• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Robert Redford Sells Sundance Resort

machski

Wonder if the planned "upgrades" include extending skiing up higher. Flown right over sundance at 14000' coming out of Heber City and landing SLC and there is a ton of sweet terrain above the current lift summit at Sundance.

thetrailboss

Staff member

Wonder if the planned "upgrades" include extending skiing up higher. Flown right over sundance at 14000' coming out of Heber City and landing SLC and there is a ton of sweet terrain above the current lift summit at Sundance.
Negative

snoseek

I've only skied one day there but it is a godamn treasure. Stuff off the tippy top along the ridgeline on the skiers right has some good sustained steep terrain and not alot of there crowd is getting after it. I hope it stays somewhat relaxed..but yeah if you could ever go higher you get into some serious mountain

thetrailboss

Staff member
Another Press Release outlining the deal:

BenedictGomez

I really like that place. Small, but quite fun. I could do Bishop's Bowl to Pipeline pretty much all day & be entertained. The Owl's Nest is hands down the coolest ski resort bar I've ever seen, and the laid-back log cabin with food & beer at the top is great too. Some of the best views you'll find from up there of Timp & the surroundings.

If I had one criticism, and this is odd, but true, it's that the place seems to be a complete magnet for over-the-top, silly, pompous, artsy, pretentious people with no self-awareness.

Pic below from April 2019.

Attachments

• Bishops Bowl.jpg
    Bishops Bowl.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 20

mbedle

I really like that place. Small, but quite fun. I could do Bishop's Bowl to Pipeline pretty much all day & be entertained. The Owl's Nest is hands down the coolest ski resort bar I've ever seen, and the laid-back log cabin with food & beer at the top is great too. Some of the best views you'll find from up there of Timp & the surroundings.

If I had one criticism, and this is odd, but true, it's that the place seems to be a complete magnet for over-the-top, silly, pompous, artsy, pretentious people with no self-awareness.

Pic below from April 2019.
OMFG - that was a good one.

jimk

I never skied Sundance, but I drove around the base of the resort in May of 2020. It's on the eastern side of Mt. Timpanogos and you can see why the views from the chairlifts and upper mtn would be especially nice.
sundance and timp may 2020.jpg

I drove into the resort after the ski season was over this May 2020. My wife and I were just snooping around by car. It was really leafy/woodsy there. They definitely went for low key development. All homes and structures are pretty well tucked into the forest around the canyon and hillsides.
This is the main base area and that is Ray's chairlift towards right.
sundance base area may 2020.jpg

abc

But isn't the very definition of "artsy" IS over-the-top?

"In arts, nothing succeeds like excess" -- Oscar Wilde

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yes, it does attract some interesting folks. And Redford intentionally went with "hiding" the facilities in the trees so that they did not overwhelm nature. There is a great section in my American Ski Resort Architecture book on Sundance and how unusual it is. The stream that runs through the base area is a major focus. This is a great book that I got at Costco of all places....I don't think it is in print anymore:

61MFv+bCm9L.jpg

dblskifanatic

So I never even looked at Sundance - seems like a smaller western resort with some good terrain in Bishop's Bowl. Seems to be a little more southern than others and a lower elevation resort with a base of about 6100 ft.

I love this line "commitment to balancing responsible development and land preservation" when you consider the investors

Broadreach Capital Partners, headquartered in Palo Alto, Calif., is a real estate development company that owns such luxury hotels and resorts as The Carlyle in New York; the Biltmore Santa Barbara on the California coast; The Park Hyatt in Sydney, Australia; and the Rosewood hotel chain globally.

Cedar Capital Partners, based in London and New York, has a portfolio that includes such luxury destinations as The Savoy in London, the Lloyd Hotel in Amsterdam, the Monte Carlo Grand in Monaco, and The Shelborne in Miami.

Though both companies are involved with high-end luxury locations they claim that they will keep the simple feel of the resort but they plan to improve the infrastructure of the mountain, adding some ski runs and a high-speed lift. They also will expand the guest and skier facilities, such as the addition of a day lodge. A couple of years further out, there are plans for an “inn,” with 50 to 75 rooms, in the Sundance Village area.

Many of the locals seem to be concerned.

thetrailboss

Staff member