• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

SKI Magazine Wonders, "What Happened to Etiquette" This Year in Skiing?

jimk

Wasa6ch Peaks, not exactly a secret. Guy sounds like douche.
Thanks. A new private ski enclave for 1%ers somehow slipped under my radar :p

---------------------------------------

SAM Magazine—Peterson, Utah, Jan. 29, 2021—A new private mountain resort development in Utah aims to open to members for skiing and riding next winter. Called Wasatch Peaks Ranch, it's located 35 minutes north from Salt Lake City, 10 miles south of Snowbasin Resort.
WasatchHN

Wasatch Peaks Ranch encompasses 12,740 acres, including a planned 3,000 skiable acres of terrain with 3,600 feet of vertical. A private community of up to 750 housing units is beginning a multi-phase, 10-15 year buildout, according to reports. Access to the mountain will be restricted to investors and homeowners, who are expected to be among the "one percent of the richest one percent." One of the initial investors is Lessing Stern, son of Deer Valley founder Edgar Stern.

Leitner-Poma of America will begin construction this spring on the first two chairlifts at the new resort. Both installations are high-speed quads, planned with carriers that feature heated seats and bubbles. One of the lifts will be more than 8,000 feet long. Combined, the two new chairlifts will provide access to 1,650 acres of terrain, with a top elevation of about 9,500 feet. They are expected to be operational by December 2021. A total of nine lifts are planned once the buildout is complete.

Longtime Deer Valley general manager Bob Wheaton is Wasatch Peaks Ranch president and CEO. Wheaton led Deer Valley through years of growth to become the premiere resort it is today. He said Leitner-Poma of America has worked “to design and customize a lift experience that mirrors the luxury guest experience that our members will have.”

The year-round resort will also offer a variety of other outdoor recreational pursuits for its members, including an 18-hole Tom Fazio golf course, mountain biking, hiking, and fishing.

djd66

Guy sounds like douche.
guy definitely sounds like a douche.

what is it with people that have an issue with the bar being down? My wife does not like heights,… I was on a chair at Big Sky last winter and these guys gave me big time attitude about lowering the bar.

Kingslug20

He was worried you would join and build s 10 million dollar house next...to his...

JimG.

Staff member
Have any of these "top 1% only" ski resorts ever remained successful for long?

Seems to me they all fall apart, usually because someone in a position of power comes along and defrauds the members. Or they collect money and never get off the ground and the investments are lost.

Guess that doesn't matter much to the elite. What's a couple of million anyway? They say a fool and his money are soon parted. Douchebags too?

All I know is that would be a place I'd never want to ski anyway. Generally speaking elites are douchebags.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Skied some outstanding spring snow at Snowbird yesterday! One of my favorite non-powder days of the season! Weather was gorgeous, no people, amazing snow.
View attachment 54460

But I had a memorable chairlift ride that reminded me of this thread. About 1015 AM I got on the Mineral Basin chair with a hardcore-looking 45yr old guy wearing ear buds. As always, I ask to pull down the safety bar/foot rest. He got pissed. Seriously, and said he wished I didn't ride with him. Then I offered to keep the bar up, then he said go ahead and pull it down. Sounds funny now, but awkward exchange then. :sick: The bar comes down. I like foot rests.

Eventually he softens-up and pulls out his ear buds because he realizes he's riding with an old blabbermouth and we have a good conversation. Turns out he was a groomer at Snowbird for 20+ years and still works in ski operations at another location. I gush about how good the corn snow is today. He agrees, but then corrects me. It's not corn, hasn't had enough freeze/thaw/refreeze cycles to be corn. Tells me it's just good, soft supportable snow. All I know is that every square inch of Mineral Basin was covered in two inches of dreamy-creamy goodness for about 2 glorious hours before the sun got it. :p

But then the conversation got even more interesting. The guy tells me he now works at a stealth ski area with 3600' of vertical. It's owned by a handful of speculators/investors. I say, "Yellowstone Club?" He says no, closer to SLC. But he won't tell me anymore, says the owners want to keep it to themselves? Does @thetrailboss know what the guy is talking about? I wonder if it could be over by Powder Mtn? The hardcore guy says he hopes I have a good day, puts his ear buds back in and we end the chairlift ride on a friendly note. (y)
Wasatch Peaks Ranch?

KustyTheKlown

Have any of these "top 1% only" ski resorts ever remained successful for long?

Seems to me they all fall apart, usually because someone in a position of power comes along and defrauds the members. Or they collect money and never get off the ground and the investments are lost.

Guess that doesn't matter much to the elite. What's a couple of million anyway? They say a fool and his money are soon parted. Douchebags too?

All I know is that would be a place I'd never want to ski anyway. Generally speaking elites are douchebags.

Yellowstone club seems to do fine

It’s a dumb model in the east. I laugh at hermitage club people. Sweet private ski hill you got there, biff