• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ragged 2/28/16

dlague

Ragged

Conditions: Loose Granular on firm wet MM

Trip Report:

After getting back from Colorado, we opted to ski locally. We were not sure what conditions were like at Cannon and we had comps to burn up so we decided on skiing Ragged. With only 21 trails open we knew it was not going to be anything challenging and since the temps were going to be warm and what ever might be frozen might loosen up a bit. It turns out trails that were open were in great shape. It all seemed kind of boring, however, since the only black trail was headwall which IMO is not a black trail. We basically used up a voucher and it was close to home so no real biggie. We basically skied Exhibition, Flying Yankee, Upper Ridge, New Found Ridge, Headwall, Wild Side, and Lower Ridge and Main Street. The bottom part of Main Street above the lift (at bottom of the race course) was super sticky. Ragged has returned all their compressors and are now left with only fan guns which will be used to keep the base alive as much as possible. However, they created really wet snow Saturday into Sunday which was tough as you fly down Main Street and then you come to nearly a screeching halt. Better yet turning really hard to get to the other side of the lift with out all the way down was interesting.

Best runs of the day were Exhibition, and Flying Yankee. Flying Yankee was a little icy where they set up for race training but nothing terrible. It was a playful day that was more like a spring skiing day since they were grillin' on the brik with beers outside. I was a bit snobby after skiing in CO Ragged seemed really lame. We used to ski there 6-10 times per season when we lived in Andover, NH(2002-2005) and we thought it was the bomb. It has lost it sizzle this year without the snow to open up the glades and other interesting trails to skiers left of Exhibition or to the skiers right of Showboat including Showboat. Kind of made us feel sad for the place. I think Ragged is managed weird, some of the staff that we got to know are no longer there and the overall vibe feels different.

It was an OK day and conditions were pretty good. While the lunch time crowd seemed pretty good soon thereafter the place became a ghost town. If you like to cruise then Ragged is still pretty good, if you want more than that don't bother.

dlague

Son launching of a jump in the park
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1456879634.394995.jpg
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1456879730.039731.jpg
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1456879785.347497.jpg
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1456879831.419885.jpg

Exhibition
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1456879851.723423.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

xwhaler

Ragged has clearly gone for the bury key terrain strategy this season. When I was there a few weeks ago everything they had open was buried and should last through March hopefully.
I'm sure it was a bit of a shock coming from CO to Ragged but I think they have done a good job this yr.

When they have natural snow the mtn really shines

SkiRay

Ahh.. I am used to the other forums where trip reports are in the same area..

Going to look now.

R

Tin

200.gif