• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wildcat 2017/18 thread

Edd

I assumed someone had started this thread but damned if I can find it. Haven’t skied the Cat yet this year but it’s still my unofficial home mountain. A friend was driving by on the way to SR a couple of weeks ago and noticed a sign for this place coming next year .

http://theolympiacompanies.com/properties/the-glen-house/

I had no idea this was happening. It seems to me this could be good for the Cat in the coming seasons. Here’s hoping.

Last edited:

SIKSKIER

That is great news for Wildcat skiers.That property would only be a couple miles away and much needed close lodging where none exists now.

Jully

I wonder what the cost per night will be. Definitely something to keep an eye on!

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm guessing pretty expensive. It's small, but is supposed to have a spa and indoor pool. Can't beat the location. It's right at the base of the Auto road

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Jully

I'm guessing pretty expensive. It's small, but is supposed to have a spa and indoor pool. Can't beat the location. It's right at the base of the Auto road

Ohh, that is where this is! I saw this under construction and was confused as to what it was. Exciting stuff. Definitely can't beat the location. I likely will never stay there though haha.

podunk77

It would definitely be the closest hotel to Wildcat, though if you're okay with fairly basic and inexpensive lodging, Gorham has a few options and it's only 10-12 miles north of Wildcat. Also has some basic restaurants (pizza/Chinese) and a Walmart.

deadheadskier

Staff member
It would definitely be the closest hotel to Wildcat, though if you're okay with fairly basic and inexpensive lodging, Gorham has a few options and it's only 10-12 miles north of Wildcat. Also has some basic restaurants (pizza/Chinese) and a Walmart.
I'll be staying at the Town and Country next Tuesday. Unfortunately it will be for work, not skiing. I maybe able to sneak in a couple of hours at Cat on Tuesday afternoon

Atomic

Well I guess I have the honor of making my virgin post here the first post of the year about conditions on the mountain - skied last Sunday and it was killer, at least as killer as early season/all man-made can get. Kind of strange looking at nothing but grass and rocks on the way up on the Express but the TTB options of Polecat/Lynx were great. Big bulletproof base, nice "powder piles" all the way down and very little ice. Fast, mostly sunny and ski-on lift all day - Rockpile/Sherby across the way looked white but thin ...nice appetizer for the season.

snoseek

Will be watching this thread from afar. I had such good times skiing the cat last season! Post tons of pics when everything is on!

jack97

I was there last week, 12/2. Lots was not filled but maybe 3-4 rows to entrance. The place was crowded with race and ski school, racks was filled during lunch. I could see cars coming in to pick up kids during afternoon, so the place along with sister mtn must be getting high volume from these programs.

As for conditions, not bad, trails held up and they left some ungroom in the usual spots where the man made spills over. The natural trails have no cover. If you venture over to the ungroom, the snow is hard and windblown and maybe iced given the non crystalline stuff they had mid week. So bring the sharp skis....

kskis20

I️ think I️ asked this same question last year but does anyone know how to access the brook between Attitash and Bear peak. I’ve always thought there had to be secret runs through there but never could find it until last year when I️ stumbled across this video did it confirm its existence.

https://youtu.be/1nmmB-LZNKY

I’m not trying to steal anyone’s secret stash and totally get is as I️ too am very sensitive of the info regarding my favorite hidden lines at the cat, but from the looks of this video this run isn’t gonna have it’s snow stripped anytime soon.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

kskis20

If u know the entrance but don’t want to put it out there on the internet, send me a private message and maybe I’ll return the favor on 1 of my favorite zones ;)

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Edd

Just reviving this thread to highlight that Wildcat is 100% open on April 20th. Hoping to hit it Sunday. I only have a weekday pass there so this may be the first lift ticket I buy all year.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

jmarble

Was there last weekend. Saturday was as bad as it gets but the snow report told a different story. Even upper wildcat was closed on Sunday so they must have picked up some pretty good snow while closed Mon and Tues to have everything open now. Would love to hear a first hand report as their snow report is pure marketing.

Jamescolin16

Long time lurker first time poster! Was at Wildcat today and the 100% claim is pretty legitimate. The only thing with a rope was the steep pitch of Starr Line. Feline, Al's Folly, Black Cat all skied really well. Lift Lion and Top Cat had a good base but were wind scoured ice, horrible but technically doable and will be better once the temps warm up. Upper Wildcat was wind scoured as well in places but still really fun and had some great lines on the pitch below Cat Cutoff. Wildcat Pitch/Lower Wildcat was great. Midway/Cougar/Catenary/Panther/Chutes/Sphynx were the places to be, great bump lines. Hairball was open but not particularly fun, there were lots of stumps and shrubbery poking through to contend with at the bottom and the cliffs at the top were wind blown and didn't have many good options. Tomcat Schuss was disappointingly thin with no good bump lines. Glades are mostly still good with lots of snow blowing into the woods on top of a firm but edgeable base. Elevator Shaft (from Catapult down to Alley Cat, below that there's open water), Tiger Woods, Polecat woods, S-Turns, and the woods off Tomcat Schuss are all deep. There were very few to no obstacles in the bump troughs anywhere on the mountain today and no skiing over ice flows on Al's Folly which tells you how good the coverage was. The lower part of the mountain did soften up by the end of the day, from the top of Panther or so down. The weekend, especially Sunday, should be awesome.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Great to hear. I'd like to see new snowmaking equipment for Tomcat Schuss some day just to get a base down for the start of the year. Even during great snow years, it's wide and catches wind just right out of the Southwest such that the base is always a bit thin. All that snow ends up skiers right woods though, which often sees little traffic.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

bdfreetuna

I just feel good knowing when I move to NH I'll have another full-on late season option. Haven't skied Wildcat since being a kid, really no memory of it. Seen it summertime from a lot of hikes. Looks like y'all's Jay Peak type situation up there.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Jay Peak is a resort. Wildcat is anything but. Wildcat is about the skiing and nothing else. The closet VT comparison I could make to Wildcat would probably be MT Ellen. Big vertical, serviced by a fast lift, just enough snowmaking, they only groom about half the terrain and crowding is minimal.

Out of curiosity, why the move to NH? It doesn't sound like you have many family ties to the region or have spent much time up here. I love living here, but the initial draw was proximity to my wife's family for our children's benefit and also being close to Boston for professional reasons.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

jmarble

@Jamescolin16 - Thanks for the report, great first post. Would love to get back up there tomorrow but kids have lacrosse :(
Got my Peaks pass, psyched for next season.