• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

ikon pass details released

boston_e

I feel like theirs something in the works for Okemo. Epic, MC Ikon? Your guys guess is as good as mine. I hope Ikon

Adding Okemo might actually tip the scales for me with Ikon. Not that i Love Okemo so much... just that it is a place I could easily use a few of the days.

abc

“Altitude sickness” in Park City! Classic!!!

16 posts. We haven’t seen nothing yet, of narrow-minded views.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Powdr owns Snowbird which is on the Mountain Collective and Ikon so I guess not. Same with Sugarbush, Alta and Jackson Hole

Powdr DOES NOT own Snowbird. Ian Cumming made it clear that they are separate and distinct entities. Now that Ian is dead word has it that his other son is running Snowbird. John has pretty much been left out because of what happened at Park city.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

benski

Teleskier must be one of those people you see on twitter making controversy over nothing.

Teleskier

“Altitude sickness” in Park City! Classic!!!

The quote I was addressing said he felt bad coming home from skiing out "West". FYI: West includes places outside PC.

Feel free to point out where I said PC had altitude. (I didn't). Telluride is west had altitude, which is what I was thinking of, and where I did experience that for the first time in my life (as random luck of the draw).

Feel free to disagree and refute my homecoming feeling if you instead agree with the view that eastern skiing 'sucks'.

abc

Feel free to disagree and refute my homecoming feeling if you instead agree with the view that eastern skiing 'sucks'.
Yeah, right, Cheese!!! :roll:

What's next? Broccoli??? How about avocado???

Tell you what? Steaks in the east sucks! There's no bison burger. But hey, you love your sushi I'm sure.

But hey, the more of those like you stays home, the more space on the plane for those of us going out west. I'm not complaining.

djd66

The quote I was addressing said he felt bad coming home from skiing out "West". FYI: West includes places outside PC.

Feel free to point out where I said PC had altitude. (I didn't). Telluride is west had altitude, which is what I was thinking of, and where I did experience that for the first time in my life (as random luck of the draw).

+1 ,... you asked - yes eastern skiing does suck - especially this season. Sorry dude, I can't figure out if you are trolling or what? Did you get hit in the head by one of your tele skis?
I ski in the east because I live here. If I could drive to Colorado in 3 hours I would never ski VT again.
Snow, terrain, lodges and the food win In the west.

Zermatt

I think there is a huge amount of people out there that think they only get 5 days total with the Ikon Base. Not 5 days per resort (or group of resorts).

thetrailboss

Staff member
Deer Valley just released pass prices. In addition to IKON, their pass prices are all still over $2,000 per adult.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Just brought the Ikon for myself, the wife, and my son. I can get why some people are disappointed, but for my specific situation, it's still a good fit. Sucks about the blackouts though.

Zermatt

Just brought the Ikon for myself, the wife, and my son. I can get why some people are disappointed, but for my specific situation, it's still a good fit. Sucks about the blackouts though.

We will ultimately buy the Ikon as well, wife and two kids. It's not perfect but also a good fit. I'll pull the trigger right before the kids' pass price increases.

Will hit Killington and Sugarbush 5 times each, and possibly some day trips to Stratton. Then at least one 5 day trip out west and possibly a second in April. The weekend before Christmas is not blacked out, if the snow is good we will ski that long weekend.

Might supplement with a few Pico 3 packs for MLK weekend. Or skip it, plenty of good weekends to ski that don't involve every other skier in the northeast.

Did you have to pay sales tax on the Ikon?

WJenness

I'm coming around on the Ikon.

I had a great day on Sunday at Stratton, met some new people, skied some new (to me) stuff...

I think I'm convincing myself to go with the Ikon base for next year... If I can figure out how to do a Western long weekend somewhere, I think I'll be happy with it.

Biggest disappointment for me is that the closest mountain is two hours from my door, but my other thought was to go with a Boyne NE Silver, and that doesn't change that... It's still 2 hours to Loon either way.

Killingtime

After the initial shock of losing many northeast Max Pass resorts, I'm coming around too and will pull the trigger on the Base Pass shortly. I will miss Gore but a weekend trip to Sugarbush will make up for it. The big question is where to do my yearly out west trip. I'll ponder that over some beers around 4th of July.

boston_e

I'm coming around on the Ikon.

I had a great day on Sunday at Stratton, met some new people, skied some new (to me) stuff...

I think I'm convincing myself to go with the Ikon base for next year... If I can figure out how to do a Western long weekend somewhere, I think I'll be happy with it.

Biggest disappointment for me is that the closest mountain is two hours from my door, but my other thought was to go with a Boyne NE Silver, and that doesn't change that... It's still 2 hours to Loon either way.

While I do think the Ikon is much worse than the Max, I'm trying to decide if I can justify it. Killington/Pico is my home mountain so we will buy that season pass, but trying to decide if we plan on a western trip next year and if so, do we wan to commit to one of the western options on the ikon. The base pass would be easier to justify, but with kids and having to travel over school break it kind of makes the blackout dates not viable.

Most likely they are not getting my business.

Last edited:

Teleskier

+1 ,... you asked - yes eastern skiing does suck - especially this season. I ski in the east because I live here. If I could drive to Colorado in 3 hours I would never ski VT again.
Snow, terrain, lodges and the food win In the west.

You're entitled to that view (disdain for skiing here). And you'd find a lot of company out west to agree with you.

I ski here because I truly like it here - not because I'm forced to. I might feel that way if I lived south of here (say, Hunter, but I've never been there so I don't know).

To me there is something special about New England skiing, in all its various forms. From XC to backcountry to lift-service. When I climb and ski Tucks - or tele MRG - it is almost spiritual.

I don't say it's the best in the world (like the fake boast on the $28 Park City hamburger), but it does have its good, and even unique, attributes that makes it hugely enjoyable (to me).

Anyway, back to the pass discussion...

I'm also at a loss for what I'm going to to do for next year.

In this first and only year with it, the western component of the EPIC pass hasn't panned out for me with being the value I'd thought it might be. I'm 0 for 2 in truly enjoying my two pricey western trips on EPIC so far. To date, I have never "not enjoyed" or have regretted a ski trip in my life, so this was a bit of shock and surprise. If skiing in New England can feel spiritual, I didn't feel anything even remotely close to spiritual anywhere in Park City. Or in the daily $30 Vail parking spots either, for that matter. All corporate tourist gouging and hassle with little payback. The very opposite of spiritual New England experience.

So next year I was thinking I might focus more on local mountains again. But then again, now they just added Telluride to the EPIC mix. And I haven't tried CA yet (like I 'tried' Utah) on EPIC. I'm not sure where Aspen ended up in this shuffle, that might influence me too. Then there's the possible repeat of my former yearly visits to Whistler where I miss my crew out there, pulling me back into the EPIC camp. And I really miss skiing in Europe, it's been too long where I have that loosely earmarked for next year, but the EPIC offerings there are limited and weak (IMHO). Japan is on my wish list (was last there in fall in the mountains and could only dream of snow) but would only want the best mountains there to justify the very long plane trip (when New England and Europe are so close).

A lot of variables to sort out, with no immediate clear answer (as yet)...

Zermatt

While I do think the Ikon is much worse than the Max, I'm trying to decide if I can justify it. Killington/Pico is my home mountain so we will buy that season pass, but trying to decide if we plan on a western trip next year and if so, do we wan to commit to one of the western options on the ikon. The base pass would be easier to justify, but with kids and having to travel over school break it kind of makes the blackout dates not viable.

Most likely they are not getting my business.

Blackout dates in February are only the weekend days, not the following week or President's day itself. Not sure that matters, but it does for me. MLK I'll pass on skiing, and Christmas week out west is never a sure thing.

boston_e

Blackout dates in February are only the weekend days, not the following week or President's day itself. Not sure that matters, but it does for me. MLK I'll pass on skiing, and Christmas week out west is never a sure thing.

Thanks for the heads up. In theory we could go during the second half of school break which takes out those blackout days.

the max pass add on was a no brainer... the ikon would be borderline on justifying itself for us.

lookong at it, at least for Utah, I preferred the max pass Mountains