to be to your bsl.
When you go to a shop they are truely adjusting it to YOUR boot and function testing to YOUR boot.

Correct. When you buy online and ask them to mount to a bsl, you'll get a disclaimer with the skis stating you must take the skis into a qualified shop to be adjusted and function tested. Whether you actually do or not is up to you.

hammer

Last time I took skis in for a binding check the shop wanted both boots. Good insurance even if the bindings are mounted and adjusted at an online shop.

dlague

Every time I have had bindings mounted I needed to have one boot. The other day went to get binding mounted at Sports Authority and they now require both boots. For them it is a liability issue and removing as many risks as possible. My argument to them was - what is to say the child will put the skis on the same way every time. I ended up not going there because I brought only one boot that day. Ended up at a real ski shop where they used one boot. The boot is needed for release testing.

Hawkshot99

Every time I have had bindings mounted I needed to have one boot. The other day went to get binding mounted at Sports Authority and they now require both boots. For them it is a liability issue and removing as many risks as possible. My argument to them was - what is to say the child will put the skis on the same way every time. I ended up not going there because I brought only one boot that day. Ended up at a real ski shop where they used one boot. The boot is needed for release testing.

And what if one of the boots has a sole that is worn down past a acceptable use level? And you bring in the boot that is till good to go? The shop tests with the good boot and tells you everything is great, not knowing that your other boot is bad. They are then liable for telling you its all good....

jack97

And what if one of the boots has a sole that is worn down past a acceptable use level? And you bring in the boot that is till good to go? The shop tests with the good boot and tells you everything is great, not knowing that your other boot is bad. They are then liable for telling you its all good....

Then most likely the other boot is just as worn, i would assume the shop would say get new ones. That would be in their best interest as well. Last three mounts, each at different places, they use just used one boot.

Edd

Point of interest: I recently purchased my second set of Kneebindings. Those are boot specific, due to the manner in which they release. The same boot is always clicked into the same binding. In this particular case, the shop insists upon testing both boots for the release.

Hawkshot99

Then most likely the other boot is just as worn, i would assume the shop would say get new ones. That would be in their best interest as well. Last three mounts, each at different places, they use just used one boot.

When I walk I wear out the outside of my right boot sole much quicjer than my left sole. So I go and swap them bacj and forth quite regularly to keep the wear equal. Most people do not do this.

Hawkshot99

Cat tracks are your friend.
Trust me, I know what cat tracks are. But they cost the same amount as a new set of toes and heals for a pair of boots and last about the same amount of time....

I am just giving the reasons that a shop SHOULD be requiring both boots to be brought in for a function test. Whats the point of doing it, if its not done properly? As part of the procedure from the binding manufactures inspection of the boots is required when mounting/testing a pair of bindings. If a person hurts themselves then goes to sue the shop any lawyer will ask why didn't the shop follow the procedures put out by the binding manufacture....

jack97

When I walk I wear out the outside of my right boot sole much quicjer than my left sole. So I go and swap them bacj and forth quite regularly to keep the wear equal. Most people do not do this.

I am just giving the reasons that a shop SHOULD be requiring both boots to be brought in for a function test. Whats the point of doing it, if its not done properly? As part of the procedure from the binding manufactures inspection of the boots is required when mounting/testing a pair of bindings. If a person hurts themselves then goes to sue the shop any lawyer will ask why didn't the shop follow the procedures put out by the binding manufacture....

if one sole is badly worn, then that means each ski will only be fitted for that boot. And it must be used for that ski every time you ski.

Not sure about you but i don't want ski shops to protect me for my own good and insist that i have to consistently match my boot the the ski even if this is a problem for a small group of skiers.