• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stratton 1/21/2017

Glenn

Picked up the skis after being tuned and hit the slopes for the first time in awhile. We stayed mostly on the Sunbowl side of the mountain and did a pretty good job of avoiding the crowds. There was a slight wait at Ursa, but that was about it. Kiddererbrook skied well. Snow was soft and a little sticky in spots. A few thin spots on Lower Kidderbrook. Blackbear skied well, a little ice on the pitch you had to watch. Conditions weren't bad considering. Visibility was tough at the top and it was windy. But with the warmer temps, at least it wasn't sub zero. We skied with a 79 year old woman my wife knows through work. She and her husband were kind enough to let us boot up at their condo which was slopeside. What good skier! I hope to still be out there when I'm her age.

On another note, people need to slow down. I saw a lot of people skiing beyond their ability yesterday.

drjeff

Picked up the skis after being tuned and hit the slopes for the first time in awhile. We stayed mostly on the Sunbowl side of the mountain and did a pretty good job of avoiding the crowds. There was a slight wait at Ursa, but that was about it. Kiddererbrook skied well. Snow was soft and a little sticky in spots. A few thin spots on Lower Kidderbrook. Blackbear skied well, a little ice on the pitch you had to watch. Conditions weren't bad considering. Visibility was tough at the top and it was windy. But with the warmer temps, at least it wasn't sub zero. We skied with a 79 year old woman my wife knows through work. She and her husband were kind enough to let us boot up at their condo which was slopeside. What good skier! I hope to still be out there when I'm her age.

On another note, people need to slow down. I saw a lot of people skiing beyond their ability yesterday.
Awesome story!!

I agree with people needing to slow down and ski/ride within their abilities!!

About 10 miles South of you yesterday, I was planning on taking a run down Ripcord about lunchtime. I got to the top of the headwall and there was a group of about 10 teenage looking kids, all on rental equipment, most in either jeans or sweatpants, who pretty obviously shouldn't of been on that trail!!! I made the decision to bail out on Second Thoughts out of concern for my own potential safety should one, or more, of them loose it on the headwall behind me and slide into me, as I've had happen to me before there!

Whether it's actual or just my own perception these days, it does seem like the overall level of on hill awareness of safely skiing around people or on appropriate terrain for ones ability, has decreased :-(

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

Last edited:

Glenn

Smart move drjeff. Maybe it's me getting older, but it just seems there are more people out there going for glory. I don't want to be the one to slow down their tumble down the mountain.

NY,
Was that wind hold Sunday?

NYDB

The windhold on snowbowl was sat 1/21. It was running about 30 minutes in the am. By the time I made the run down it was closed. When that lift gets closed on the weekend It really sucks.
Everything was running sunday until they realized no one was there about midday.

4aprice

Thanks for the report Glenn. Next weekend is our weekend at Stratton. Staying at the Black Bear. Any suggestions as to apres ski and dining in the village?

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Glenn

Alex,
Have fun!

We've kept it pretty simple there. We usually go to Grizzly's in the base lodge or Mulligans in the Village. We've been meaning to try the Fire Tower restaurant, but just haven't gotten around to it.