• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon 12-14-16

yeggous

I met two coworkers at Cannon for a premeditated sick day. A third guy, who organized the whole thing, skipped out on our skip day claiming he was actually sick. Whatever... his loss.

I showed up at 8am for 9am first chair. I was the second car in the lot. There was fog around Plymouth on the way up, but the mountain was clear when I arrived. I got out my bluebird day goggles, but around 8:45am the clouds moved in so I had to make a quick gear change out. I was surprised how many people showed up for first chair, and I was on the second one. I took a few runs before my coworkers eventually showed up.

Cannon advertised two inches overnight so I was hoping for fresh first tracks. Instead the snow was blown into patches and to one side of the trail. There was creamy soft snow intermixed with crisp cords which made for some interesting dynamic balancing. I was convinced I had brought the wrong skis (Nordica NRGY 100) and thought about heading back to my truck to swap out for something narrower. Around 10am it started to snow steadily. Powder day!

I spent the second half of the morning with my coworkers in Tuckerbrook. One of them was an intermediate intimidated by the now pervasive ungroomed snow, and the other was only on his second day out on skis. I gave the beginner lesson for a few runs before lunch. Around 11:30am water started to pond at the bottom of the Tuckerbrook lift. The water level kept rising to the point when your skis skimmed across the ponding water when boarding the lift. The result was a solid glaze on the bottom of the skis that prompted a lunch break. Around noon they shut down the Tuckerbrook quad due to the rising flood and ran the Brookside chair instead.

After lunch we sent the beginner off to the Brookside chair. After a few runs with my coworker, it became clear that there were no friends on a powder day. By this point every surface on the mountain was buttery soft. I blew him off and went to ski up the mountain. Everything skied fantastic. By the end of the day it got a little scratchy on the main groomer choke points, but it wasn't bad at all. The vast majority of the mountain remained soft.

Upper Hardscrabble was great. Middle Hardscrabble was a bit thin but skiable. Red Ball had one required water crossing. Gary's, Rocket, and Zoomer were beautiful powder runs. Avalanche, Paulie's, and Extension were powder over whales which was a blast.

The new snowmaking system at Cannon is really impressive. I was blown away by the amount of terrain they already have buried with manmade. Today I cheated on Wildcat a bit, and I have to admit that I'm in love. They are presenting a compelling option for next year.

IMG_1102.jpg
IMG_1103.jpg
IMG_1108.jpg
IMG_1106.jpg
IMG_1105.jpg

deadheadskier

Staff member
Nice score. You should share this trip report with Brian at Wildcat.

Cannon is fantastic. Arguably better terrain than Wildcat. It lacks the big vertical skiing off a fast lift, but it's a compelling alternative I wrestle with every year. If Wildcat finished the job by completing pipe and gun replacement on all snowmaking terrain and expanding the pond, the lure of Cannon would be less.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

yeggous

Nice score. You should share this trip report with Brian at Wildcat.

Cannon is fantastic. Arguably better terrain than Wildcat. It lacks the big vertical skiing off a fast lift, but it's a compelling alternative I wrestle with every year. If Wildcat finished the job by completing pipe and gun replacement on all snowmaking terrain and expanding the pond, the lure of Cannon would be less.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Yeah, the missing piece at Cannon is the fast lift to the top. The main boulevards there tend to get skied off pretty badly too. The other thing in Wildcat's favor is price. The Super Pass is significantly more money, and even their food and beverage prices are higher. I use Crotched fairly regularly including night skiing, so going to the Super Pass would also involve picking up a night skiing pass elsewhere further increasing the price. It is still tempting though.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Yeah, the missing piece at Cannon is the fast lift to the top. The main boulevards there tend to get skied off pretty badly too. The other thing in Wildcat's favor is price. The Super Pass is significantly more money, and even their food and beverage prices are higher. I use Crotched fairly regularly including night skiing, so going to the Super Pass would also involve picking up a night skiing pass elsewhere further increasing the price. It is still tempting though.

All similar factors I wrestle with.

The NH resident Cannon pass is a steal for me, but I require the more local option that Crotched provides on the Peaks pass. Night skiing doesn't factor much into my decision, though it would if my typical work schedule allowed participation in a night racing league.

dlague

I have to admit we love our two seasons with passes at Cannon. I liked the vibe there on the mountain and on the trails. Really happy for you all that are having fun skiing there this year.

Even with the shitty season last year we had fun.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
I met two coworkers at Cannon for a premeditated sick day. A third guy, who organized the whole thing, skipped out on our skip day claiming he was actually sick. Whatever... his loss.
The first time I read this I thought it said premediCATED :lol:

I spent the second half of the morning with my coworkers in Tuckerbrook. One of them was an intermediate intimidated by the now pervasive ungroomed snow, and the other was only on his second day out on skis. I gave the beginner lesson for a few runs before lunch.
You're a good man Charlie Brown

Around 11:30am water started to pond at the bottom of the Tuckerbrook lift. The water level kept rising to the point when your skis skimmed across the ponding water when boarding the lift. The result was a solid glaze on the bottom of the skis that prompted a lunch break. Around noon they shut down the Tuckerbrook quad due to the rising flood and ran the Brookside chair instead.
What was the cause? This seems bizarre considering it was snowing.:???:

After lunch we sent the beginner off to the Brookside chair. After a few runs with my coworker, it became clear that there were no friends on a powder day.
Reminds me of the time I skied with friends at Pat's. After lunch there was no where to go. You lasted a lot longer than I would have skiing at Cannon.

SkiRay

I see you have the Head Monster 88.. What do you think of that ski? I have been eyeing that and the NRGY90's.

So great that you get to ski on a weekday - out of the crowded weekends. We hope to hit Canon this winter.

yeggous

I see you have the Head Monster 88.. What do you think of that ski? I have been eyeing that and the NRGY90's.

So great that you get to ski on a weekday - out of the crowded weekends. We hope to hit Canon this winter.

The Monster 88 demands speed and good technique. They are heavy, stiff, and damp. But if you're looking break the sound barrier on groomers these will do the job. Their heft is also useful in busting up light powder piles, though width and a lack of any real early-rise limits float.

If you're looking for a nimble, playful, or finesse ski then they are not for you. They would not make a great one-ski quiver. I have yet to take them into the bumps, but I suspect they'd be less than great. On the other hand, carving along soft snowmaking whales is a blast.

I have not skied the NRGY 90, but I love my NRGY 100. They a much more versatile than the NRGY 100, but they still demand some skill. I strongly prefer the more balanced flex too. Still plenty stiff but more accessible for sub-sonic speeds. They really shine on any kind of remotely soft snow. If you know how to get a 100mm ski on edge, then you'll be able to dance on them. You can ski the NRGY 100 on hardpack and it will hold fine, but I have better options for those days.

I only get to ski midweek when I get "sick", take vacation, or go at night. For example, today I took a half day. I also have decent flexibility in playing hookie without taking time off on Friday afternoons. I work for a European company so basically nothing happens then.

What was the cause? This seems bizarre considering it was snowing.:???:

I assume the water was coming from a snowmaking leak. They did have a one gun running over on Brookside.