• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sitting Bench ski kits

deadheadskier

Staff member
Anyone purchased a bench kit they're particularly fond of?

I'm looking for a full frame kit, not plans. I lack the tools and time to cut my own frame.

Basically just want to cut down my old skis for the slats for the seat bench and back. Something similar to the attached that my wife found on Pinterest.

Attachments

• b832e7f6d91737763c2b40b499e6d5fd.jpg
    b832e7f6d91737763c2b40b499e6d5fd.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21

Smellytele

The issue with ski benches/ chairs are the varying thickness of skis. And if you have the tools to cut the skis don’t you you have the tools to cut the frame.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The issue with ski benches/ chairs are the varying thickness of skis. And if you have the tools to cut the skis don’t you you have the tools to cut the frame.
I'd probably buy a cheap circular saw to cut my old skis down to size for the slats.

Just looking for a frame kit to attach them to

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
This doesn't seem to difficult as long as you figure out the ends like you said. The varying thickness shouldn't be that much of a problem unless you are buying skis from generations apart but even then just use some of the back and some for the bottom.

tumbler

Just buy a bench and don’t put the slats on when you assemble.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I'd probably buy a cheap circular saw to cut my old skis down to size for the slats.

Just looking for a frame kit to attach them to
Buy one of these , probably the most versatile tool you can own. With the right blade you can just about cut anything.

Smellytele

BenedictGomez

Anyone purchased a bench kit they're particularly fond of?

I'm looking for a full frame kit, not plans. I lack the tools and time to cut my own frame.

Basically just want to cut down my old skis for the slats for the seat bench and back. Something similar to the attached that my wife found on Pinterest.

I havent seen one encased in wood like that. It's funny, that's a much nicer bench than the ones solely make from skis, but I think I actually like the ones made only from skis better. Either was it seems like a great coronavirus project

BenedictGomez

I think a reciprocating saw would be a better tool for that job. I have the DeWalt cordless 20v, and it's awesome. You can get different blades for cutting various material (wood, metal, etc..).

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Just don't cut anything that you want to cut straight
It's all in the technique ,If you want to cut straight cut at a low angle and slow . I've cut out Formica sink counter tops , Cultured marble tops , steel ,cast iron . They make a carbide grit blade for the tuff stuff. If you want a nice smooth edge, dress it with a belt sander .

Hoodoo

I made this using plans for a standard ADK chair, swapping out certain pieces of wood for skis. To cut, I used a combination of a right angle grinder, circular saw, and jigsaw. Finished edges with my bench grinder and sandpaper. The biggest issue I faced was the varying materials in the ski; you need to cut through polyethene base, steel edge, wood core, fiberglass, etc. The pics are pre-stain.
IMG_1743.JPG
IMG_1733.JPGIMG_1735.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1743.JPG
    IMG_1743.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 3

JimG.

Staff member
I made this using plans for a standard ADK chair, swapping out certain pieces of wood for skis. To cut, I used a combination of a right angle grinder, circular saw, and jigsaw. Finished edges with my bench grinder and sandpaper. The biggest issue I faced was the varying materials in the ski; you need to cut through polyethene base, steel edge, wood core, fiberglass, etc. The pics are pre-stain.
View attachment 50250
View attachment 50247View attachment 50248
Love the toepiece cup holder!

Hoodoo

Love the toepiece cup holder!
Thx! Wasn't an original idea as I saw it elsewhere. I wish I would have located the cupholder as to hide the arm rest attachment hole. Alas, I didn't. It bugs the heck out of me. That said, this was my first go at it. I can definitely refine the process for the next. Not including the skis (which I acquired for free, or a buck or two at yard sales) I have all of 30 bucks in materials.

djd66

do the tips of the skis bother you when you try to put your head back?

Hoodoo

do the tips of the skis bother you when you try to put your head back?
Oddly enough, they do not. Full disclosure, I haven't used it while NOT wearing a winter hat. That could skew my 'comfort' thoughts. The pitch at which the back and bottom are set make it that my butt and lower back see more of the sitting force than my head. It is quite comfortable.

I did consider making the back taller, but, I didn't want the view from the kitchen window to be taken up by an 'ice king ski throne'. LOL