• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

NWS 2016 / 2017 Winter forecast!

BenedictGomez

I'm looking at the webcam at Platty, and you can only see maybe the top 7" or so of the fence. I'd say they must have a good 2' by now.

JimG.

Staff member
VT and NH getting shafted right now. Maine is getting the goods. The Catskills are STILL getting hammered. Can someone dig-out Belleayre and tell me if it's still there for tomorrow?! :p

Debating between Belle and Platty tomorrow.

Will probably go to Belle only because I have the NYS 3 in 1 pass.

Will Platty be open this coming Friday?

BenedictGomez

According to an email I got a few days ago they were going to Sat Sun only.

Weird. I bet that's because of the snowmelt devastation, which is obviously off the table now. They'll be 100% open tomorrow. You really should go there instead of Bellayre; I think you'll regret it if you dont.

JimG.

Staff member
Weird. I bet that's because of the snowmelt devastation, which is obviously off the table now. They'll be 100% open tomorrow. You really should go there instead of Bellayre; I think you'll regret it if you dont.

The snowmelt scenario makes sense, clearly off the table now.

Not sure I agree about where to go tomorrow; trees both inbounds at Belle and across the ridge at Highmount will be going off! I know those tree areas well but I don't know the best tree areas at Platty (one of these days I hope to convince a Platty regular to show me around). Plus no cash to ski tomorrow with the NYS 3 in 1 at Belle.

Having trouble deciding where the best powder will be on a Wednesday after the epic Feb meltdown seemed to ruin winter seems like a pretty good problem to have right now. Stoked!

Last edited:

Jully

VT and NH getting shafted right now. Maine is getting the goods. The Catskills are STILL getting hammered. Can someone dig-out Belleayre and tell me if it's still there for tomorrow?! :p

NH is getting shafted? It was coming down pretty hard in southern NH as of 6:30 and showed no signs of letting up.

snoseek

It nuked all day at the cat and is nuking down in town...what is this shaft you speak of?

BenedictGomez

Whiteface just reported 22" at the base (not the summit, the base mind you) and it's going to snow for many more hours.

I think this weekend's going to be pretty great!

BenedictGomez

Whiteface just updated again, 33" and still snowing. If the person taking the measurements is correct, they must be under absurdly intense banding to be putting down 5" per hour.

I dont think I've ever personally witnessed snowfall at that rate. Last year when we got 36" in my backyard it topped out at 3" per hour, and that was nuts enough.

Tin

Magic with a drifty 20". Amazing day to earn turns.

As a sacrifice to Ullr for more I belly flopped naked into a 4' drift tonight. You're all welcome.

Remember a couple days ago when "the AccuWeather met" said the models were all going east loooooooool

BenedictGomez

Remember a couple days ago when "the AccuWeather met" said the models were all going east loooooooool

AccuWeather will say whatever is necessary to make any weather event seem like it's impactful for the coast, which is not coincidentally where a majority of the population lives.

Tin

AccuWeather will say whatever is necessary to make any weather event seem like it's impactful for the coast, which is not coincidentally where a majority of the population lives.

Exact opposite. That came after the 12z euro went way SE of the benchmark and had little to no effect in ski country or the metro areas.

Interesting how well the NAM and Ukie did best with track and they were still not far enough west. GFS runs 4-5 days ago were close then it lost its marbles. Euro is just way way too amped this year.

benski

About 3 feet in Binghamton and the lower levels are really dence. I spent 25 minutes clearing out my car before my friend told me know to Platte. The snow is also dry.

Cornhead

About 3 feet in Binghamton and the lower levels are really dence.
Must've been compressed by the weight of the snow above, I could've shoveled the 8" off my driveway with a leaf blower at 6 AM. The antithesis of heart attack snow. Even the snow plowed into the end from the plows plowing the street was easy, it's usually a back breaker.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using AlpineZone mobile app

Tin

No model did well with the track, in reality there was only versions of "less worse".

Within 36 hours both the NAM,Ukie, and RGEM had the west trend and tainted NYC, CT, and the 95. Both were very close to the actual low track. What no model got was the pivot of banding that crushed to Binghamton into the Dacks and the midlevel warmth that plagued Boston and 95 area so it was a sleet fest instead of snow.