• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Magic 1/12 - Spring Skiing

Tin

Went up to Magic today to enjoy some spring-like turns. A fantastic day to be out, the rain held off for the most part. Was cool to see the radar and a hole around Magic while most of southern VT was getting really wet. The East Side trails are in great shape. The groomers at Magic have some real character with dips, rolls, etc. Four days skiing this week, two in northern VT, and Magic definitely had the best trail conditions.

Charging down Trick was fantastic and we repeated it about a half dozen times. Soft whales and man made to be found on Wand. Mystery had some fun thin, ungroomed conditions with scattered bumps and a few exposed ice falls to hop that made it a great challenge. The wings at BLT were a great way to finish the day!

Hats off to the new team, Do Work, and Jamaicaman!

magic1.jpg

magic2.jpg

SkiRay

We have been wanting to hit this mountain for a LONG time - I might ski it with the kids since my better half might be out of commission...

Tin

Waiting for the snow to head up there.. not a great January for natural snow dependent SoVT so far

Lower elevations of NVT too as evidenced by MRG closing up for the weekend. Aside from the 8-10" Magic and SVT received 12/30, everything in VT has been an elevation based mixture (the early November and December systems) or upslope. Burlington, VT is now almost two years without a winter storm warning.

Tin

We have been wanting to hit this mountain for a LONG time - I might ski it with the kids since my better half might be out of commission...

So sorry to hear about the wife's injury, hoping for a speedy recovery!

It is fantastic and affordable option during busy/holiday weekends as the crowds are not nearly as bad. All the trails have a ton of character and the advanced/technical terrain is by far the best of anything south of Mad River Valley. Definitely get there. If you ever want to teach the kiddos how to play "hookie" from school they have a carpool special on Fridays.

Last edited:

bdfreetuna

Lower elevations of NVT too as evidenced by MRG closing up for the weekend. Aside from the 8-10" Magic and SVT received 12/30, everything in VT has been an elevation based mixture (the early November and December systems) or upslope. Burlington, VT is now almost two years without a winter storm warning.

Sugarbush wasn't doing as well as Bolton from what I saw a couple weekends ago. Burke seems to be doing better as well. Jay and Stowe seem to be the bulleye so far for VT so I'm probably gonna ski those.. once things soften up... and wait for the snow to hit other areas.

Tin

Jay and Stowe seem to be the bulleye so far for VT so I'm probably gonna ski those.. once things soften up... and wait for the snow to hit other areas.

Bolton, you're killing me. It is on my Magic pass so I get three days there. I'm so tempted but it really seems like a Berkshire East with snow and some more ledges. Although the sidecountry videos were incredible.

Jay Monday was interesting and showed how trail orientation mattered. Some things like Everglade, Staircase, Vertigo, and the typical trails like Can Am and Quai were fun but very thin surprisingly. Staircase and Vertigo had some real ski grabbers sticking out. Whereas Canyonland and Kitz had received all the blow over and the base was so high I had to keep low to not keep getting hit by branches. Should be great when you go....you know... as long as it is a weekend lol.

bdfreetuna

That you're even considering not using those free Bolton days is mind blowing to me. I'll probably be up there one of the days Presidents Day weekend. Good time to go when most other deals are blacked out, the mountain should be 100% if the weather cooperates, and Bolton Valley never has a crowd.

xwhaler

That you're even considering not using those free Bolton days is mind blowing to me. I'll probably be up there one of the days Presidents Day weekend. Good time to go when most other deals are blacked out, the mountain should be 100% if the weather cooperates, and Bolton Valley never has a crowd.
Well said. Bolton is a great hill and a nice place to avoid vaca crowds for sure.

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

Tin

Good thinking. I'm generally a midweek person so it is hard to drive by other places, it makes sense then though.