• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

EVs - New Hampshire gets it right

SkiingInABlueDream

I agree about using engine braking to save brake wear and overheating on very long continuous descents. But I don't think I've ever known anyone (and I have many MT/car enthusiast friends, plus myself) who engine brake allllll the time whenever they decelerate. To do that you'd literally be heel-toe downshifting at every stop sign, red light and traffic bunch up. I've never known anyone to drive like that. (Which is what it sounds like some here are saying they're doing)

Edd

I agree about using engine braking to save brake wear and overheating on very long continuous descents. But I don't think I've ever known anyone (and I have many MT/car enthusiast friends, plus myself) who engine brake allllll the time whenever they decelerate. To do that you'd literally be heel-toe downshifting at every stop sign, red light and traffic bunch up. I've never known anyone to drive like that. (Which is what it sounds like some here are saying they're doing)
I had 5 manual stick cars in a row in my 20s and that’s pretty much how I drove.

SkiingInABlueDream

I had 5 manual stick cars in a row in my 20s and that’s pretty much how I drove.
Heel and toe downshifting at every red light and stop sign?? Hmmm🤔 I agree it's the right way to decel on the track or any situation where you want to maximize you speed into a turn. But everyday street driving... You must reeeealllly enjoy rowing the gears for its own sake.

abc

Heel and toe downshifting at every red light and stop sign?? Hmmm🤔 I agree it's the right way to decel on the track or any situation where you want to maximize you speed into a turn. But everyday street driving... You must reeeealllly enjoy rowing the gears for its own sake.
Sure you can do that when you live in the sticks where there’s no traffic lights to begin with! ;)

On the other hand, I ride my bicycle to go grocery shopping, when I could have gotten there in 1/2 the time by car. You know why? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

(You’re dead right. Some people definitely “rowing their gear for its own sake”. As I said earlier, “driving” is a hobby for some despite it being a utilitarian task by most)

Edd

I tired of it eventually. I’ll never go back to sticks, but it’s fun when I get one on a rental car traveling internationally. Makes the experience extra weird.

abc

problem with paddle shifters are on off ramps or sharp turns they aren't ergonomic. 1st one I had was going from a '05 Acura MDX 5 or 6 speed on shifter to an '08 - paddles - cumbersome and unnatural to the human ( and old) standard(s).
There’s no such thing as “unnatural to human” about paddle shifting. Driving isn’t a “natural“ thing to human anyway! :ROFLMAO: All you’re admitting is old habit die hard.

That said, I do find the paddle shifter cumbersome. I wish they find a more ergonomic way of going through multiple gears. Realistically though, I lost hope on that long time ago, when bike shifters gone the way of push-push-push… I’m afraid we’re stuck with the flip-flip-flip of the paddle shifters, probably forever. (We could use a Steve Jobs for car-human interface)

2Planker

I drove a Volvo Amazon (122s) for a week w/ NO Brakes in 1978.
Commuted 5 miles to my lifeguarding job in Cambridge MA everyday.
Downshift all the way into first then use the PBrake to come to a complete stop.

No problem

SkiingInABlueDream

I drove a Volvo Amazon (122s) for a week w/ NO Brakes in 1978.
Commuted 5 miles to my lifeguarding job in Cambridge MA everyday.
Downshift all the way into first then use the PBrake to come to a complete stop.

No problem
I can accept that maybe that was feasible... Fifty years ago. (Still sketchy but feasible, if nothing goes wrong) You'd never be able to get away with that today. But even back then that was not a reasonable way to drive. If you ever needed to emergency stop you or a pedestrian would be dead. Even shitty 1970s drum brakes stopped quicker than dropping gears.

SkiingInABlueDream

Sure you can do that when you live in the sticks where there’s no traffic lights to begin with! ;)

On the other hand, I ride my bicycle to go grocery shopping, when I could have gotten there in 1/2 the time by car. You know why? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

(You’re dead right. Some people definitely “rowing their gear for its own sake”. As I said earlier, “driving” is a hobby for some despite it being a utilitarian task by most)
Holy crap you are sooooooooooo left field here😅 And fwiw I'm one those who generally enjoys driving for its own sake

abc

Holy crap you are sooooooooooo left field here😅 And fwiw I'm one those who generally enjoys driving for its own sake
You may enjoy driving for its own sake, but you don’t have monopoly of which aspect of “driving” you enjoy. Others may enjoy it differently than you!

You’re, instead of out the left field, are out the “right field”, by not realizing there’re others enjoying “driving” in their own way.

For the record, none of the cars I owned are stick shifts. But 2 of my long time partners owned stick shift cars. So I got to drive sticks frequently. I definitely enjoy the “driving” part for the fun of it, though not enough to persuade me to own one for everyday use.

Internet Ski Pro

on a long hill is about the only time i am interested in downshifting. The engine in one of my cars is pretty rowdy, and it just doesnt really like the 1000- 1700 rpm range, so when i see a red light ahead, i just tend to knock it into neutral and brake/coast up to the light. its not like im trying to stop a dumptruck, and i personally would rather toss some brake pads on the car rather than a clutch.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Hybrids often have a lower gear you can use that really slows the car down and super charges the battery. Works really well, slowing the car down and almost eliminating any chance that your wheels will break free in snowy conditions.

Reactions: zyk

bigbob

on a long hill is about the only time i am interested in downshifting. The engine in one of my cars is pretty rowdy, and it just doesnt really like the 1000- 1700 rpm range, so when i see a red light ahead, i just tend to knock it into neutral and brake/coast up to the light. its not like im trying to stop a dumptruck, and i personally would rather toss some brake pads on the car rather than a clutch.
I use the jake brake or engine brake when slowing my dump truck as much as possible. It saves the service brakes and keeps them from overheating. I made 40 trips through Franconia Notch back in 08 and never smoked my brakes. most trips where loaded each way. Got on the scale once on a back haul and weighted in at 72,000 lbs. I won't say what the truck was registered at, but I was heavy. Out of my 4 vehicles this is the only one with a stick shift, 8 Low- Low. Fun to shift, not synchronized.