• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best route to Sugarloaf?

Whitey

With the AZ summit upcoming, this thought came to me. I know alternate routes to SL have been posted here in the past but I did a search and couldn't find them.

I've always done the fairly traditional route from the south; 95 to Lewiston, then routes 4 to 27 to 16.

But for this trip I may try going further north on 95. Has anyone done 95 up to Waterville, route 139 to route 201 to route 16? Definitely some backtracking west that way, but it does keep you on a highway longer and limits the amount of back roads you have to travel.

thebigo

We have done it both ways many times and find that we prefer 295 to Augusta, get off on 27.

Edd

I've done the Waterville exit, taking 139 to Madison, picking up 16 toward Kingfield multiple times. It's as fast as any route up 95, IMO.

I think exiting at Augusta or Waterville are better ways than going through Lewiston.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I go 95>295 pick up 27 in Augusta.

Never gone the Lewiston route. I've driven from Waterville to Farmington before, but not on a Sugarloaf commute. Roads are fine, time savings maybe, maybe not over going up 27 in Augusta. The Waterville route would only get you 25 miles more time on the highway.

One thing I don't like about Maine is they direct you to stay on 95 when 295 is the far faster route going between Portland and Augusta.

xwhaler

Have done the drive hundreds of times. IMHO best route is 95-295-95-104-139-201A-16. Keeps you on the highway longer and adds miles but IMHO way better.
The stretch going thru Lewiston/Auburn is loaded with traffic lights.
Was always the worst part of the drive when we rented in Rangeley and couldn't really avoid that.

skiMEbike

Generally speaking the three main routes are fairly close typically on average within ~20 mins of each other, with any given day any route can take longer...It kind of depends where you want want to "speed" & make up your time. IMO, I've found the Route 4 thru Auburn to 27 route usually takes less time. Also, I tend to travel the "shorter is better" route (which Route 4 through Auburn is about 15 - 20 miles shorter). Just to clarify the main routes it is:
1. 95 to Auburn to Route 4 to Route 27,
2. 295 to 95 to Augusta to Route 27,
3. 295 to 95 to Waterville to Route 104 to Route 139 to Route 201A to Route 16

If you travel during the daylight, the Waterville route offers up some cool views of Mount Abraham as you approach Kingfield which you don't get traveling the other routes.

dlague

We have always done the Auburn (95 to Auburn to Route 4 to Route 27) but then again we also went the same way going to Saddleback except we satyed on Route 4. I looked up the google maps time and the three routes mentioned are very similar (4:32, 4:33 and 4:33).

deadheadskier

Staff member
We have always done the Auburn (95 to Auburn to Route 4 to Route 27) but then again we also went the same way going to Saddleback except we satyed on Route 4. I looked up the google maps time and the three routes mentioned are very similar (4:32, 4:33 and 4:33).

Coming from the Concord area I'd likely head North on 93 then cut over 2. Avoid traffic and tolls.

dlague

Coming from the Concord area I'd likely head North on 93 then cut over 2. Avoid traffic and tolls.

Problem with that route is just how rural it is. There is nothing around for miles and miles on some parts. We took that to Saddleback one year and the road was in rough shape.

freeski

I93 to 2 is a very lonely, dark and deserted route at night. Even being in Concord I like to go up I95. During the day you can see a good part of the middle of Maine. Lots of fields for good sight seeing. Do they still have the snowflake lights every couple of miles on the last looong stretch going into SL?

fiddleski

From 93, you can go through the Notch, cut across through Twin Mountain to rt. 2, and then catch rt. 16 in Gorham through Berlin, Errol, and Rangeley to the 'Loaf. 16 is pretty fast if there's no snow, and always beautiful, but it is very lonely. Errol to Rangeley has been paved for as long as I've been driving it (10+ yrs) and the Maine section was resurfaced just a few years ago, but is already starting to deteriorate. Roads don't last long with those winters.
I93 to 2 is a very lonely, dark and deserted route at night. Even being in Concord I like to go up I95. During the day you can see a good part of the middle of Maine. Lots of fields for good sight seeing. Do they still have the snowflake lights every couple of miles on the last looong stretch going into SL?

VTKilarney

I got stuck behind a log truck on Route 2 the other day. It was torture. Every time a passing zone came there was an approaching car.

Farleyman

Heading to white river junction to visit a friend at Dartmouth Hitchcock hospital Sunday morning from loaf ... Best rout to 91 south anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

drjeff

Drive North until you see the "Welcome to Canada" sign, and then come back about 5 feet until you see a Moose wearing a "Sunday River someday wsnys to be bigger" shirt, and your just about there! ;-)