• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

HOTELS, MOTELS and LODGES how prices have changed from MILD to WILD since Covid-19. Where are you finding deals?

MidnightJester

SO trying to find deals to Stay and SKI and RIDE that I and others used to enjoy have come and gone mostly. Prices have doubled it seems at most locations. Many $100 rooms are gone and now $200 or more is the Normal but a few cheaper ones can be found occasionally with effort.

I just booked in Rutland the (Choice Hotels)ECONO LODGE RUTLAND CITY for Friday and Saturday. Was able to score at what might be a scary hotel after I stay there Friday and Saturday night at $120 a night for $240 total. Time will tell : ) Using it as Launching point for 3 days(Fri,Sat,Sun) with one at Killington and the other 2 at Northern Vermont mountains.

North Vermont, Middle Vermont and Southern Vermont. Where are you finding deals to stay? By Areas or Mountains?
Yea it’s wild. The hillside at killington is employee housing now. The rodeway inns are like homeless shelters. So is the quality inn. And the days inn and comfort inn are like $250 a night. Priced out of rutland!
I used to like the Hillside at Killington a bunch : ) sad it is not available to stay at. It helped to raise prices a little around Killington losing the Hillside Hotel/Motel for regular people.

Last edited:

KustyTheKlown

Still plenty of cheap hotels if you’re willing to drive a little to/from. Rutland, WRJ, Burlington, Manchester VT, Lincoln to Littleton NH, Gorham NH. All have multiple options <$150. Some <$100.

I’m booked for two nights in WRJ this weekend for $205

MidnightJester

Still plenty of cheap hotels if you’re willing to drive a little to/from. Rutland, WRJ, Burlington, Manchester VT, Lincoln to Littleton NH, Gorham NH. All have multiple options <$150. Some <$100.

I’m booked for two nights in WRJ this weekend for $205
I Never stayed in WRJ before as a jumping point. Used Barre VT and The Hollow INN and Motel when I was more northern a few times.
I was looking at WRJ "White River Junction" at White river Inn & Suites(Newish it looks) which had decent looking rooms with pull out couches and mini kitchens for around $130-$140 a night. Was 45minutes to Killington and 70 minutes or so to Sugarbush and Stowe

jaytrem

Here's what I do to save money on Hotels...

Step 1. Sign up for Coupon Cabin and Ratuken (and whatever else is similar).
Step 2. Buy discounted Hotels.com giftcard from Card Cash or Raise (preferably when they have a sale going on), and make sure Coupon Cabin or Raise is active..
Step 3. Immediately book something for full amount of card and then cancel, so then you have a "clean" gift card (or combine on existing "clean" card).
Step 4. Book hotel you really want and be sure to have Coupon Cabin installed and active.

If all goes well you should save around 20%. It used to be a good amount higher but the Hotels.com reward program is a much lower percentage than it was just a little while ago. Kinda sucks now, that does have me looking at other options.

gozips

You don’t want to stay at that EconoLodge. It’s been a dump for a while and has been housing a lot of homeless since the pandemic.

4aprice

As I've gotten older my choices of where I stay have become much more limited. I find Vermont. particularly Southern Vermont, to lack lodging that we find acceptable when traveling with the wife. Don't get up to Burlington so I haven't stayed up there in a long time.

I only get up to NNE maybe 3 or 4 weekends a season now. (Ikon destinations) Friends of ours have a house in the Killington region and are gracious enough to invite us to stay 1 or 2 weekends. The other times we go I admit to splurging a bit. I do look to book places with amenities I want (a hot tub) We just got back from a weekend at Stratton staying at the Black Bear. Not cheap but a nice time, nice facilities worth it. Someone said on another thread its days may be limited, I hope not or at least I hope we are no longer in the east to see that.

Another place we find enjoyable is the Holiday Inn up in Lincoln NH. Got the things we want, clean close to skiing and dining. Got my reservations for the 2nd weekend in March.

When my daughter attended Castleton, we used to stay at the Red Roof (now Days Inn) in Rutland, but found it "worn out" the last time there and probably won't go back. The Quality Inn has never impressed us either. I think the only place I would feel comfortable at is the Hampton Inn an its probably filled pretty quickly during a regular season weekend.

I have skied out of White River Junction many times in the past. Several places there including the Super 8 not being too bad (I will stay there without the wife) There also is a place across the river in West Lebanon called the Fireside we like, good dining over there too. We hit Sugarbush out of there, IIRC its just over an hour to LP from there, not bad. Hit Loon out of there as well. Back in Max Pass days Okemo and Mt Sunapee were real easy drives from there.

I do think that the service aspect of the hotel business has gone down since the pandemic and the prices have definitely gone up.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Post title made me reminisce about all the hostels and ski club lodges I got to stay at back East. Some awesome places and stories. Funniest would be hanging out in the gathering room at Turn of River, and these 3 old guys decide that restaurant food for dinner is too expensive. So they drive to the Rutland Walmart and buy a tiny ass camp stove, some butane, and groceries. They played with it for over an hour, in the dark, in the parking lot at Turn of River... and couldn't get the stove to light. They were still trying to do that when I went to bed at 9:45.

keyser soze

I belong to the Central Jersey Ski Club and it is ~ $50/night to stay there and there is a double kitchen and nice great room with a fireplace. It's located on 100 near Rochester, about 25 minutes to Killington and 35 minutes to Sugarbush. It costs $75 to be a member and we have members in Florida and Canada that join just to use the lodge, no need to attend meetings. It is not fancy, but is clean and has comfortable beds and hot showers. The lodge sleeps 45 and many times there will not be more than 10 people staying on the weekend. Link below and hit me up with any questions.

Gregg

Zand

Yeah NNE is kind of a pain for getting a good room at a decent price. Especially trying to get near Jay, you're either playing Motel Russian Roulette or you have to stay an hour away unless you pay to stay at the Jay hotels. The MRV is tough too...Warren Lodge is pretty good but almost everyone in that area gets insane on weekends.

I'm still lamenting losing two really good places on the K access road in the past two years. Always used to stay at Hillside and then Chalet Killington, both of which were totally worth the cheap fare. Ended up staying at the Comfort Inn in Rutland which, along with the Hampton Inn, is one of two I would ever stay in in Rutland because I'm not as brave with the shitholes as Kusty is haha.

NH and ME are a little better but only a little. Much easier to find reasonable lodging out west unless you're somewhere remote like Big Sky.

xlr8r

For Killington, Pico, and Okemo, Rutland is now often too expensive. I used to stay at the Rutland Comfort Inn a lot, but that is now too much on weekends. I find myself booking White River Junction now. For Sugarbush, I stay at Hostel Tevere. For Stratton, Manchester still has some affordable motels. Sunday River area its tough to find anything in my price range.

I now rarely book lodging for friday nights now that lodging has gotten more expensive and I'm staying further away from mountains. Weekend trips for me now usually have a lazy friday night at home to pack up the car and go to bed early. Then wake up at 5 and drive to the mountain saturday. Places like Killington, Pico, Stratton, I can get to by 8:30am on saturday driving up from home. I actually find this easier than having to pack the car thursday, get on the road from work on Friday afternoon, then drive in Friday night traffic in the dark up to mountains.

kendo

I've been using vrbo the past few years.

Book Sun - Thurs stays for alot less than weekends. Establish a good relationship with the property owners and they usually allow me to book direct for future stays ... avoiding the vrbo fees. Some owners send me 40-50% off offers if they have a short notice unused midweek op. All good and adds up to big savings for 20-30 nites per season.

KustyTheKlown

Ended up staying at the Comfort Inn in Rutland which, along with the Hampton Inn, is one of two I would ever stay in in Rutland because I'm not as brave with the shitholes as Kusty is haha.

yea, and i wouldnt even stay in the econo lodge booked by OP. the rutland travel lodge, econo lodge, and 2 rodeway inns are big no gos since covid. i never stayed at the quality inn there but also would never. days inn and comfort inn are the two acceptable rutlanders.

jimmywilson69

It sucks that the Holiday Inn in Rutland went to shit and apparently is being paid by VT house homeless people. Stayed here with school trips I was an advisor on years ago and it was a decent place. I was surprised to see that it lost its Holiday Inn franchise several years ago. Just read the reviews online and it appears to have become a de-facto homeless shelter, but they'll still rent you a room if you dare...

Zand

It sucks that the Holiday Inn in Rutland went to shit and apparently is being paid by VT house homeless people. Stayed here with school trips I was an advisor on years ago and it was a decent place. I was surprised to see that it lost its Holiday Inn franchise several years ago. Just read the reviews online and it appears to have become a de-facto homeless shelter, but they'll still rent you a room if you dare...
We used to host the LSC Storm Conference in that hotel when I was in college. Was a decent place with a fun bar. Also had a Taco Bell and Denny's within walking distance for late night shenanigans.

When I was looking at Rutland before going to Killington last week I noticed that it's now a Cortina Inn and yeah the reviews are pretty much all negative.

Same thing happened in St J. Used to stay at the Fairbanks Inn fairly often after I graduated and my parents used to stay there when they came up. Place was always pretty nice. Most recently stayed there in 2019 and it had already gone downhill, now it's really a shithole and all St J has is the ridiculously expensive Comfort Inn.

ColdRain&Snow

You don’t want to stay at that EconoLodge. It’s been a dump for a while and has been housing a lot of homeless since the pandemic.

I stayed at a place like that in Manchester last year, outdoor couches and cars on blocks.