• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Medical Bills from Ski Areas...

Tin

Just came across a third mention of this happening on another website. Apparently, unless you are seriously injured at places like Wachusett and Okemo (the two that have been mentioned in other forums), you might want to avoid their ski patrol and first aid stations. Apparently some of these first aid stations are actually "clinics" that can legally bill you and do not accept insurance. And it is absurd, along the lines of $2,000 for an evaluation, wrist splint, and bag of snow to ice it for a sprained wrist (no x-rays, scripts, etc.), $1,200 for an eval, ankle wrap, and bag of snow for an ankle sprain, $900 for a pair of crutches, etc. Just a heads up.

Last edited:

Jully

That seems stupid that they don't accept insurance. If they're classified as 'clinics' I would think that meant they could accept insurance.

skiNEwhere

I remember my ex torn her ACL at MRG, they iced her leg a little bit and gave her a brace and crutches at no charge so that she could wobble to the car and get to the hospital. No charge. All they asked is that I give it back after she was treated (which I did).

Major kudos to places like MRG that aren't trying to gouge a penny at every opportunity from skiers

Tin

That seems stupid that they don't accept insurance. If they're classified as 'clinics' I would think that meant they could accept insurance.

It appears as though they advertise as a first aid station, tell you to fill something out so they can treat you, then bam. Pretty shady imo.

kartski

When I was on the Volunteer Ski Patrol at Hunter (vs the Paid Full Timers.) the Aid Station was run by the Ski Patrol, an American Red Cross Organization. No Fee until an Ambulance was called and the Ambulance Co. would bill you. There was also a Clinic run by 2 local Brothers ( Between the 2 they covered Pediatrics, Orthopedics and Sports Medicine.). It covered X-rays, Fracture Setting, sick kids away from home on Vacation and so on. Strictly Cash or Credit Card, Payment arrangements had to be made before they would see you. They were up front with that, no surprises. It probably varies State to State but in NYS a Ski Area has to provide Rescue / Aid just to be allowed to Operate.

Pez

When I did my ACL at Alta they did X rays and gave me crutches. I forgot what the deal was with insurance but I ended up paying about 700 out of pocket. That was 10 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

makimono

I guess things have changed. The one time I visited ski patrol was at Sunday River in about '92 with a dislocated shoulder, they sent me up the road to a clinic (on a Sunday afternoon) and the Doc took me right in, gave me a shot of morphine, x-rayed me and re-set the shoulder and I never saw a bill or paid one cent for it and nobody ever asked me about insurance which I didn't have anyways.

JimG.

Staff member
Not meaning to hijack the thread but does anyone have experience with cash only medical practices in lieu of health insurance?

freeski

I also had a good experience at Cannon. Had severe frostbite on my face. An employee gave me a ride to the hospital. He didn't ask for anything. I gave him $30.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I also had a good experience at Cannon. Had severe frostbite on my face. An employee gave me a ride to the hospital. He didn't ask for anything. I gave him $30.

Good thing you were not an employee......The idea of a clinic on any mountain price gouging is unethical. I drive a Ford, so I get in a serious accident and the "Ford " Ambulance shows up after my GPS sends a signal my airbag deployed ? Then charges me buku $ not right !

machski

Broke my ankle at Sunday River in 2014. No charges at the ski patrol center but to go over to the Western Maine Mountain Clinic(literally through a door), they warned you it was cash or card up front. But they were affiliated with Stevens Memorial and they could process my BCBS after the fact for me. X-rays, splint and the care wound up costing me a whole co-pay for an office visit after BCBS paid me back.

steamboat1

After breaking my ankle & tearing my ACL at Stratton I skied down, hobbled to my car & drove 5 hrs. home to NYC. Saw my ski buddy the next day who's a sports doctor, surgeon at Hospital for Special Surgery in NY. Didn't cost me squat. Yeah he got paid from my insurance but waived co-pays. Insurance even paid for my knee brace which I still wear while skiing. Numerous x-rays, hard cast & whatever they call that ligament scan thing ma jig.

Last edited:

Brad J

When I did my ACL at Alta they did X rays and gave me crutches. I forgot what the deal was with insurance but I ended up paying about 700 out of pocket. That was 10 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

I was treated there also and I submitted the bill to insurance company and was reimbursed.

Edd

I was treated there also and I submitted the bill to insurance company and was reimbursed.

I had this sort of experience at Sunday River. They found a hairline fracture on my wrist with an X-ray and gave me that info on a CD to take with me. The ortho back home used that info for diagnosis and put a cast on it.

drjeff

Many on mountain clinics aren't participating providers with any particular insurance plans, but will provide you with an itemized bill for you to submit to your insurance company for reimbursement - that's what happened when my daughter sustained a concussion at Mount Snow and was treated in their clinic last December

The majority of folks who staff on mountain clinics aren't volunteers but are employed by the clinic for enhanced care on site

LONGBOARDR

Interesting thread
this would be a great topic to be covered in a ski mag rather than the usual dreck they write