• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Loon 3/12

SnoDevil97

Extreme cold day, but bundled up & was fine. No pics since too cold for iPhone to function & no desire to have bare hands outside.

Nonetheless, conditions throughout the mountain were fantastic. Broad snowmaking efforts & TLC grooming were evident, as all cruisers skied fast & fun.

Hit North Peak & Walking Boss in am as I usually try to. Very windy but still in OK shape. Lapped the North chair for a bit but simply too cold due to the wind. Skied the middle section till lunch on perfect fast groomers.

Small crowd as was expected, ski on all day. Gondola on wind hold till noon-ish, still no line in afternoon.

Hit South Peak in afternoon, skied great as it had been refreshed with snowmaking on Friday. Heard from regulars that it was a horror show up till last Thurs & was like night & day since then. Bearable temps as sun hit the slopes there.

Finished up with a few laps of Picked Rock & Rumeunner (slopes of the day IMO, just lovely for a cruise) on totally empty slope except for me & my kids.

Surprisingly good day due to low crowds, excellent snow. Glad I decided to head out.

Last edited:

chuckstah

Thanks for the report. Friends there gave a surprisingly good update as well. However everything has been flattened. Today and Wednesday on Dipper.
8e1109ad81f165bb4cbe1a1e4453e78a.jpg

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app

SnoDevil97

We rode that today - no idea it was bumped up a few days ago. Oh well take the good with the bad - overall from most accounts Loon is far better today than it was mid last week.

That said, Loon should be great after the next dump, provided they groom the right slopes & leave others alone!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Thanks for the report. Friends there gave a surprisingly good update as well. However everything has been flattened. Today and Wednesday on Dipper.
8e1109ad81f165bb4cbe1a1e4453e78a.jpg

I wonder why they groomed it? There was talk of this storm last week. This time of year they should just leave the bumps alone anyways as chances are a warm day is just around the corner.

4aprice

I wonder why they groomed it? There was talk of this storm last week. This time of year they should just leave the bumps alone anyways as chances are a warm day is just around the corner.

Was there this weekend. Saturday the bumps were there but really not skiable. They flattened them Saturday night probably in preparation for the up coming storm. I really don' t blame them. If they get the 8-16 they were talking about I'm sure those bumps will grow again and the surface below will be much better on Triple Trouble and Dipper. All their snow making terrain was in excellent shape and while I'm a huge bump fan it was a great weekend for "cruising groomers" especially with the gondola closed most of the time, the T2B runs were all ours. Withstanding the cold was the most difficult thing especially Saturday which was the coldest skiing I have done in 20-30 years.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

chuckstah

4aprice nailed it. This was the second groom of the season, both before projected big snow. While the bumps skied well last Wednesday on a spring surface, the base was uneven, and although I personally wish they weren't touched, the bumps will reform and last longer into spring with a consistent base.
We rode that today - no idea it was bumped up a few days ago. Oh well take the good with the bad - overall from most accounts Loon is far better today than it was mid last week.

That said, Loon should be great after the next dump, provided they groom the right slopes & leave others alone!

4aprice

The storm playing out as it is, the rumor of Loon's bump demise seems to be greatly exaggerated. I'm sure by the weekend a fresh crop will be sprouting.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ