• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

where to find snowkiters/kiteboarders in southern Vermont?

sqyntz

Hi,

Can anyone suggest snowkiting/kiteboarding spots in the vicinity of Mount Snow or Stratton? Usually large frozen lakes are a good bet. Any thoughts?

thanks!
Sq.

Cannonball

attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 117

sqyntz

yes, a lot of sports are dangerous.

what's notable that the person in that news story drove to one end of the lake and kite skiied back to where he started. this would suggest that he wasn't experienced enough to know how to kite-ski upwind. kite-skiing downwind is easy, kite-skiing upwind requires a bit more training. while it is a terrible tragedy, it does leaves the impression that he was a downwind kite-skiing cowboy..

deadheadskier

Staff member
Anyone kite skiing that day was a bit nuts. Almost every ski area in New England had windholds. Washington had its worst wind gusts since 2008.

sqyntz

Poor dude. Do these things not 'release' somehow?

kites can be flown with or without a harness. and yes, when using a harness there is a quick release mechanism.

one of the very first things that you learn and practice is HOW TO RELEASE..

skifree

I have snowmobiled sommerset a few times. think that would be perfect. easier access places would be harriman reservoir just south of Wilmington or on the smaller side lake raponda a little east of west dover area.

sqyntz

I have snowmobiled sommerset a few times. think that would be perfect. easier access places would be harriman reservoir just south of Wilmington or on the smaller side lake raponda a little east of west dover area.

Cool, thanks skifree and Cannonball for the maps. So how does one go about determining ice condition? does VAST have any type of advisory system, or is the observed ice thickness for Sommerset published anywhere?

Is there a good rule of thumb regarding daily average/high temperature?

sqyntz

going to give Sommerset a try this weekend.. if you see a snowboarder with a kite that'll be me. but don't worry, I won't be in the news.

-Sq

C-Rex

Cool, thanks skifree and Cannonball for the maps. So how does one go about determining ice condition? does VAST have any type of advisory system, or is the observed ice thickness for Sommerset published anywhere?

Is there a good rule of thumb regarding daily average/high temperature?

It's good that you're thinking this way but I don't think you have anything to worry about when it comes to ice thickness right now. I think we've had like 1 day above freezing in the past 6 weeks, and the rest have been WELL below freezing, if not below zero.

Post up some vids or pics if you get a chance. That shit is cool.

SIKSKIER

yes, a lot of sports are dangerous.

what's notable that the person in that news story drove to one end of the lake and kite skiied back to where he started. this would suggest that he wasn't experienced enough to know how to kite-ski upwind. kite-skiing downwind is easy, kite-skiing upwind requires a bit more training. while it is a terrible tragedy, it does leaves the impression that he was a downwind kite-skiing cowboy..
Tsapis had experience kite-skiing, had his own kite and had done it for a few years. He told authorities that he had gone as fast as 35 mph but it appears he was stopping as he reached his house, the sheriff’s office said.