• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter's Mt Status and Snow reports

da-bum

So from the sounds of it, it is not that they have to quarantine a whole bunch of workers, thus it having to close until they are cleared to go back to work, but that they don't have any volunteer patrols willing to take off work to cover for the paid members that tested positive or are in isolation. But they are searching around for other available ski patrols to cover, and by the weekend, they will definitely have enough volunteers to open the mountain.

kingslug

I've noticed very few patrollers compared to years past. Probably another reason why the west side remains closed. That area requires constant patrolling. Its a hell of a hard job, like snow making. Its no mystery why people don't want to do it if its just not worth it.

So Inclined

Its a hell of a hard job, like snow making. Its no mystery why people don't want to do it if its just not worth it.

I ski Hunter a lot. I have seen the carnage on Mossy Brook, the terror of overmatched, likely-soused low-intermediate bros on Clair's, and the bloodbath that is Belt Parkway on a Saturday around 2:30 pm. You could not pay me enough to patrol there. Volunteer patrollers there should get some kind of medal, not pushed out the door.
On the other hand, if I were thinking about being a patroller anywhere in this region (I'm not) I'd make a beeline for Platty. Less crowds (including less total yahoos) and (ostensibly, at least) a higher average level of skier? Comparatively speaking, it must be a joy to patrol there.

kingslug

Friend of mine was platty patroller..i hung with him for a day..was pretty cool but long day. He spent 6 months getting all the training needed. Very difficult..someones life is in your hands. Vail is learning now..not to piss on such valuable people

JimG.

Staff member
Wow. Not good. Combined with the issues at Attitash/Wildcat it looks like Vail has a lot of problems on the east coast.
Vail IS the problem on the east coast.

I can't help but laugh at the complete irony if a western corporation that has no business operating in the east is responsible for shutting down skiing in NY.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Uhh...you’re complaining about lifts not opening due to AC work? Really? This is the dumbest comment on this thread, and I have made some dumb ones...
Yeah, I agree. There may be a staffing issue, but delays due to avi work are common and don't rise to the level of dysfunction that people say is happening at some of Vail's eastern resorts.

da-bum

No words on the street or local watering hole on whether they are open starting tomorrow? I took days off for upcoming days and don't want to spend it sitting home if I can help it.

da-bum

There are tons of posts on myface on whether they are going to open, but not one response, not even from the rumor spreaders. Hunter's facespace admin out to lunch in Vail?

ScottySkis

No words on the street or local watering hole on whether they are open starting tomorrow? I took days off for upcoming days and don't want to spend it sitting home if I can help it.
Ski somewhere else many hills in NY metro area
Like catamount and elk

da-bum

Looks like they are closed Thur and opening starting friday. Good thing I took a raincheck on my snow day.

catskillman

so i have never received a text or email from Vail about anything.

Today I got a text reminding me that I had a reservation for today !!! They are closed !!! because of the COVID "issue".

What a mess. Can they be this unorganized (trying to not use the word incompetent.)

asnowmobiler

I know they say they are going to be open tomorrow, but I'm not sure if I trust them enough to get up early and drive 3 hours wondering the time if they will be open when I get there.

jimmywilson69

hopefully someone sent that to Katz... I have to wonder how much he is in the loop on the eastern happenings. I can't imagine any CEO not wanting to address this particular issue which shut down a revenue center for several days.

Vail not evening wanting to talk to the paper is also a bad look . If nothing else give them the same comment they put on social media.