• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Completism

Vaughn

How many of you have skied every area in either VT or NH?

I've hit many of the big ones in NH but certainly never places like Granite Gorge or Whaleback

cdskier

If I ever win the lottery, doing this would be a top priority.

Smellytele

No both states have smaller mostly unknown ones like Mt Eustis and Arrowhead in NH. Also the one in Lincoln and others as well. Then VT has small ones as well like living Memorial, [FONT=arial,]Bellows Falls Village Area[/FONT], Cochran's and a hand full of others.

Vaughn

Here's a list for NH. I'd assess this as 20 areas if you include the Kanc rope tow in Lincoln, which I've never heard off. Doesn't have the rope tow in Littleton listed.

http://www.gondyline.com/ski_nh.php

This list might be a touch out of date given this description for the Balsams - "NOT PRESENTLY OPERATING -- TENTATIVELY SCHEDULED TO RE-OPEN FOR 2015 or 2016 SEASON"

urungus

If you really want to be a completist, you need to ski *every run* at every mountain. Also, do you have to hit all the private clubs like Hermitage, Plymouth Notch, etc ? What about Tuckerman’s ?

Jcb890

If you really want to be a completist, you need to ski *every run* at every mountain. Also, do you have to hit all the private clubs like Hermitage, Plymouth Notch, etc ? What about Tuckerman’s ?
I think if you're asking, you already know the answer is "yes". haha

Vaughn

For me, it would be every commercial mountain where you can just walk up and buy a ticket. Here's the list on that basis:

Abenaki (Wolfeboro)
Arrowhead (Claremont)
Attitash
Black Mountain
Bretton Woods
Cannon
Cranmore
Crotched Mountain
Dartmouth Skiway
Granite Gorge (Keene)
Gunstock
Kanc Rec (Lincoln)
King Pine
Loon
McIntyre (Manchester)
Pat’s Peak
Ragged
Sunapee
Waterville Valley
Whaleback (Enfield)
Wildcat

deadheadskier

Staff member
If you really want to be a completist, you need to ski *every run* at every mountain.

Lifetime challenge accepted.

I'd really like to do that. Ski every marked run in New England and photo document it.

I absolutely love the off the beaten path places. I can honestly say my favorite ski day in the past five years was at Big Rock, Maine. I've obviously had better conditions and terrain than my day at Big Rock, but there was something so pure about that experience that you just don't get at major resorts.

This might make me a New England homer, but so be it, I'd rather "collect" New England ski trail runs than visits out West.

I think it would be amazing to have a photo album / journal of every single trail you've skied in New England.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
I do in my head. Well the ones I have done.
I do too. Having resided in VT, ME and NH for most of my life, I've skied almost all the major areas. The only 1k + vert ski areas I haven't been to in those states are Bromley, Middlebury, Dartmouth, The Balsams and Black Mountain of Maine. Most other places I've skied 60-70%+ of their terrain.

If I had the time though, I'd love to do something like head to Mt Jefferson in Lee, ME after a storm like we are about to get and ski it all.

http://skimtjefferson.com/trails/

It would make for a really cool coffee table / bathroom book series. The ski trails of New England.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Boxtop Willie

Love the challenge...every trail you've skied in New England.

Here's a subset, how many of the NELSAP areas have you skied?
My list, going way back:
VT: Hinesburg, Ascutney, Fairlee, Mt Tom, Proctor, Hogback, Maple Valley, Haystack
MA: Atlantic Forest, Boston Hill, Hamilton, Methuen, Prospect

I am sooooo old.

Vaughn

I was just looking at my 'to do' list and turns out that Granite Gorge no longer offers downhill skiing, just tubing and XC.

Sad to see an area, if not close, wane, but on the plus side I don't have to go to Keene to check it out.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I was just looking at my 'to do' list and turns out that Granite Gorge no longer offers downhill skiing, just tubing and XC.

Sad to see an area, if not close, wane, but on the plus side I don't have to go to Keene to check it out.

They’ve had a lot of issues.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

ThinkSnow

Love the challenge...every trail you've skied in New England.

Here's a subset, how many of the NELSAP areas have you skied?
My list, going way back:
VT: Hinesburg, Ascutney, Fairlee, Mt Tom, Proctor, Hogback, Maple Valley, Haystack
MA: Atlantic Forest, Boston Hill, Hamilton, Methuen, Prospect

I am sooooo old.
Haystack is not NELSAP, its just unfortunate.

tumbler

Whatever happened to that guy?

EDIT: Wait, actually IIRC didnt he bail on AZ due to trolls? Which is odd, because my perception of AZ is it's about the most troll-free forum on teh internetz.

Did it have to do with the flags at Magic?

jimk

Had BillSki completed this?
Is BillSki ok? :-(

I have skied at 85 North American ski areas, and a handful more in Europe. When trying to make a list of larger North American ski areas I haven’t been to yet, I feel like I’m a long way from completeness, which is good. Even old guys don’t like to think they’ve hit the end of the line. Here are the bigger places in North America I have never been to:

WEST: Telluride, Crested Butte, Big Sky, Sun Valley, Mammoth, Mt. Hood Meadows, Purgatory/Durango, Sundance, Crystal Mtn, Bridger Bowl, Grand Targhee, Whitefish, Kicking Horse, Red Mtn, Whitewater, Castle, Fernie, Sun Peaks, Panorama
(Hoping to knock off the first three later this winter.)

EAST: Mont Tremblant, Bretton Woods, Shawnee, Bromley

And then there is Europe, South America, and New Zealand. I don’t have much interest in South America or New Zealand, but I’d love to spend a few winters traveling around the Alps – super scenic mtns and great cultures. An extended stay in the Alps is not going to happen, but I hope to get over there for a few shorter ski trips before I’m done.

Actually, the near term goal I’m shooting for the next few seasons is to ski one good place 100 times per winter.