• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What the heck is going on at Magic?

Treepopper

Ski patrol liability is covered by the national association. You are so 2000-late (sorry, had to). They haven't had liability insurance from what I understand since reopening circa 2003.

No problem, but not sure u r correct. Nsp manual says their insurance covers when training or at nsp educational things, or as a result of of training, etc. also says patrollers
Under direction of mtn management and patroller acting on behalf of management.
If i recall there is then an endorsement to their policy that says it does not cover any patroller acting on behalf of management.......
maybe the ex head of patrol knows best......

skithetrees

I will edit my post then. I could be wrong, just relaying what one patroller told me. Perhaps they should investigate.

Do Work

My Q was just 6 fans for all of Showoff?

Honestly- this is the type of question that drives me insane. How many fan guns do YOU think there should be? Like... For real, who cares? They're blowing snow top to bottom. Let it gooooooooo.

Just saw a photo on Instagram of a non fan gun going. That is great news. That means they have an air compressor, with fuel, running.

Looks like they have their system going full steam.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

RustyGroomer

Just saw a photo on Instagram of a non fan gun going. That is great news. That means they have an air compressor, with fuel, running.

Looks like they have their system going full steam.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

The whole shebang? Anti-jinx....

slatham

Just like the moon landing, its all fake!

Just kidding....

Regarding fan guns: they do not have power for the fan guns up on Trick so they need the air/water system to get open TTB. But of course they can also use the air/water guns on Showoff to augment the fans.

In my observation (so this is in no way fact) they only have power for the fan guns on Show Off, Hocus Pocus, Beginner area and Tubing area. They may have power on some of Wand, Lower Carpet and Lower Wizard but I haven't noticed it. Anyone want to chime in?

Its great to see them blowing snow. Hopefully any lift issues are also behind them and they open as planned on Saturday. Throw in a good storm and we'll be on here watching Rusty Groomer video of Do Work!!!!

doublediamond

Honestly- this is the type of question that drives me insane. How many fan guns do YOU think there should be? Like... For real, who cares? They're blowing snow top to bottom. Let it gooooooooo.

I thought they had more guns than were shown in their FB pictures. Just checked their financial report from '11 ... JS said they had 7. So sue me. But a 400-ft spacing is ridiculous even for a fan gun. And people on here wonder why it takes them 5 days of non-stop snowmaking to open.

doublediamond

Just like the moon landing, its all fake!

Just kidding....

Regarding fan guns: they do not have power for the fan guns up on Trick so they need the air/water system to get open TTB. But of course they can also use the air/water guns on Showoff to augment the fans.

In my observation (so this is in no way fact) they only have power for the fan guns on Show Off, Hocus Pocus, Beginner area and Tubing area. They may have power on some of Wand, Lower Carpet and Lower Wizard but I haven't noticed it. Anyone want to chime in?

Its great to see them blowing snow. Hopefully any lift issues are also behind them and they open as planned on Saturday. Throw in a good storm and we'll be on here watching Rusty Groomer video of Do Work!!!!

That's what I thought from my recollection.

MMP

well they can make piles and groom it so the spacing isn't as important as the fact that they are at full or close to full capacity on the terrain they are attempting to open. I feel better just seeing this. It's snow.

are the flags still looking good?

why was Switzerland first? anyone? I know VTKill doesn't have time for riddles on a ski forum, he's too busy posting 3500 times in the last couple/three years.

Wardrobe

^^ You're not a Magic skier if you don't know the answer. The initials are the same as a famous VT beer.

Do Work

I thought they had more guns than were shown in their FB pictures. Just checked their financial report from '11 ... JS said they had 7. So sue me. But a 400-ft spacing is ridiculous even for a fan gun. And people on here wonder why it takes them 5 days of non-stop snowmaking to open.

You should write them a letter. I'm sure there's no particular reason there aren't more going hahahahahaha

Newpylong

Lack of water, air, equipment, or any combination would make it take 5 days, not fan gun spacing. If they bunched them up they would still have to move them and make the same amount of snow.

When you have limited capacity one could make the argument it's better to leave them as is and lay down more. If the prevailing winds change directions, even better, you rotate them.

At least that's my experience.

RustyGroomer

Interesting that Kerry's response on FB thanking Mountain Ops last night for their hard work disappeared. Are these people that insecure??

you could tell them there's a huge bag of money waiting for them over by the Red Chair & they'd delete it. Yes.