• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

21 and Older Pubs at Ski Areas During the Day?

dlague

This weekend while skiing at Cannon we discovered that our son (12) would not be able to eat with us in the Cannonball Pub - BECAUSE IT WAS AFTER 2:30. BTW this is a Saturday only rule. That seemed odd to me since the skiing day had not ended yet and there were plenty of families that might have wanted some pub grub and drinks. Seems to me that this is a money losing proposition. In all my years of skiing and having skied at many other ski areas, I must say that I have never heard of this before. I can certainly see maybe a late night Apres Ski Party, maybe? But not in the middle of the after noon!

Do any of you know where a similar practice takes place? Is this a good idea or a bad idea?

Tin

Weird. Before 8-9pm as long as they are accompanied by an adult I dont see the issue.

steamboat1

Most ski areas I've been to do not let children sit at the bar but sitting at a table with their parents is perfectly fine, especially when ordering food. The Mansfield lodge at Stowe has the bar in the middle of the base lodge & it's not roped off either. Seems like a bad idea to me & like you said they'll probably lose income because of their policy.

Puck it

It is normal at Cannon. I think it has to do with the live music that they have on Saturdays if I remeber right from last year. We had the same issue with our 19 yr old daughter last year.

dlague

It is normal at Cannon. I think it has to do with the live music that they have on Saturdays if I remember right from last year. We had the same issue with our 19 yr old daughter last year.

That is correct! But that does not stop the problem and the music has nothing to do with it! The staff of Cannonball Pub need to take responsibility too. Whats to stop me from buying two beers then sitting in the area out side of the pub and hand one to my 19 year old after 2:30 (BTW I would not do that). That same 19 year old who had access last year still access today irregardless.

steamboat1

It is normal at Cannon. I think it has to do with the live music that they have on Saturdays if I remeber right from last year. We had the same issue with our 19 yr old daughter last year.
When I turned 18 that was the legal drinking age. I remember the first thing I did after picking up my draft card that day was go to a bar. This was the year they ended the draft. If you're old enough to join the service I can't see why you wouldn't be allowed to drink.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
I would suggest writing management an email to get clarification on an odd policy. Maybe its a NH state law not enforced at other places? The state does have some odd rules that most places do not enforce such as no alcoholic beverages allowed on dance floors. It could be the state and not Cannon mgmt.

xwhaler

I experienced this last yr as well. My wife was in the lodge w/ our 1 yr old son while I did some runs with Savemeasammy. She tried grabbing lunch in Cannonball with him around 2.
While the sign does say after 2:30 she was there at 2 and was told that because it was unlikely they would finish eating/paying the bill before 2:30 they were not allowed in.
I wasn't too happy when I heard that but as mentioned I do think it only hurts their $

Tin

When I turned 18 that was the legal drinking age. I remember the first thing I did after picking up my draft card that day was go to a bar. This was the year they ended the draft. If you're old enough to join the service I can't see why you wouldn't be allowed to drink.

attachment.php

Attachments

• tumblr_lpn4d2z22r1qe11kdo1_500.png
    tumblr_lpn4d2z22r1qe11kdo1_500.png
    260.4 KB · Views: 368

Smellytele

On March 29, 1975, President Ford signed Proclamation 4360 (Terminating Registration Procedures Under Military Selective Service Act), eliminating the registration requirement for all 18–25 year old male citizens.[SUP][14][/SUP]
On July 2, 1980, however, President Carter signed Proclamation 4771 (Registration Under the Military Selective Service Act) in response to the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan,[SUP][15][/SUP] retroactively re-establishing the Selective Service registration requirement for all 18–26 year old male citizens born on or after January 1, 1960.[SUP][16][/SUP] Only men born between March 29, 1957, and December 31, 1959, were completely exempt from Selective Service registration.[SUP][17][/SUP]

jaytrem

Cuzzins at Mount Snow had a similar rule, not sure if they still do. Basically underage people had to be in by a similar time. Once you were in they wouldn't kick you out.

drjeff

Cuzzins at Mount Snow had a similar rule, not sure if they still do. Basically underage people had to be in by a similar time. Once you were in they wouldn't kick you out.

They still have that policy on most Saturday's for Cuzzin's - kids can be in the bar area at anytime upstairs in the Station Taproom though - If its not busy, I even let my kids sit on a bar stool along the outer rail (not at the bar proper though) - then again the bartender's up in The Station know my kids on a 1st name basis and know that my kids like a long push on the sprite button of their soda gun! ;) lol