• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

B.C. Government Gives Approval to Build Large, Year Round Ski Resort

Jully

The locals are for the resort too in contrast to the immense opposition associated with the Jumbo Glacier Resort!

BenedictGomez

A 5 hour drive from Edmonton. Not the most accessible, but it does sound pretty awesome. Heck, in 2016 ANY ski resort opening sounds pretty awesome.

SIKSKIER

The onlydownside I can see is its location for both accesibility and more importantly,snowfall.These mts get about 1/2 what the big ranges in western BC get.And like Whistler and most of BC big mountains,towards the valleys gets little snow.This area might be a lot different though as it seems its base area is about 2700 ft.I assumed that by subracting the phase 1 numbers of 8500-5700.So maybe I'm way off on this.

Jully

Here they claim over 500 inches of snow around 5500 feet in elevation. It's also claiming that with one more lift not included in the current plan the vertical could be around 7450 feet!

If these numbers are accurate this has potential to be one of the very best ski areas in the world.

http://valemountglaciers.com/projects/skiing/?sf48289515=1

Yikes, if those numbers are correct then you're absolutely right. I always wonder how accurate numbers are when they're in the planning stages like this though.

Mapnut

Just from looking at aerial photos of those mountains, I'd guess that everything above 7,000 feet is high rocky peaks and cirques, a lot of extreme terrain.
Has anyone here skied Revelstoke, the other huge-vertical newish resort in BC? Is that catching on at all?

raisingarizona

Yikes, if those numbers are correct then you're absolutely right. I always wonder how accurate numbers are when they're in the planning stages like this though.

Ya, It's really likely they are fluffing things up for support! :)

raisingarizona

Just from looking at aerial photos of those mountains, I'd guess that everything above 7,000 feet is high rocky peaks and cirques, a lot of extreme terrain.
Has anyone here skied Revelstoke, the other huge-vertical newish resort in BC? Is that catching on at all?

I think it's seeing more visits and popularity but it lacks the infrastructure of a true ski resort, that's just my assumption from things I read so I don't really know.

fbrissette

Revelstoke is a skiers mountain only. There is only one ski-in ski-out hotel (albeit a very nice one) and nothing else at the base. It is a short drive to the city itself with not much to do there either. You go there to ski. The back bowl offers amazing opportunities for advanced (and extreme) skiers. Vertical is huge, but like most resorts, you'll likely only ski it one time per day. The rest of the time you'll lap the Alpine terrain. With nothing to do beside skiing, Revelstoke doesnt and never will attract huge crowds. Revelstoke is likely the best place in the world for heli-skiing.

I prefer Whistler-Blackcomb which offers much larger terrain with a lot more variety. However, Revelstoke has a much much better skiable acres to skiers ratio. For the same storm, you'll get much more untracked snow at Revelstoke than Whistler.

For a first ski trip to Canada, I would nonetheless strongly recommend Whistler-Blackcomb. Revelstoke/Kicking horse would be a good second trip with one heliski day if you can afford it (a must at least once).

mbedle

Revelstoke is a skiers mountain only. There is only one ski-in ski-out hotel (albeit a very nice one) and nothing else at the base. It is a short drive to the city itself with not much to do there either. You go there to ski. The back bowl offers amazing opportunities for advanced (and extreme) skiers. Vertical is huge, but like most resorts, you'll likely only ski it one time per day. The rest of the time you'll lap the Alpine terrain. With nothing to do beside skiing, Revelstoke doesnt and never will attract huge crowds. Revelstoke is likely the best place in the world for heli-skiing.

I prefer Whistler-Blackcomb which offers much larger terrain with a lot more variety. However, Revelstoke has a much much better skiable acres to skiers ratio. For the same storm, you'll get much more untracked snow at Revelstoke than Whistler.

For a first ski trip to Canada, I would nonetheless strongly recommend Whistler-Blackcomb. Revelstoke/Kicking horse would be a good second trip with one heliski day if you can afford it (a must at least once).

Revelstoke will look a lot different once the complete buildout is down. Of course you never know if that will ever happen. I was looking at real estate prices in Revelstoke and the area at the base and wow, talk about overpriced.

fbrissette

Revelstoke will look a lot different once the complete buildout is down. Of course you never know if that will ever happen. I was looking at real estate prices in Revelstoke and the area at the base and wow, talk about overpriced.

Supply and demand. Not that many ski in ski out lots available. Lots of money in Alberta. Some of those house are huge. A couple with helipads.

However, in town, less than 10 minutes away, you can buy something small for less than 100k canadian. I doubt Revelstoke will ever become much larger. It's just too far from any major city, and there are too many good options much closer to the same major cities.

mbedle

Supply and demand. Not that many ski in ski out lots available. Lots of money in Alberta. Some of those house are huge. A couple with helipads.

However, in town, less than 10 minutes away, you can buy something small for less than 100k canadian. I doubt Revelstoke will ever become much larger. It's just too far from any major city, and there are too many good options much closer to the same major cities.

I was just looking at a Remax site and what I saw was the cheapest house in Revelstoke was listed as a condo for 179K and the cheapest single was 199K. I just looked at homes.com and see some mobil homes pretty cheap. And I agree that supply and demand will dictate just how far they progress with development of additional terrain and base lodging.

Jully

100k Canadian in town? Wow that is a great price. If it was at all possible I'd jump on that.