• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Boyne purchasing the resorts they operate (Loon/River/Loaf / others)

Jully

At least in the East, they had 30 year operating Leases. Don't think this was because those leases are coming up. They had like 2 decades more on them!

Yup. Some were even 99 years I think (or maybe that is Triple Peaks for Sunapee). Defensive doesn't really apply. These moves and wishes were in play before Vail bought Stowe and WB and before Alterra even formed. I don't know what drove them to sell the resorts to the REIT to begin with, but either it didn't work out as they planned or whatever reason for selling evaporated and they now want to reown them.

Boyne actually got some cash from the Crystal buyout last year, right? Something like $60 million? That definitely helps with this acquisition.

AdironRider

From what I recall, there was some back and forth during the lift failures as to how ownership kinda screwed Boyne over on those.

This is probably to protect their asses and allow them to run better equipment, upgrade.

Plus its probably pretty smart business. I'm sure itll shake out as a win for them financially.

mbedle

Correct me if I am wrong, but how is this going to open up capital for upgrades? I would think that this is going to stick them with some large debt/loan payment. Unless the debt payments are significantly less per year than the lease payments, wouldn't it take years to see a buildup of cash to spend on upgrades/expansion?

machski

Yup. Some were even 99 years I think (or maybe that is Triple Peaks for Sunapee). Defensive doesn't really apply. These moves and wishes were in play before Vail bought Stowe and WB and before Alterra even formed. I don't know what drove them to sell the resorts to the REIT to begin with, but either it didn't work out as they planned or whatever reason for selling evaporated and they now want to reown them.

Boyne actually got some cash from the Crystal buyout last year, right? Something like $60 million? That definitely helps with this acquisition.
From what I can find, it was just a swap of shares between John and the balance of Boyne. John swapped all his Boyne shares for Crystal, so it sounds like mostly a paper move.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Jully

Correct me if I am wrong, but how is this going to open up capital for upgrades? I would think that this is going to stick them with some large debt/loan payment. Unless the debt payments are significantly less per year than the lease payments, wouldn't it take years to see a buildup of cash to spend on upgrades/expansion?

It gives them the ability to be the sole decider of what capital improvements get made. You're right that they will now have more debt and less overall money available than a $50 billion hedge fund has. However, that hedge fund (and CNL before) had zero interest in any upgrades, hence why basically none occurred.

ceo

I've been saying for ages that Sugarloaf is in dire need of major infrastructure improvements. Hopefully that'll happen soon now that they're in the hands of an outfit that looks like they're not afraid to drop some coin on capex.