• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jumbo Glacier Resort

Edd

I searched AZ for a thread on this but came up empty. It's hard to believe there isn't one. I watched a movie on Netflix this morning called Jumbo Wild. It's a documentary concerning this proposed ski area in British Columbia: http://jumboglacierresort.com/about/

I've never heard of this place. The proposal has been fiercely contested by locals for years. The film appears even handed at first but morphs into a commercial against the ski area being built. It sounds incredible but I'm uncertain which side of the fence I'm on.

Just posting for those who haven't heard of it.

Jully

I remember learning about this a few years ago. Not sure where they are in the proposal. Fascinating proposal for sure and has awesome potential. However there are environmental concerns with wildlife in the region. The developers claim they are being careful and whatnot but I don't have enough information to make a sound judgement either way as well.

I think the resort would technically be the largest in North America and would have summer skiing? Pretty sweet for sure, but do the Canadian Rockies really need another resort? Not sure if the demand makes the place warranted.

abc

I think the resort would technically be the largest in North America and would have summer skiing? Pretty sweet for sure, but do the Canadian Rockies really need another resort? Not sure if the demand makes the place warranted.
My first reaction is yes. The demand will be there as the climate kept on getting warmer.

But I know nothing about this place. Whether it's the best location for another ski resort or not. So I'm not saying I support the building of this particular one. Just that one needs to look quite far ahead when planning for a ski resort. After all, it takes a while to get it build. It may just be the right timing when it's ready.

Zermatt

Where is it exactly in BC? Sounds very remote, but I'd like to see it on a map.

deadheadskier

Staff member
That's just the thing. I think if I wanted to ski during summer, ID put in a bit more effort and just head down to Chili.

Jully

My first reaction is yes. The demand will be there as the climate kept on getting warmer.

But I know nothing about this place. Whether it's the best location for another ski resort or not. So I'm not saying I support the building of this particular one. Just that one needs to look quite far ahead when planning for a ski resort. After all, it takes a while to get it build. It may just be the right timing when it's ready.

That's a very good point. Good for Canada if they can get the tourism too. I thought I remembered seeing a timeline citing like 2019 as a targeted opening for phase I or whatever. This could be wrong or have changed by this point however.

That's just the thing. I think if I wanted to ski during summer, ID put in a bit more effort and just head down to Chili.

Not sure how big a summer business they might get. I would have assumed it would be targeted more for camps and the young racer family types. Maybe not though.

skiNEwhere

I know for a fact that timberline uses salt on the snow to manage it in the summer. I skinned up Loveland last year in May after they closed to the general public and opened up to junior racers, and saw a pallet of salt stacked 5 feet high as well. Always a concern, especially if there is a body of water nearby.

Last edited:

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
I've seen ads for this in Backcountry mag. It seems to be a "save the grizzlies" thing. I'll have to check the movie out.

Bumpsis

I searched AZ for a thread on this but came up empty. It's hard to believe there isn't one. I watched a movie on Netflix this morning called Jumbo Wild. It's a documentary concerning this proposed ski area in British Columbia: http://jumboglacierresort.com/about/

I've never heard of this place. The proposal has been fiercely contested by locals for years. The film appears even handed at first but morphs into a commercial against the ski area being built. It sounds incredible but I'm uncertain which side of the fence I'm on.

Just posting for those who haven't heard of it.

I saw this film a while back. Sure, the film makers do have a definite point of view but that does not invalidate their position. The development in question would definitely disrupt the current ecosystem and that would be detrimental to a lot of natural life, including the grizzlies. One of most important points that I took away from it was that the proposed development would only dilute the current ski business by drawing people away from currently existing areas and resorts. There are at least 5 (off the top of my head) ski resorts along the Powder Highway and none of them get too crowded.

There simply is no need to tear up the environment just to add another resort over there, even though it's an awesome location. I have not been there, but did visit Panorama and just from that visit and what I saw (heli ski trip), the mountains out there are truly awe inspiring.

abc

Something about the north American model of ski mountains somehow just baffles me. In Europe, there're hundreds small, medium and large ski resorts all over the Alps. Lift tickets were about 1/2 of what ours are. You would think that's entirely unsustainable. Yet they don't go into debt or go broke any worse than North American resorts. Because of the lower cost of skiing, it doesn't have the "rich man's sport" reputation...

So, I don't know anything about adding another resort on the powder highway. People complain about crowded slopes. So a quieter resort has its appeal. It's just not clear whether it'll be sustainable or not.

Bumpsis

Something about the north American model of ski mountains somehow just baffles me. In Europe, there're hundreds small, medium and large ski resorts all over the Alps. Lift tickets were about 1/2 of what ours are. You would think that's entirely unsustainable. Yet they don't go into debt or go broke any worse than North American resorts. Because of the lower cost of skiing, it doesn't have the "rich man's sport" reputation...

So, I don't know anything about adding another resort on the powder highway. People complain about crowded slopes. So a quieter resort has its appeal. It's just not clear whether it'll be sustainable or not.

I wonder if European ski resorts get government subsidies in one form or another. I'm speculating here, but perhaps the various lift system that are in the Swiss and Italian Alps (linking towns in many cases) are considered public transportation and thus get government's help. That could reduce the price of lift tickets over there.

abc

I wonder if European ski resorts get government subsidies in one form or another. I'm speculating here, but perhaps the various lift system that are in the Swiss and Italian Alps (linking towns in many cases) are considered public transportation and thus get government's help. That could reduce the price of lift tickets over there.
I've never heard of government subsidy for the ski lifts. (my ex is from Switzerland, he would have known)

In Switzerland, individual lift in a lift network are often owned by different villages. That's why almost all the Swiss ski pass are RFID. They record each lift you ride, and the villages gets their share of the income based on the number of lift riders their own lift gets.

The mountain rail is most definitely subsidized. But that's not a mainstay of the uphill infrastructure except in a few limited cases. The difference is clear too. You can buy a train ticket to go from one station to another, but not a single ride lift ticket.

Outside of Switzerland, I don't think trains are used as ski lifts much at all.

VTKilarney

I've never heard of government subsidy for the ski lifts. (my ex is from Switzerland, he would have known)

In Switzerland, individual lift in a lift network are often owned by different villages.

Your second sentence most likely refutes your first sentence.

Edd

I saw this film a while back. Sure, the film makers do have a definite point of view but that does not invalidate their position. The development in question would definitely disrupt the current ecosystem and that would be detrimental to a lot of natural life, including the grizzlies. One of most important points that I took away from it was that the proposed development would only dilute the current ski business by drawing people away from currently existing areas and resorts. There are at least 5 (off the top of my head) ski resorts along the Powder Highway and none of them get too crowded.

There simply is no need to tear up the environment just to add another resort over there, even though it's an awesome location. I have not been there, but did visit Panorama and just from that visit and what I saw (heli ski trip), the mountains out there are truly awe inspiring.

I think I agree with you but I find the film flawed, the more I think about it. It fails to state its intentions up front and delivers its message on the back end. I don't like that.

machski

Semantics, Europe ski resorts are operated in a different model from North America financially. Plain and simple. Whether villages actually own lifts or subsidiaries them, there is clearly non private money being invested over there.