• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

brandt_cant_watch

With expectations of a freeze, Ellen was great today. FIS was surprisingly fun until late in the afternoon. NRE was stop and go which was a bummer.

All in all everything skied nice.

cdskier

Yes it was. Nothing soft either.

First run on a freshly groomed Sunrise was soft Sunday morning and really nice. I then hit Birch Run and Sunrise again and both were already chunky and nowhere near as good as that first run on Sunrise. Nothing else stands out to me from Sunday morning that I remember.

Smellytele

First run on a freshly groomed Sunrise was soft Sunday morning and really nice. I then hit Birch Run and Sunrise again and both were already chunky and nowhere near as good as that first run on Sunrise. Nothing else stands out to me from Sunday morning that I remember.
I started at Ellen then decided to hit Lincoln after lunch.

KustyTheKlown

apparently a few inches thurs>fri. hopefully softens things up for a cold weekend.

im thinking jay sat and then maybe bush sun. but maybe someplace further south to ease my drive. im getting pretty sick of stratton being my 'home mountain' this year tho

i skied two pretty pretty shitty glades sunday. but with the 5" from sun>mon they should be skiably fun now at least.

HowieT2

This is from aa friend at Big Sky:

“Stuck on lift for last half hour heading up to dinner and ski down. The good news is Steve is in chair behind us so the priority.
Skiing was rough today, lots of rocks and grass.”

He was on it one hour. I think the lift is less than 5 years old and I doubt they don’t do proper maintenance. They are very complicated machine and shit happens that is unexpected and unavoidable.
Winter Park this past weekend, Eagle Wind lift was closed more than open. stood on line for 10 minutes before the lifties advised it was down and they cleared the people stuck on the chairs. It happens.

ducky

SB yesterday. Slide Brook was pretty crunchy and technical under the 3". Groomers had better grip.
MRG today and similar conditions but oddly, better grooming than SB generally. Travis knows his stuff. Probably less than a hundred skiers there today. Maybe that's why.
Back to SB tomorrow for laps.
So far have avoided a single weekend this year.

Stowe: In other news, after charging for parking to allieiate traffic on the Mountain Rd and encouraging people to park remotely for free and take the shuttle, the shuttle bus driver was busted for DUI; blue lights, handcuffed and everything.

1dog

Winter Park this past weekend, Eagle Wind lift was closed more than open. stood on line for 10 minutes before the lifties advised it was down and they cleared the people stuck on the chairs. It happens.
Keep thinking of the 1200 sensors. Only been skiing since 3/14/82 ( yes, recall that exact day - like your wedding day only far less expensive and no ball and chain) but I can't imagine that simple mechanics are more likely to shut down. Faulty sensors or just overkill- possibly mandated by insurance companies? Our hybrid has so much more to go wrong than an ICE. There were no detachables back then, lots of doubles and few triples, maybe a fixed quad here and there?

Like technology paradox- it has made things both more productive and convenient, and much more complicated at the same time. I have parents and in-laws who can't figure out streaming as opposed to the old hard-wired cable service that allowed last channel, easy menu, etc.

Can't this be simplified or in our advanced technological society?

Johnny B

Over MLK weekend, there were some wind holds and while at LP, all of the sudden, there was an announcement over the loudspeaker (P.A) stating that Heaven's Gate was now open. It's not a substitute for updating the app and website, but I thought it was pretty cool. Granted I happened to be at the base at the right time to hear the announcement, but again, every attempt to communicate as best as possible is appreciated.
Hey everyone,

It's been a while and I apologize. I need to get back in the habit of digging in here every now and then. Glad to hear the blog was appreciated, and I agree I wish I had managed to get it out a few days earlier. Per an earlier comment, we're also actively working to come up with a process to allow us to better explain what's going on the in moment when there are lifts down. For example rather than just mechanical hold we say what the reason is. Of course, the tricky part is you first need to know what's going on and lift maintenance needs to be able to take the time to share that with snow reporters who can then communicate with guest services. We're going to try and improve that as makes sense, but at the end of the day the #1 priority is them fixing the problem.

Also we did manage to fix the P.A. at Mt. Ellen, so now our plan is to use those loudspeakers to update everyone on lift statuses as appropriate. We're not going to say a lift is down after 5 minutes, but if it looks like it will be a while we'll probably make an announcement and we'll certainly make one when the lift starts spinning again. And hey naturally we'll also use it to promote events!

I hope everyone's been out enjoying all that January snow. What a month. Here's to an even snowier February, and if you have questions please don't ever hesitate to reach out to me directly at jbleh@sugarbush.com.

Thanks!

HowieT2

Keep thinking of the 1200 sensors. Only been skiing since 3/14/82 ( yes, recall that exact day - like your wedding day only far less expensive and no ball and chain) but I can't imagine that simple mechanics are more likely to shut down. Faulty sensors or just overkill- possibly mandated by insurance companies? Our hybrid has so much more to go wrong than an ICE. There were no detachables back then, lots of doubles and few triples, maybe a fixed quad here and there?

Like technology paradox- it has made things both more productive and convenient, and much more complicated at the same time. I have parents and in-laws who can't figure out streaming as opposed to the old hard-wired cable service that allowed last channel, easy menu, etc.

Can't this be simplified or in our advanced technological society?
Sorry to burst your bubble, but Eagle Wind is an old fixed grip triple chair so no blaming technology