• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2024- 2025 Gear

BodeMiller1

I need skis, boots and poles.

Way too many choices and my fault is brand loyalty. Atomic, Lange, Scott

jimmywilson69

lots of good options for skis and boots. The usual try them before you by them comments regarding skis is tried and true. Boots go to a reputable boot fitter. you have options up north.

What kind of skier are you? Do you want a "one ski quiver" or do you like having a full on quiver?

Do you want gear that'll allow climbing? Even if not for actual uphill, having a walk mode is nice for the jaunt from the parking lot to the snow.

zyk

Boots is where I would put my money. Got new ones this year. Only thing is they seem to be packing out fast. My poles I found by a dumpster 15 years ago. Cut down to my size and they're fine. 4 pairs of skis. Two I bought and two donations to the cause. Newest probably 4 years old.

BodeMiller1

Blue Lang boots, I take a men's 10, so I ski in 9s. Looking to maybe swap Atomics for Blizzards. No way I will ever use adjustable poles, one piece aluminum (staight). Trying to ski for UVM, butt it may be a pipe dream. meow

NYDB

..... My poles I found by a dumpster 15 years ago. ......

As a snowboarder I find this very funny. Not making fun of the poster here, its just that it seems there is an inverse correlation to the level of skier to the price they paid / or condition of their poles. Much like the time spent in lodges vs visits to ski resorts.

15 yo dumpster find might be the top of the chart. I don't know if you can beat that. Maybe an older dumpster find at MRG? Found after snowmelt at Alta?

Anyway, sorry to derail this very important thread.

• Haha
Reactions: zyk

BodeMiller1

As a snowboarder I find this very funny. Not making fun of the poster here, its just that it seems there is an inverse correlation to the level of skier to the price they paid / or condition of their poles. Much like the time spent in lodges vs visits to ski resorts.

15 yo dumpster find might be the top of the chart. I don't know if you can beat that. Maybe an older dumpster find at MRG? Found after snowmelt at Alta?

Anyway, sorry to derail this very important thread.
Come on, you know I can't be insulted. Also, in the summer you can pick up hot skis on the K access rd. A thread derailed, it's almost summer so...(y)

BodeMiller1

JW69 speed kills and I'm the Angel of Death. :)

Also, glades. I always have at least 2 or three skis. I like to bring morning skis and softer ones for after 10:00AM. :daffy:

drjeff

Why lol? I don’t know much about them.
I'll give report on them early next season. Ordered a pair of the Peak 88's by Bode for both my wife and I when they had their 2 pairs for $999 deal recently - and if either of us don't like them they will give us a full refunded if we return them by 12/31/2024.

We have friends of ours where he skis on the 98's and his wife on the 88's and they can't stop talking about how great they are. Right up there finish and quality wise with say a Stockli or a Kastle....

Now I just have to stare at them in the wrapper they shipped in until probably Thanksgiving time when, mother nature permitting, I get to get them out on the hill!

letitsnow1

wife on the 88's and they can't stop talking about how great they are. Right up there finish and quality wise with say a Stockli or a Kastle....
Are you sure the finish isn't like an Elan? That's the factory that makes them

drjeff

Are you sure the finish isn't like an Elan? That's the factory that makes them
Same factory, yes I knew that. Finish level from what I have scene 1st hand visually, as well as heard real world accounts of from my friends who skied there's probably 25-30 days this year, (and atleast the husbrand friend has a pair of Ripsticks in his quiver) is much above what the typical Elan is.

Heck, the Peak's even impressed the noted "ski snobs" over at Ski Talk up and down the reviews of them, and that's not an easy thing to do! ;):ROFLMAO:

letitsnow1

When I buy new poles they always break the same season. The ones I found in a snowbank in the magic parking lot and the ones from a yard sale last forever. I get poles at a yard sale and break them in another kind of yard sale lol

Edd

Towards the end of the season, I pulled the trigger on Stockli Stormrider 95s. Got them on 6” of pow and some spring snow. They live up to the hype, like the Laser AXs I bought a couple of seasons ago. I’d never try to convince someone to spend the $ on them because you’ll get great skis for a lot less but….if you’re a ski nerd, they’re worth your attention. Crazy stability and off piste ease of use.

Zand

As someone who rarely buys new equipment, I need some advice here from folks who do so more often...

I think I need new boots before next year. I bought my current boots early in the 2017-18 season as my old boots (which were almost 15 years old) were starting to fall apart. My old boots NEVER caused me any discomfort and it was hard to part ways with them. I bought my current ones at the Wachusett shop, and they have always been really highly rated when helping with buying new equipment. That said, for the past 7 years I've been dealing with rather uncomfortable foot pain in these boots, particularly about 3-5 runs into a day. Most days I can go in and take them off for 5 mins, stretch my feet out, put them back on and things are okay for the rest of the day. If I ski many days in a row they usually don't hurt at all by day 3. If it's extremely cold outside, they can be painful all day and sometimes feel like they're literally squeezing my feet like there's a python wrapped around them.

I may be wrong, but I'm decently confident that they fit correctly. I never experience any numbness except on the coldest of days. So I'm not sure what could be causing it, and I'm not sure if there's anything that can really be done about it or if it's just a fact of life regarding skiing. A lot of people say ski boots are just naturally uncomfortable.

Was I just really lucky with my last set of boots that never caused any pain? Or is thing something that is fixable with a new pair of boots and if so can someone recommend a good place to get new ones fitted? Not that I don't trust Wachusett's shop but I feel like boots are the one thing I would be willing to travel to see a top notch bootfitter.

urungus

As someone who rarely buys new equipment, I need some advice here from folks who do so more often...

I think I need new boots before next year. I bought my current boots early in the 2017-18 season as my old boots (which were almost 15 years old) were starting to fall apart. My old boots NEVER caused me any discomfort and it was hard to part ways with them. I bought my current ones at the Wachusett shop, and they have always been really highly rated when helping with buying new equipment. That said, for the past 7 years I've been dealing with rather uncomfortable foot pain in these boots, particularly about 3-5 runs into a day. Most days I can go in and take them off for 5 mins, stretch my feet out, put them back on and things are okay for the rest of the day. If I ski many days in a row they usually don't hurt at all by day 3. If it's extremely cold outside, they can be painful all day and sometimes feel like they're literally squeezing my feet like there's a python wrapped around them.

I may be wrong, but I'm decently confident that they fit correctly. I never experience any numbness except on the coldest of days. So I'm not sure what could be causing it, and I'm not sure if there's anything that can really be done about it or if it's just a fact of life regarding skiing. A lot of people say ski boots are just naturally uncomfortable.

Was I just really lucky with my last set of boots that never caused any pain? Or is thing something that is fixable with a new pair of boots and if so can someone recommend a good place to get new ones fitted? Not that I don't trust Wachusett's shop but I feel like boots are the one thing I would be willing to travel to see a top notch bootfitter.
Have you gone back to the Wachusett shop and asked for an adjustment ?
I bought my last pair of boots at the highly-rated Nick’s near Mount Snow and couldn’t be happier. As I was breaking them in, I brought the new boots back a couple times for some free minor adjustments where the boots were a little too snug/pinchy, and they are perfectly comfortable now.

Zand

I did at first and then they were fine for a while. It's kind of gotten worse the last few years (probably because I've been skiing a lot less) but I also never go to Wachusett anymore and don't have a pass. Plus after 7 years not sure how much they could do.