• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Detachable Quad Coming to Stratton This Summer

icecoast1

I say remove Shooting Star entirely, and install a new HSQ on Kidderbrook. It's only going to run weekends anyway and doesn't need to a 6, then all of those trails become easily lap able(sp?) again. It's about time they right a wrong over there.

Until they start giving a crap about the kidderbrook area and actually make snow on it and open it, that would be a waste. Logistically having a lift on kidderbrook would be nice though to access the good terrain and not have to do the runout. If I was a regular Stratton skier, i'd almost prefer the runout and no lift though, adding more traffic over there will only track out the best part of the mountain which many people avoid currently due to the runout

ColdRain&Snow

I say remove Shooting Star entirely, and install a new HSQ on Kidderbrook. It's only going to run weekends anyway and doesn't need to a 6, then all of those trails become easily lap able(sp?) again. It's about time they right a wrong over there.

I loved that lift, kidderbrook ttb is a great run.

Newpylong

Until they start giving a crap about the kidderbrook area and actually make snow on it and open it, that would be a waste. Logistically having a lift on kidderbrook would be nice though to access the good terrain and not have to do the runout. If I was a regular Stratton skier, i'd almost prefer the runout and no lift though, adding more traffic over there will only track out the best part of the mountain which many people avoid currently due to the runout
Chicken and Egg situation. They don't give a crap about it because it's two trails not directly served by a lift any longer.

icecoast1

Chicken and Egg situation. They don't give a crap about it because it's two trails not directly served by a lift any longer.

Word on the street from someone that works there was the pipe is no good so they can't make snow, but who knows. They always made snow on it, even just a dust and run until recent years, now nothing. Some of the best terrain on the mountain is over there, it's such a waste

NYDB

....... If I was a regular Stratton skier, i'd almost prefer the runout and no lift though, adding more traffic over there will only track out the best part of the mountain which many people avoid currently due to the runout

^This.

I can deal with the run out. If they aren't going to run either lift (existing shooting star or fantasy Kidderbrook HSQ) during the week then just leave it as is.

NYDB

Also, the people i know who work at the mountain are telling me they are planning on making snow on kidderbrook and surrounding trails as soon as temps drop, which looks to be tonight. I beleive it has always been last in the snowmaking rotation. Or at least near the last. that trail adds alot of acreage too.

Last edited:

x10003q

What about these condos right behind the base of Tamarack? Are they even occupied? There were porch furniture on the decks but no sign of life last weekend

View attachment 60940
These are Village Watch and they are most definitely occupied. There is a 2br/2bth listed at $700k. If you walk to the right of Village Watch you will have a short walk to Lot 1.

Please no. Enjoyed our stay there last weekend.
Take Shooting Star down to the area at the bottom Free Fall. That would make some of the good trees in that area much more skiable.
They really messed up the Shooting Star/Kidderbrook area. When they installed the Shooting Star around 2002, the Kidderbrook FGQ was still sitting on Kidderbrook. I think Stratton owns a bunch of land lookers left of the Kidderbrook trail that could be an expansion area.

xlr8r

They really messed up the Shooting Star/Kidderbrook area. When they installed the Shooting Star around 2002, the Kidderbrook FGQ was still sitting on Kidderbrook. I think Stratton owns a bunch of land lookers left of the Kidderbrook trail that could be an expansion area.
They did mess up putting Shooting Star where it is. It should have been built to start in the ravine, or just straight up replace Kidderbrook. I remember seeing online somewhere that Shooting Star was built where it is because the new Solstice Real Estate in the Sun Bowl wanted a base to summit lift. Intrawest went with a compromise solution of the two back to back six packs instead.

Based on what I have read on Liftblog originally Tamarack was going to be replaced to coincide with a new hotel being built where Liftline lodge used to be. To make the new hotel ski in/ski out, Tamarack would be extended to cross the access road, and a skier bridge built. But I have not heard anything recent about the hotel, and building a lift and trail to cross the road would be complex as that road would have to have a tall height requirement for trucks. Because the new hotel is being delayed, Alterra seems to be going ahead with replacing Tamarack in its current alignment. Real Estate wise though Founders Lodge is finally going to have its second phase built after being only half completed for almost 20 years now

deadheadskier

Staff member

I wonder why they left Kidderbrook in when SS was installed anyway?

Backup FG lift to the summit?

ghughes20

What about these condos right behind the base of Tamarack? Are they even occupied? There were porch furniture on the decks but no sign of life last weekend

View attachment 60940

Please no. Enjoyed our stay there last weekend.

Take Shooting Star down to the area at the bottom Free Fall. That would make some of the good trees in that area much more skiable.
Well, as an owner of one of those condos, yes, they're very much occupied. Great location too. I can practically ski to the door around the bottom right corner in this pic.

There's one wild "RUMOR" that Stratton may look to run the new lift to the summit, with a mid mountain drop-off point just north of where Tamarack terminates today. This would enable easier connection to Ursa if you disembark mid mountain. My guess is the new HSQ would likely terminate just uphill of Tamarack for the better Ursa connection.

Additionally, there is chatter about a cabriolet style lift that would start across the street in lot 1 and drop off skiers at the new HSQ. There are many condos on the other side of the access road. Additionally, there is a foundation laid for another condo building that was never finished. The locals suggest a cabriolet lift from that area would enable to them to market new condo's as ski in/out. Also, they're putting out feelers to build a 5 Star Hotel near lot 1 and adjacent to the current Black Bear Lodge. Thus creating a new mini-base to filter traffic from those condos and new real-estate away from the main base - and the gondola that never runs.

ghughes20

They did mess up putting Shooting Star where it is. It should have been built to start in the ravine, or just straight up replace Kidderbrook. I remember seeing online somewhere that Shooting Star was built where it is because the new Solstice Real Estate in the Sun Bowl wanted a base to summit lift. Intrawest went with a compromise solution of the two back to back six packs instead.

Based on what I have read on Liftblog originally Tamarack was going to be replaced to coincide with a new hotel being built where Liftline lodge used to be. To make the new hotel ski in/ski out, Tamarack would be extended to cross the access road, and a skier bridge built. But I have not heard anything recent about the hotel, and building a lift and trail to cross the road would be complex as that road would have to have a tall height requirement for trucks. Because the new hotel is being delayed, Alterra seems to be going ahead with replacing Tamarack in its current alignment. Real Estate wise though Founders Lodge is finally going to have its second phase built after being only half completed for almost 20 years now
I've never heard of an access bridge, but I have heard about a cabriolet lift. Either would be a challenge given the location of Village Watch / Mountain Watch (condo buildings) below Tamarack. But they definitely want to open up that area on the other side of the access road by lot 1.

NYDB

I've never heard of an access bridge, but I have heard about a cabriolet lift. Either would be a challenge given the location of Village Watch / Mountain Watch (condo buildings) below Tamarack. But they definitely want to open up that area on the other side of the access road by lot 1.
I thought the roadway work this past summer was a prelude to a ski bridge or tunnel or something? you would probably know better since you own right there, I'm down in winhall.

There seems like there is plenty of room for a trail across the road there. You can usually ski back to lot one over there once snow coverage is good enough. I'm no lift expert, but it would seem easy enough to modify the lower part of the lift at a later date to tie in with a 2 stage quad. Maybe not though.

the alignment looks like it would work if they shifted the top terminal a bit skiers left. which if extended a bit uphill would help skiers get to grizzly access too.

ColdRain&Snow

Thus creating a new mini-base to filter traffic from those condos and new real-estate away from the main base - and the gondola that never runs.

I guess gondolas and trams are status symbols for resorts, but switching to a bubble8 lift would be a big improvement, may even negate the need for a summit lift at tamarack.

NYDB

I guess gondolas and trams are status symbols for resorts, but switching to a bubble8 lift would be a big improvement, may even negate the need for a summit lift at tamarack.
Eventually there will be a nice lodge and restaurant on the summit. They need the gondola for non ski season activities. It ain't going no place unfortunately.

And, its a gaper trap when its running.

icecoast1

And, its a gaper trap when its running.

Always amazed me how many people would choose to ride that thing over amex to ursa which was quicker and you didn't have to take your skis off

WoodCore

Another observation/confirmation on the new quad I made this weekend. The new RFID gate setup at the Tamarack triple has 4 portals instead of 3.

WoodCore

Word on the street from someone that works there was the pipe is no good so they can't make snow, but who knows. They always made snow on it, even just a dust and run until recent years, now nothing. Some of the best terrain on the mountain is over there, it's such a waste

They were blowing the shit out of it all weekend, Kidderbrook, Freefall, Bear Down and others.

NYDB

That is going to change that mountain so much if they make it an unlimited IKON mountain. Is there room for luxury condos anywhere near the base? It seems like no, but you never know. Maybe they buy Loveland and create an interconnect?

And sorry sugarbush.....there ain't much money left over for an NRX upgrade, so we'll have to push that off a few more years.

Last edited: