• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mounting a Binding location.

adkron

Hi,
I recently purchased a pair of Wreckcreate 100 Skis. I plan to mount a Marker Griffon binding on them. I do not know where to put the center line of my boot for mounting. The skis do have lines on them for mounting. Do I put the boot center on the line called Sweet Spot for standard mounting? My boot length is 348 mm.
Thanks for your help,
adkron

Hawkshot99

Sounds like you have never mounted/drilled a ski before. Yes the center line on the boot needs to line up with the sweet spot line.
Good luck getting all the holes drilled in the right spots and straight...

Sent from my SM-G930F using AlpineZone mobile app

Glenn

Have a shop do it. It'll pay of in dividends to have them mounted and adjusted correctly. Don't skimp in this case.

Hawkshot99

Found templates online. Caution still required.
I have free mounted skis with no jig before with no jig/template. But they were bindings that the heal came attached to the track, not require mounting the track then sliding on the heal.
I have never looked online for paper jigs as I have access to the real ones. I do use the paper jigs for touring bindings but they only mount in exact spots. The jig like a Griffin has a big slide based off the sole length. How would a paper jig work for that?
And that's not even getting into proper drill bits....3.5x9mm by the way.

56fish

Website
www.borderskirental.com
I have free mounted skis with no jig before with no jig/template. But they were bindings that the heal came attached to the track, not require mounting the track then sliding on the heal.
I have never looked online for paper jigs as I have access to the real ones. I do use the paper jigs for touring bindings but they only mount in exact spots. The jig like a Griffin has a big slide based off the sole length. How would a paper jig work for that?
And that's not even getting into proper drill bits....3.5x9mm by the way.

http://www.bindingfreedom.com/paper-tempaltes/
http://www.slidewright.com/paper-ski-binding-templates/

Printer scaling important. Proper bits w/stops. Unless you love diy....shop mount worth the $.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com

Printer scaling important. Proper bits w/stops. Unless you love diy....shop mount worth the $.

Pretty sure Hawkshot owns a shop. I used to work in a shop in the early 80's ...Been a while but if we would get a pair of skis that didn't have markings we would use a rule of thumb . Measure snow contact length divide in half and put the ball of the foot would go on that spot.

56fish

Website
www.borderskirental.com
Pretty sure Hawkshot owns a shop. I used to work in a shop in the early 80's ...

Me, too. Owner since '90-'08, '15-?:beer:; in a shop somewhere - '76:beer::beer:. Always backroom. Used one of the Griffin templates last season. Biggest worry, printer output vs real thing. Time-consuming work to be comfortable with result.

Measure snow contact length divide in half and put the ball of the foot would go on that spot.

Used that a lot...starting in '76...mannequin-waisted skis only went in 1 direction, pretty much on piste/ground :)

adkron

Sounds like you have never mounted/drilled a ski before. Yes the center line on the boot needs to line up with the sweet spot line.
Good luck getting all the holes drilled in the right spots and straight...

Thanks, actually I have been mounting my own bindings for 50 years. I have a Marker jig and drill bits designed for mounting bindings. I asked EVO where to put the binding and the rep. did not know which surprised me. I also emailed Lib and they have not answered my letter. There are lines before and after the sweet spot line. Compared to my other skis that have a boot center line. The sweet spot line looks pretty forward. My skiing buddy is a PSIA instructor and does his own mountain also. He told me about the Wreckcreate 100 and is going to order a pair for himself.
Thanks again,
adkron

56fish

Website
www.borderskirental.com
Surprised someone at Lib hasn’t replied. The Ramp skis I mounted w the Griffons had clear explanation of multiple mount lines re usage - customer told me where they wanted them. To ramble-on.....sweet spot = neutral/one ski quiver; forward - freestyle/ride oriented; back - float oriented. If me - I’d call Lib.

djd66

So whats the deal with these skis? Anybody ski on the skis with a serrated edge?

Hawkshot99

Wow that is ALOT of work, and hoping you have everything 100%. Im much rather using the proper jigs!
LIke I posted before, I dont enjoy, but dont mind mounting up connected heal/toe touring setups like the Duke/F12 since they come with the factory paper template that is 100% scaled and no adjusting for boot length.

Thanks for those links though. Good to have the option just in case for the right binding.

Pretty sure Hawkshot owns a shop.
Do not own, but have many years of management, and more overall. have mounted/adjusted many thousands of setups over the years, at least 100+ in the past 2 weeks.

Thanks, actually I have been mounting my own bindings for 50 years. I have a Marker jig and drill bits designed for mounting bindings. I asked EVO where to put the binding and the rep. did not know which surprised me. I also emailed Lib and they have not answered my letter. There are lines before and after the sweet spot line. Compared to my other skis that have a boot center line. The sweet spot line looks pretty forward. My skiing buddy is a PSIA instructor and does his own mountain also. He told me about the Wreckcreate 100 and is going to order a pair for himself.
Thanks again,
adkron
The "sweet spot" is basically the factory recommended mount location. The lines forward and backward from that are alternative mounting spots. These are much more popular on all mtn twin tips, but they do exist on others.
Typically mounting backward will benefit for powder skiing to move your weight back and keep tips up. Moving forward a tad quicker turning, or if a twin tip equaling out the forward/rear length for skiing switch.

I personally mount all of my skis with multiple mounting locations at the factory mount location. After all the engineers who designed the skis have a lot more testing into the skis for proper location vs. me thinking I know better.

Hawkshot99

So whats the deal with these skis? Anybody ski on the skis with a serrated edge?
The design has been around a while in the snowboard world. Anything from Mervin Manufacturing GNU, Lib-Tech, and previously Rossi use a "serrated edge". Basically it gives you more points of contact on a board rather than just your 2 contact points just outside the feet. Also works well for park riders who like to round off their edges for rail slides so they can still have some edge bite, but not catch their edges on rails.
I have never used or spoken to anyone who has used a Lib Tech ski to get their opinion.