• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

EVs - New Hampshire gets it right

AdironRider

The new Model 3 performance is quite the performance bargain. 45K (with tax credit) for 510 HP and 0-60 in 2.9 seconds is an all time speed deal.

drjeff

View attachment 62741

Maybe belongs in the boating thread.

Is this Granite's setup?
As a guy who grew up hanging on a tow rope behind many Nautiques on Winnipesaukee, appreciate the old school Nautique... but the reality is if one can afford (and feels like their ego needs) a cyber truck, the Nautique on the trailer behind the cyber truck should be either 25yrs newer or a Paragon wake boat version! 🤣🤣

SkiingInABlueDream

I watched it. The driver... what? Lost control of his foot? Had the car on auto drive?
I don't remember reading anything further about it after that clip had its moment, so Ill admit I'm speculating it's driver error, basically the same thing as when you hear about people launching cars into stripmall storefronts from the parking lot. (local news gobbles that shit up). Except with EV's the accel is much quicker. If that clip was an auto-pilot failure I reeeealy think we would have heard about it.
I think cars eventually will be required to have acceleration override; basically if the computer determines there's something in front of the vehicle, dont accelerate even if the driver is giving full throttle. As an old school car person myself, I hate the idea of a decision layer above me when Im at the wheel. But I think it will become necessary for safety. The average driver (and, if you go into the right urban places (cough Cambridge MA cough) pedestrians have become too stupid/careless for their own good.) /rant

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
I don't remember reading anything further about it after that clip had its moment, so Ill admit I'm speculating it's driver error, basically the same thing as when you hear about people launching cars into stripmall storefronts from the parking lot. (local news gobbles that shit up). Except with EV's the accel is much quicker. If that clip was an auto-pilot failure I reeeealy think we would have heard about it.
I think cars eventually will be required to have acceleration override; basically if the computer determines there's something in front of the vehicle, dont accelerate even if the driver is giving full throttle. As an old school car person myself, I hate the idea of a decision layer above me when Im at the wheel. But I think it will become necessary for safety. The average driver (and, if you go into the right urban places (cough Cambridge MA cough) pedestrians have become too stupid/careless for their own good.) /rant
I use cruise control in some spots where the speed limit is really low (25 mph) and police are cranking out the tickets. IMO it is very hard to maintain 25 mph without really concentrating. I feel like driving "slow" I naturally go about 35.

My newest car (Honda CRV) is not nearly as good as my previous car (Honda CRV) at interpreting what is going on ahead of me, often slamming on the breaks when whatever was in front of me is long gone. I agree it sucks.

BenedictGomez

I agree about using engine braking to save brake wear and overheating on very long continuous descents. But I don't think I've ever known anyone (and I have many MT/car enthusiast friends, plus myself) who engine brake allllll the time whenever they decelerate. To do that you'd literally be heel-toe downshifting at every stop sign, red light and traffic bunch up. I've never known anyone to drive like that. (Which is what it sounds like some here are saying they're doing)

The engine braking I only use downhill by shifting into L4, L3, L2, etc.... However, on well-paved roads with a long, steep decline, you dont even need to do that with modern engines. You can just take your foot off the gas in Drive and the vehicle does the rest. There's about a 2.25 - 2.5 mile stretch where I live that I have it down to a science, I accelerate to a bit over 80 to the peak, and I can go several miles at a good speed without having to so much as touch the gas.

Using the terrain is a big part of driving effectively saving gas & wear-and-tear on your brakes. It makes a big differnce. Not to throw my wife under the bus, but she drives a Suby Crosstrek (tiny car) and I drive a GMC Acadia (big SUV), and I change the brakes on her Subaru far more often than the brakes on the Acadia.

BenedictGomez

With EV's combining massive curb weight and massive instantaneous acceleration we can look forward to more shit like this. And worse.
It's the more highway fatalities I've been worried about for a while now.

Of course, you are not so much as even allowed to utter this scientific truth, as it is a media narrative violation to state anything counter to, "EVs good".

#Physics101

Internet Ski Pro

I use the jake brake or engine brake when slowing my dump truck as much as possible. It saves the service brakes and keeps them from overheating. I made 40 trips through Franconia Notch back in 08 and never smoked my brakes. most trips where loaded each way. Got on the scale once on a back haul and weighted in at 72,000 lbs. I won't say what the truck was registered at, but I was heavy. Out of my 4 vehicles this is the only one with a stick shift, 8 Low- Low. Fun to shift, not synchronized.
all of our dumps are being spec'ed with a 6 speed allison auto. i am amazed at the brake life on these trucks. with the six speed, and the engine brake on, as soon as you let your foot off the gas, it downshifts. lots of stopping power. it can be annoying like if you just want to coast, but you just have to keep your foot on the pedal some.
As far as big trucks go, im totally over manuals. driving them, and buying them. i only have 3 manuals left in a fleet of 60 or so. sadly, there arent many truck drivers anymore, just guys with CDL's, and very few can drive stick now. and some of them have the "ladies license" as i call it. (auto only) we have a 10 speed mack which is a problem child, only like 3 people can get that truck out of the parking lot, and they all hate it. but at the end of the day, its the truck that gives me the least amount of aggravation. always makes it home.

abc

It's the more highway fatalities I've been worried about for a while now.

Of course, you are not so much as even allowed to utter this scientific truth, as it is a media narrative violation to state anything counter to, "EVs good".

#Physics101
The only “scientific truth“ is people need to adapt to driving a more powerful car! Put them into any fast ICE cars, they’ll make the same mistake!

It’s not the car’s fault. It’s the driver. The sooner we legalize computerize self-driving, the safer our highways will be. People will finally be drinking their coffee and eating their breakfast in the car safely.

drjeff

The only “scientific truth“ is people need to adapt to driving a more powerful car! Put them into any fast ICE cars, they’ll make the same mistake!

It’s not the car’s fault. It’s the driver. The sooner we legalize computerize self-driving, the safer our highways will be. People will finally be drinking their coffee and eating their breakfast in the car safely.
I don't know about that my *coffee* (actually unsweetened iced tea as I don't drink coffee) and my breakfast sandwich consumption happen once I have left the state road my local coffee shop is on, and have gotten on to the interstate highway I get on for 8 miles to get to my office, and have set my cruise control to 75 (if traffic conditions permit- and they do 75-80% of the time) works like a charm!

1dog

WSJ editorial EPA piece is interesting. We can't even produce enough electricity now without over-bearing regulation that causes: a. high prices - hurting the poor; and b. not enough to power regions in hot weather; c. limits gas powered plants which are half as CO2 producing. . . . .

its worth the read.