• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Detachable Quad Coming to Stratton This Summer

WoodCore

According to Liftblog's 2024 new lifts list https://liftblog.com/2024-new-lifts/ Stratton will be replacing the Tamarack Lift with a shiny new Doppelmayr HSQ. I Searched the ACT 250 database but no permits have been filed to date. If this does happen curios to see if the alignment and length vary from the current footprint.

ColdRain&Snow

This will make the learning area safer. The path of least resistance (no poling) from ursa is down yodeler express, down tamarack, and left through the new learning area to Amex or gondola. A high speed lift there gets rid of most all the traffic through the magic carpets.

Newpylong

That is going to be replaced, after Heaven's Gate. I would say if they wanted to spend the coin on the lift now, it would be replaced now, but they aren't.

x10003q

There have been rumors about a new access point in that area below the Tamarack lift for years. Lot 1 is across the street and it seems they have marked that general area for new housing. Maybe they take down the Black Bear Lodge, too. I hope they take the lift over the Grizzly Access trail in order to get people the ability to get to the upper mountain via Ursa6 and also access the Sunbowl. There is an area about 500 ft directly above the top terminal of the Tamarack3 where they could fit a new top terminal.

Currently, when the Gondola is off line, the main base is a mess with huge lines on the Amex6 and the South American FGQ. Updating the Tamarack is not going to fix the main base crowding, but it will take some pressure off the main base by having more green skiers head to Tamarack for the easy loading and unloading of the HSQ and better green terrain.

Most of Stratton's lifts are 20 plus years old (except the Snow Bowl HSQ which came online around Dec, 2018 and had to have its motor replaced last year). They are going to have to deal with the age of the lifts at some point. The Amex6 came online around Dec, 1995. If Stratton loses the Amex6 for a stretch and the gondola is on wind hold, they have a huge problem. The South American really needs to be updated to a HS6.

icecoast1

There have been rumors about a new access point in that area below the Tamarack lift for years. Lot 1 is across the street and it seems they have marked that general area for new housing. Maybe they take down the Black Bear Lodge, too. I hope they take the lift over the Grizzly Access trail in order to get people the ability to get to the upper mountain via Ursa6 and also access the Sunbowl. There is an area about 500 ft directly above the top terminal of the Tamarack3 where they could fit a new top terminal.

Currently, when the Gondola is off line, the main base is a mess with huge lines on the Amex6 and the South American FGQ. Updating the Tamarack is not going to fix the main base crowding, but it will take some pressure off the main base by having more green skiers head to Tamarack for the easy loading and unloading of the HSQ and better green terrain.

Most of Stratton's lifts are 20 plus years old (except the Snow Bowl HSQ which came online around Dec, 2018 and had to have its motor replaced last year). They are going to have to deal with the age of the lifts at some point. The Amex6 came online around Dec, 1995. If Stratton loses the Amex6 for a stretch and the gondola is on wind hold, they have a huge problem. The South American really needs to be updated to a HS6.

you used to be able to ski down "ursa access" from the top of tamarack to get to ursa. Is that trail not utilized anymore?

Newpylong

I don't think replacing South American with another HS6, next to an existing HS6, next to a new HS4 (coming), next to a gondola is a smart move. They already have a 6 that sits unused mid-week, it's not a good ROI to put another one in. They may be better served replacing both South American and Amex (getting up there on hours) with an 8 at some point.

x10003q

I don't think replacing South American with another HS6, next to an existing HS6, next to a new HS4 (coming), next to a gondola is a smart move. They already have a 6 that sits unused mid-week, it's not a good ROI to put another one in. They may be better served replacing both South American and Amex (getting up there on hours) with an 8 at some point.
Yes -
or they could take the shooting star6 put it where the SA4 is located. They should reconsider adding a HSQ where the Kidderbrook FGQ was located.

Last edited:

x10003q

you used to be able to ski down "ursa access" from the top of tamarack to get to ursa. Is that trail not utilized anymore?
That trail is currently used for jumping/aerial practice and the bottom of the trail is well below the Ursa6 base. The Grizzly double base must have been lower than the current URSA base.

ColdRain&Snow

Over the past few years I’ve heard since the gondola is on wind hold so much, they would put two bubble 8s to the summit, from the gondola base and tamarack base, with a hotel at the tamarack base.

icecoast1

That trail is currently used for jumping/aerial practice and the bottom of the trail is well below the Ursa6 base. The Grizzly double base must have been lower than the current URSA base.

it's been several years since I've been to Stratton but when I was last there, they used to make snow on that trail and build a road over to Ursa so you could ski down that way

FourOhFour

No. That only lasted a couple years before they closed it. I don't know why, but I suspect it's either because it dropped you off in a lousy spot for the layout of the queue or because it needed a ton of snow to fill in the bottom.

icecoast1

No. That only lasted a couple years before they closed it. I don't know why, but I suspect it's either because it dropped you off in a lousy spot for the layout of the queue or because it needed a ton of snow to fill in the bottom.

it was kind of a mess coming into the lift maze that way, that would make sense

4aprice

There have been rumors about a new access point in that area below the Tamarack lift for years. Lot 1 is across the street and it seems they have marked that general area for new housing.
What about these condos right behind the base of Tamarack? Are they even occupied? There were porch furniture on the decks but no sign of life last weekend

100_0112.JPG

Maybe they take down the Black Bear Lodge,
Please no. Enjoyed our stay there last weekend.

Yes -
or they could take the shooting star6 put it where the SA4 is located. They should reconsider adding a HSQ where the Kidderbrook FGQ was located.
Take Shooting Star down to the area at the bottom Free Fall. That would make some of the good trees in that area much more skiable.

Newpylong

I say remove Shooting Star entirely, and install a new HSQ on Kidderbrook. It's only going to run weekends anyway and doesn't need to a 6, then all of those trails become easily lap able(sp?) again. It's about time they right a wrong over there.